Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Yesternow

Yesternow Forum pResident

After 1977 he chose a path for his sound that I disliked. His link to smooth jazz is a turn of. Even the album covers are uninteresting. But beneath the commercial success the following albums had, there are great tracks you should check.
    Now playing 100 minutes of Grover Washington Jr (KUDU):

(Part1) Mister Magic, recorded 1974
    [​IMG]

bluemooze and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  2. Yesternow

(Part2) Feels So Good, recorded 1975
    [​IMG]

Whoever writes a piece like Moonstreams has all my attention.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    bluemooze and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  3. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Ornette ColemanOrnette At 12 (Impulse – Universal Music / Real Gone Music)
    — Ornette Coleman - alto saxophone, trumpet, violin; Dewey Redman - tenor saxophone; Charlie Haden - bass; Denardo Coleman - drums; recorded live in concert at the Hearst Greek Amphiteatre, UC Berkeley in 1968.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

4. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Zoot Sims / Joe PassBlues For Two (Pablo Records)
    — Zoot Sims (tenor sax), Joe Pass (guitar)

[​IMG]

bluemooze, Six String and Lonson like this.
  5. Yesternow

And finally,
    (Part3) A Secret Place, recorded 1975
    [​IMG]
    3 in a row... Great listen.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  6. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

Loving Night Dreamer by Wayne Shorter, I bought it in a 5 CD set & neglected it in favour of the other albums to begin with but it's a real grower, what a line up too with Elvin Jones & McCoy Tyner.

7. Six String

Six String Senior Member

NP Coltrane - Ballads (Impulse) black & orange stereo pressing

8. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I’d say Night Dreamer might also be a grower but it’s definitely a shower. Today’s material for the back and forth to the office:

Bill Evans - Complete Sunday at the Village Vanguard

[​IMG]

I played disc 2 of this, which would be the 1st two evening sets, for the morning ride.

Donald Byrd - Fancy Free (SHM-CD)

[​IMG]

Miles Davis - The Cellar Door Sessions

[​IMG]

And played disc 3 of this.

9. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

"The Ralph Sharon Trio Swing the Sammy Cahn Songbook" featuring Gerry Mulligan, DRG cd.

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  10. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Freddie Hubbard - Breaking Point (Blue Note) Heavenly Sweetness reissue

I have all but given up on getting an affordable version of this album on vinyl so this reissue is working as a place holder in case I get lucky. I prefer it to the Van Gelder Remastered cd. It was the only BN missing in my Hubbard collection on vinyl. Maybe some day I'll get lucky. Yeah right.......The music is wonderful and includes the underrated James Spaulding along with Joe Chambers on drums which is always a sign of quality imo. A friend of mine likes to talk about Curtis Fuller being the secret sauce on his favorite Blakey albums. Imo James Spaulding is the secret sauce on many a blue note album. being proficient on both alto sax and flute provides some textural variety on this and other recordings.

11. Lonson

Adriana Calcanhotto "Perfil"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  12. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

Second that. One of my favorite recordings. The sound of the recording is a great as the performances itself. I have a hard time getting past the 1st disc because it's so good. The More I See You into Dream Monk is fantastic and the cover of River Man is epic.

13. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

Was playing (I saw this posted up thread also but can't find it right now): Soul Zodiac. I picked this up on used vinyl at a after xmas 30% off sale and couldn't pass it up. Of course my wife being a Taurus she loved it! It probably won't get a ton of spins but sure is a fun listen.

[​IMG]

Six String, bluemooze and Yesternow like this.
  14. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

Back to work and giving this a sample on Spotify. Cannonball Adderley: The David Axelrod Years

I dig early George Duke stuff so it's hitting the spot at least right now.

[​IMG]

15. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

16. Joe F

Joe F Senior Member

This mornings listening[​IMG]

17. Lonson

Snorre Kirk "Drummer & Composer" Stunt Records cd

[​IMG]

Alto Saxophone, Clarinet – Klas Lindquist
    Bass – Lasse Mørck
    Piano - Magnus Hjorth
    Cornet – Tobias Wiklund
    Drums – Snorre Kirk
    Tenor Saxophone – Jan Harbeck

This is quite good, surprisingly Ellingtonian in a Lincoln Jazz Center sort of way.

Electric likes this.
  18. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

The first disc -- and I dunno, are these whole sets or just shrewdly edited recordings from a Vanguard run? -- IS better than the second, I think it's just exceptional from start to finish, really one of the best piano trio jazz records I've ever heard, and that includes all the usual acknowledged classics.

19. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I’ve been meaning to add this one to my collection forever but haven’t gotten around to it. I really dig the River Man version that’s on one of the other Art albums and need to hear this one too. I guess I could always stream the album and check it out myself, but I’ve always been curious what was up with “Dream Monk”, I sort of always assumed it was just a typo and it was actually just a rendition of “Monk’s Dream”.

20. Yesternow

Yeah WorldB3,
    Soul Zodiac, the Axelrod years, George Duke playing, that was all mentioned recently.
    But I'm quoting you just to say you're a lucky guy. Not because you bought that album but the fact that your wife likes it.
    Man, my wife hates my jazz :p.

What about the rest of you guys ?! Is jazz listening a lonely pleasure for you as well ?

Mook likes this.
  21. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

She loves mostly piano trio's and the 60's BN's but doesn't mind something with a little funk also but Miles fusion era and free jazz not so much. She didn't like jazz guitar but I won her over with Grant Green and she has been enjoying the live Wes Montgomery in Seattle and Paris releases almost as much as I this year.

Hates, hates Prog Rock but that is expected. Pink Floyd and King Crimson is for when I am home alone. Likes the Dead but pretty much sticks to 72 and 77.

22. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

Monk's Dream is an original by him, he has been quoted as his biggest influences being Monk and Beethoven. Not sure if I hear it but artists have what they aspire to be but then their own style comes out which is the fun part.

dzhason likes this.
  23. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Conversation:
    @c-eling this is not exactly what you were asking about in the other thread, but look how Lon saves space with his jazz collection.

Jazz: time for Miles Davis, Jazz Track LP

bluemooze, dzhason and c-eling like this.
  24. Six String

Six String Senior Member

WP Quincy Jones - Big Band Bossa Nova (Mercury) mono orig.
    My friend who loves the art of arranging convinced me to take this home. It's ok but there has to be more than cool arrangements for me. Like cool songs. :)

NP Johnny Griffin - Introducing aka Chicago Calling (Blue Note) Classic Records 200gm Quiex SV-P vinyl, mono
    With Wynton Kelly, Curly Russell and Max Roach.

bluemooze and vanhooserd like this.
  25. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Given my wife's fondness for piano based music, at her request earlier tonight I actually threw some Brubeck (Time Out, Anything Goes), Monk (Straight, No Chaser), Oscar Peterson (Night Train, Canadiana Suite) and Miles (Kind Of Blue, In A Silent Way) on her iPod. My wife certainly doesn't hate jazz, but she definitely knows what she likes and what she doesn't. I know what I can and can't play when she's around, I'm well trained that way:laugh:

Sneaky Pete and bluemooze like this.