Sgt Pepper Not Voted Best Album Shock!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by richierichie, Aug 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Different strokes and all that. Not a big deal at all.

2. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

Not at all. Just wanting some firm, crisp debate.:D

ralphb likes this.
  3. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

It always deserves to be up there, but there's still 8 minutes of arguably disposable music right in the middle with George's least successful, meandering Indian composition, and the annoyingly cutesy "When I'm Sixty-Four." I definitely think, given the 70 years of competition, whatever is the "best album of all time" on any given day should be devoid of filler and weak spots.

Now imagine if they'd led off side two with "Strawberry Fields" and "Penny Lane" instead...

psychtrailmix and Crimson Witch like this.
  4. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

Not wishing to turn this into yet another Pepper discussion thread LOL, but I'd have had no problem had they replaced 'Within You Without You' with 'Strawberry..' and 'Penny..' for side two of Pepper. Not that I don't love that Harrison track; if it had been a non-album single, A or B-side, it would have made no real difference to me, I'd still have it in my CD player either way!
    :)

*edit:
    Agree, by the way, with your view on 'When I'm 64'

5. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Pepper a good vehicle for Lennons music.

Crimson Witch likes this.
  6. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

Revolver is at best #4 for my top Beatles albums. It doesn't really bother me that it has a big following. I just don't understand how an album with an awful kids tune like Yellow Submarine can overcome that and be best all time. I don't really care for Got To Get You Into My Life, but it's not a bad song like Yellow Submarine.

They should have put Rain on it and left YS to the album for the film.

7. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

The shforum TOP 100 album list from 2008 was much better.

8. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

not surprising they must have heard the remix...

9. Psychedelic Good Trip

10. Crimson Witch

That's just about the only way they could have made Revolver better in my opinion

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  11. Psychedelic Good Trip

Shared this on the other pepper threads.

Hardy Melville and Crimson Witch like this.
  12. Minty_fresh

Minty_fresh Forum Resident

You forgot the ā€œ/sā€ at the end of this because there is no reality where this is true. NONE.

13. AZRunner

AZRunner Forum Resident

Great, another list your favor Beatles albums thread.

14. ccbarr

ccbarr Forum Resident

A very nice list, the only 3 I don't have are Kind Of Blue, Disintegration and Horses. I'll have to check those 3 out.

15. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

For a long while Sgt. Pepper was overrated, now it's Revolver.^^

Aftermath likes this.
  16. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

No R&B, no country, no traditional pop, only one jazz...

ralphb likes this.
  17. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I love "The Inner Light," it's a really wonderful fusion of two disparate musical styles, and "Love You To" is already on an album side where every song sounds like it was from a different project, so it doesn't stick out so badly. But "Within You" is so out of place on Pepper, on top of being at least two minutes too long. It's not so terrible it should've never been released, but probably better relegated to a b-side or future Harrison side project (since it didn't involve any other Beatles). I grew up listening to the album on CD, where it definitely interrupts the flow of the album, but I wonder if it was used to lead off Side two, because there was basically no other place to put it.

18. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

What I thought.

The one big surprise for me is the inclusion of Queen II, an album that DEFINITELY should get more recognition! :thumbsup:

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    stax o' wax likes this.
  19. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

And again... Lennon never wrote that line. He lifted it from "Baby Let's Play House".

20. Crimson Witch

Indeed.
    Either way, he included it in his song;
    The point I was making was simply about the use of literary device.

Darrin L. likes this.
  21. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

I find it strange that Queen II makes the list, but no other Queen album?

A Night At The Opera? News Of The World? Sheer Heart Attack? Where are these??

Definitely sounds like some kind of prog-rock bias to me... :shrug:

Sondek likes this.
  22. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Love Pillow?

Wasn't that an album by Spinal Tap? :righton:

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  23. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

The point I'm making is I doubt he even put that much thought into it. It was throwaway, album filler, and the song he cited as the one he most regretted writing. I imagine he wrote it in a matter of minutes. These are themes that permeated early rock 'n' Roll, and Chicago blues. To be offended by such mindless tripe as "Run for Your Life" means one would have to disavow all that music that came before.

24. cartologist

cartologist Just the son of an Iowa girl

Your argument is whataboutery.* And you imagine motivations for my extreme distaste for this song without asking - you're just telling me.

My argument is not with the artistic merits of "Run For Your Life" (itself a risible title) in its times or as a loving hommage to Elvis. My argument is that the difference between brilliant and perfect for Rubber Soul (UK or US) lies with that song. [Despite being old (57), I had never even heard of "Baby Let's Play House" until I read about ten or so years ago.]

John may have been clever as all folk, but his songs are frequently demonstrations of the fine line that exists between heavy sarcasm and bad taste (which is plausibly a description of sixties Britain popular culture in a nutshell, but I'm not talking about that).

As for the whataboutist list: "Hey Joe" is just... different. "Down By the River" is kind of all over the place and none of Neil's albums are on my top twenty list. As for "China Girl," despite my avatar I'm not arguing that Let's Dance is the greatest album of all time, nor even in Bowie's top ten. If you want a good Bowie boy kills girl song, try "Sue (Or In a Season of Crime)."

Back to my argument: In and of itself and in critical context -- the album and only the album -- the song is vile and drops Rubber Soul far off my list of greatest albums ever.

*:Whataboutism (also known as whataboutery) is a variant of the tu quoque logical fallacy that attempts to discredit an opponent's position by charging them with hypocrisy without directly refuting or disproving their argument." (Wikipedia)

25. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I have them all except the Monkees album.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.