Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

I’ve started dipping my toes in the vast ocean of jazz music. I picked up this album:

The Duke Ellington Orchestra - Digital Duke
    GRD-9548
    GRP Records
    1987 USA Pressing

I’m really enjoying it. It’s feel good music and creates a sense of nostalgia. Very smooth. It’s got everything - sax, piano, subtle drums :)

2. soundfanz

soundfanz Forum Resident

[​IMG]

I’ve been listening to a heap of Vandermark of late, and of all the great groups that he is a member of, DKV Trio is my favourite.
    Having one of the great drummers on board in Hamid Drake doesn’t hurt either. :)

A fabulous 5 disc set.

3. hyde park

hyde park Forum Resident

Last week, they just did a two night stand in Chicago and one show in Milwaukee with Joe McPhee -- I was out of town for the holidays, though. I still haven't gotten around to grab this set, yet.

soundfanz likes this.
  4. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

Definitely, I usually listen to an album quietly after my missus goes to bed.

One night she even complained about Someday My Prince Will Come, I find it impossible to comprehend how anyone could find that offensive but she did.

Needless to say things like the Mahavishnu Orchestra go on when she's out of the house completely.

5. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

It's a common problem. There are a lucky few whose partners enjoy jazz deeply. But I long ago dropped that as a criteria for a mate and luckily so as I've found splendid mates! Beats decades of loneliness.

My youngest brother shares my love of jazz and told me once he was watching an episode of a TV show and there was a cocktail party going and a Coltrane piece was playing and a young woman turned to another and said "That's John Coltrane." My brother said if he had been there he would have done whatever he could to get that woman to go out with him! That made me laugh. . . but I also know that he WOULD have. My brother finally married. . . to a woman who loves music as much as he does, classical music and plays violin and . . . she HATES jazz. :)

6. Lonson

I'm listening to this one again. I paid a dollar for this and didn't know what to expect but I sure didn't expect it to sound like a 'fifties Ellington small group record. I'm really digging it.

Sneaky Pete and Electric like this.
  7. Lonson

Chick Corea "Origin" (the single disc release, not one of the discs in the box set).

[​IMG]

I really like this band and music, probably my favorite Corea of the last three decades.

bluemooze likes this.
  8. conjotter

conjotter Forum Resident

Beautiful music from an interesting mix of artists, including the late, great (Canadian) Kenny Wheeler.

The usual impeccable ECM production.

[​IMG]

Starwanderer and bluemooze like this.
  9. Yesternow

Yesternow Forum pResident

Thanks Lonson, always enjoy reading your posts.
    My wife will never read this, but I have to set something straight: she likes jazz. Vocal jazz you might call it. The classics and some new like Diana Krall. She's a fan of good Brazilian music: Gal Costa, Caetano... But I'm posting this because she was the one who had the Getz-Gilberto album. And that album was one of reasons why I started this jazz passion.
    But yes, she hates MY long wierd electric instrumental jazz :)

10. Lonson

My wife likes a little bit of jazz. She can handle mellow guitar jazz, mellow vocal jazz, emphasis on the mellow, she doesn't like anything she classifies as "busy" which is anything that is beyond simply lyrical ballad playing mostly. And she can tolerate what she tolerates for about a half an hour. So occasionally I get to share some music but mostly my music is on my time. . . which is okay. I'm used to that, I have learned to enjoy that.

Right now
    Jose James "Yesterday I Had the Blues" Blue Note
    [​IMG]

Starwanderer, bluemooze and Yesternow like this.
  11. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

Looks and sounds interesting. I will have to get this.

Lonson likes this.
  12. alamo54us

alamo54us Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    I'm a little late on this one, but it was part of my Christmas haul from my wife. Gave the CD a spin this morning and was knocked out by how good it sounds. Great!

13. Jim Walker

Jim Walker Senior Member

Research did no good but my memory bank finally sparked yesterday.
    It was Danny Toan ~~ First Serve. He was from Germany, but I've
    not heard it over 30 yrs and surprised myself by remembering it.
    Any one ever listen to this?

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  14. Lonson

Tom Lagana "Schematic" featuring George Garzone

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  15. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

It gets better with each listen. I was hesitant because I already have so many live Bill Evans recordings with Eddie Gomez and I wasn’t that wowed by the studio release recordings with Jack DeJonette but this blew me away.

Resonance records hit it out of the park this year with this release and the Wes Montgomery live in Paris release (the CD should be out soon if you missed the vinyl).

alamo54us, Morbius and jay.dee like this.
  16. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

WP: Disc 2 - Complete Bud Powell on Verve.

[​IMG]

It's been many years since I played this. Love the booklet and the information but not sure we need all of the false starts and break downs or the tracks where is really struggling. It might have served his legacy better if they just released the best stuff on a 3 cd set. When was on however he was breathtaking.

Starwanderer, bluemooze and fatwad666 like this.
  17. Rob C

Rob C Forum Resident

The new Threadgill is excellent! I think if you didn't jump on it while it was released on Bandcamp for a day or two, you have to wait until March for the "real" release. Threadgill's music is always vital and fascinating. He's a real treasure.

JHC3 likes this.
  18. Lonson

Joao Paulo "Almas" with Peter Epstein (alto and soprano saxophones) and Carlos Bica (contrabass violin).

[​IMG]

Piano, sax, bass. . . very nice.

bluemooze likes this.
  19. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now streaming on Spotify, "Peggy Lee - The Lost '40s & '50s Capitol Masters" on Capitol (for the download - the CD is on Collector's Choice).

Amazon reviewer 'Dr. Joseph Lee' has a great writeup on this album on the Amazon page. :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  20. Lonson

Trying out an Audio Magic Super Fuse in my Decware ZROCK2 listening to Antonio Carlos Jobim "Stone Flower"--the CTI Supreme Series Blu-Spec CD version from King Records Japan.

Sneaky Pete and bluemooze like this.
  21. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now streaming on Spotify, "Cannonball Adderley Quintet In Chicago" on Mercury.

Cannonball Adderley - alto saxophone (except on #5)
    John Coltrane - tenor saxophone (except on #2)
    Wynton Kelly - piano
    Paul Chambers - bass
    Jimmy Cobb - drums

[​IMG]

Starwanderer, vanhooserd and Joe F like this.
  22. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

I really think this is the key to it all Lonson. Ive been coming to this realization slowly over the last few years. But It’s one think to recognize it, I think it takes even greater strength to implement. Well done, though I imagine it is a thing that requires daily attention to sustain.....

Jim Walker likes this.
  23. danasgoodstuff

danasgoodstuff Forum Resident

Some of the best, non-romanticized, writing I've ever read on Bud is in those notes.

Lonson, WorldB3 and Marzz like this.
  24. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

I couldnt agree with you more re Spaulding. I just made the same case to a jazz hound friend last month .....

25. Joe F

Joe F Senior Member

About to put this on the turntable.

[​IMG]