Jimmy Page says previously unheard Led Zeppelin music will be released for band's 50th anniversary

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bartels76, Dec 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

Sorry, but to me "unheard Led Zeppelin music" doesn't mean live recordings -- especially since I'm not a big fan of concert recordings anyway.

2. It's way too soon after the recent series of album reissues for them to have another go at the studio albums, as in a systematic reissue campaign, imho, whether it involves remixing, 5.1, or whatever.

supernaut, Bonddm and rockclassics like this.
  3. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

All valid points, and most likely correct. Something like EC is more palatable to casual fans than Bath or Osaka. I know Jimmy has been talking about the chronological live album for decades, but at this point with everything that's been released (and it all being so heavily weighted toward the 1969-73 end of their career), I'm less interested in that than I would be for even an EC release (plus, they kind of already did the chronological thing with the DVD).

4. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

The studio albums in 5.1 is the only thing that would really exite me, maybe some live stuff from 69/70/71 too..

Blue Note likes this.
  5. Ram4

Ram4 Lookin' good

When you combine his quote with John Davis posting that he was "mostly mastering Led Zeppelin" with a photo of Page live (from North America 1975) plus the recent studio albums all being remastered with bonus discs to me that means live stuff would be next. But I hope it's not all speculation just to end up with the sections of Swan Song, which technically is still "unheard Led Zeppelin music." I don't need anymore studio Zeppelin unless they pull some things from the multitracks themselves. I really want lots of live albums now!

6. vinyldreams

vinyldreams Forum Resident

I can see Page releasing Earl's Court and further infuriate the hardcore fans by editing out the Woodstock section of D&C.

7. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Agreed, Page likely viewed the “DVD” as his chronological live album/project. Still, some of the remaining live audio multitracks are not ideal candidates for exclusive releases (Southampton), so some form of a chronological live CD set would make sense.

DrBeatle likes this.
  8. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Yeah but there will be a fan version that puts it back.

DrBeatle likes this.
  9. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

Imagine a Dylan or Dead sized monster box covering 68,69,70,71,72,73,75,77,79,80 with multitracks soundboards and even audience tapes.
    I know really it`s probably just a reissue with a few extra songs.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  10. I’m currently scrolling through my Presence super deluxe book and I see an ad for Madison square garden thanking the band for a 6 night run. Do you think any of these were multitracked by the band? Seems like a great (missed?) opportunity.

Dark Horse 77 likes this.
  11. Ram4

Ram4 Lookin' good

No 1977 shows were multitracked. They probably would have taped the final show in Philadelphia. They were not at their best on that tour. And forget MSG, the LA Forum 6 night run was even better (by 1977 standards).

12. nolazep

nolazep Burrito Enthusiast

Ram4 speaks the truth. There's pretty much nothing from 77 they didn't do better in 75 (and pretty much nothing from 75 they didn't do better in 73). There ARE bright spots for sure, but by and large the 77 tour was a train wreck waiting to happen.

Multitracking the 77 tour would have involved at least 2 tape machines and dedicated engineers, not to mention an insane amount of tape to record a 3 1/2 hour show every night. Don't forget that Jimmy's nickname was "Led Wallet".

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    Rockin' Robby, MoonPool, Sean and 2 others like this.
  13. My thought was that tracking would be logical with so many nights in one venue and maybe being able to piece together a ‘best of’ all six nights. Too bad they didn’t record. They always played better in LA... that’s a given.

DrBeatle likes this.
  14. nolazep

nolazep Burrito Enthusiast

They had just released a double live album the year before (which didn't get the best reviews) so maybe recording another was low on the priority list.

15. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

Live Led Zeppelin was a major factor in their existence. It helped define their direction in the studio.
    When they were on, it was other-worldly.

MoonPool, Sean, DrBeatle and 3 others like this.
  16. edkeef

edkeef Forum Resident

I find it hard to believe (not questioning what seems a certainty) that they did not record anything(?) in 1977 or 1980. Just curious to those who know.... was the decision made not to do so because they knew they weren't that good? Because of the expense? Because of TSRTS having been released recently? It just seems to me even at the time, they should have been thinking archive or for history purposes. They Were aware they were one of the biggest bands in the world, if not the biggest one. The fact that no one brought it up or argued for it to be done.... does anyone no more details as to the decision, or lack of, regarding documenting live performances from 1975 and onward?

17. FrixFrixFrix

FrixFrixFrix Senior Member

The '77 American tour was cut short halfway through when Plant's son died and the '80 European tour was just a warmup for the American tour.

18. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

To me it means that! And a fan of live recordings or not, Led Zeppelin is a band that definitely could use a bit more representation of their legacy as being a live band, especially IMO 1975 onwards

Sean, DrBeatle and Dark Horse 77 like this.
  19. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

CODA was expanded for the last release campaign with NOS (new old stuff). I guess that’s it, you won’t get anymore undiscovered LZ studio recordings for a while.

Page also released the famous Yardbirds at the Anderson theater lately. I wouldn’t be surprise that he is steering the Zeppelin towards KCCC, Neil Young, Grateful Dead and Dylan ´Live archives’ box sets concept.

20. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Allegedly there were plans to record some shows from the final leg of the tour.

21. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

He'd better not...the "Woodstock" section is probably the only part of those '75 "Dazed"s I actually like! They shoulda kept "How Many More Times" in the set instead of D&C like they did in the early '75 gigs.

vinyldreams likes this.
  22. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Absolutely! "All manner of things" could mean everything but music, film and records!

23. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

I agree there are better live performances than Earls Court but given the history of these shows an Earls Court deluxe would possibly sell like hotcakes in my opinion.

24. snipe

snipe Forum Resident

Agree on HMMT, but didn't they only play it because Page had a broken finger?

DrBeatle likes this.
  25. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Something like that...they still shoulda kept it in the set for the entire '75 tour, though. IMO "Dazed" was all played out after 1973.

ODShowtime and rockclassics like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.