King Crimson Jan - Oct 1973

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Craig Williams, Jan 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Craig Williams

Craig Williams Forum Resident Thread Starter

As far as I can see this period of KC has not been represented in the boxsets (coming in between the LTIA and Starless boxes). Looking at tour dates Crimson seemed to be on the road consistently in this period - does anyone know if there are enough 'useable' recordings in this timeframe to create another boxset?

2. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I think there are only a few audience tapes and maybe one or two FM or soundboard cassettes..?

3. Jimbino

Jimbino Goad Kicker, Music Lover

At present, the best recordings available can be found here: DGM Live .
    Look for the shows with the download arrow; it appears the earliest one is April 9, 1973.

Archtop, asdf35 and gillcup like this.
  4. penguinzzz

penguinzzz Forum Resident

There's a decent soundboard from Atlanta (June), and a very good recording from Arlington (Oct) that was included as a bonus in the Starless box - can't remember if this was recorded from onstage? There's also a show from Cleveland (April) from a broadcast but it sounds pretty rough.

But apart from those it's just audience tapes (lots of them), the best one to start with may be Paris (April). The music is of course amazing especially in the earlier shows, but probably not enough to justify another box set.

Kalli, asdf35, aphexj and 1 other person like this.
  5. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Unfortunately, there are not really a lot of good quality shows available from this period, which is a shame because from what I've heard, this transitional post-Muir phase is fascinating. The Richard's Club show is an OK soundboard recording, but there's a loud buzzing noise throughout that is distracting. The Paris show is excellent, though this is just a decent audience recording. I noticed that they recently added the Detroit show from May of '73 at DGM, but the sound quality doesn't appear to be any better. The previously mentioned Arlington, TX show from the fall is also quite good, featuring some early takes on then new material that would appear on Starless & Bible Black. All in all, there just doesn't appear to be enough viable material for another Starless-style box.

6. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

There is definitely a surplus of audience recordings out there with some of the most unique improvs you can find from this lineup. They hit on a groove in one improv from Leeds (March 1973) that deserves some special attention, but unfortunately the quality on this tape -and many tapes of this period - is poor. It is still listenable if you are familiar with and forgiving of old audience tapes.

I would be all for a box set, although I reluctantly understand if some are scared away by rough tapes. DGM could at least host the tapes as downloads. I'm also fond of the first US tapes from this lineup

I do have one gripe in this field - these tapes used to be shared freely, often times by the person who recorded them. At some point DGM banned KC tapes from music sharing sites and this process dried up. The idea was that DGM would host and provide these shows. Problem is, not every dude with a tape got the memo so a lot of tapes just sit in closets - unable to be shared. We can only hope the best versions get to DGM and they FLAC 'em. All in (over)due time I suppose. I believe DGM recently added a later 1973 Italian gig.

crozcat, jay.dee and penguinzzz like this.
  7. Craig Williams

Craig Williams Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies everyone. I wonder why they didn't just put these extra gigs on one of the blurays like they've done for Sailor's Tales...

asdf35 likes this.
  8. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

My hope (and holy grail) is that they will be combined with reels of late 1972 rehearsals, or "blows" - like on the Sailores Tales box. This guy treasures all those scraps!

Archtop likes this.
  9. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

By my accounting, there were 89 shows from Feb 10, 1973 through Oct 29, 1973. We do, of course, have the Glasgow show from Oct 23, 1973 and some really fine material on discs 25-26 of the Starless box, which includes Oct 6, 1973 and a very teeth-melting version of Dr. Diamond from June 23, 1973 on Disc 26. But there's a typo on the bonus disc holder, as tracks 1-3 on disc 26 and tracks 8-10 on disc 26 are both attributed to Oct 6, 1973, but the former being in Arlington, TX and the latter being from Mainz, Germany. So, there is some material out there, but I'd love to hear more...

jay.dee and asdf35 like this.
  10. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

As a member of the "1000 club" on DGMLive I am looking for the most clever way of using my $400 balance left, which I have to use before February.
    What I want is shows or tours that will definitely not appear on future boxsets. This topic might very well be what I'm looking for.

11. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

I doubt the Mr. Stormy hot tickle bumper collections will be compiled, although bits of them have appeared on box sets before

12. Zongadude

Yes. I bought all 8 volumes, and I'm waiting for the ninth one, but it doesn't seem to appear.

13. Reese

Reese Just because some watery tart threw a sword!

I found the Travis & Fripp concerts from 2009 and 2010 to be very enjoyable.

14. Zongadude

Thank you for the suggestion. I'll check them out.

15. Bill Cormier

Bill Cormier Forum Resident

Same problem they have with the `81 shows unfortunately. They were on fire that first year !

16. Tristero

You can find some stuff out there on YouTube. This earlier show from Zurich doesn't sound too bad.

Kalli and jay.dee like this.
  17. Tristero

This improv is fascinating because you can hear the early emergence of "Starless" in the middle.

Archtop, Kalli, jay.dee and 1 other person like this.
  18. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

I spent almost my entire 1000 Club allotment on all the available Double Trio shows - the lineup nearest and dearest to my heart. I'm still working my way through them.

19. Zongadude

That's not a bad idea, considering the THRAK box has already been issued. It might be a good idea to fill the gaps. I was also wondering about the ProjeKcts from 1997 onward. Pretty sure no box will ever be produced.
    (Sorry if this part of the conversation is not really on topic. Do you think I should create a separate topic for this matter ?)

rtalwani likes this.
  20. Tristero

I noticed that they've also added the Waterbury show (5/6/73) over on DGM. Again, it's just an audience recording, but I guess we take what we can get. Has anyone had a chance to download the latest additions?

21. Tristero

Here's an interesting new bootleg from Rome that I stumbled on that features an early prototype of Fracture:

One of the things that I like best about this '73 period is that the line up feels more equally balanced between the various members. As much as I love the '74 shows, by that point, they fearsome Bruford-Wetton rhythm section had achieved such dominance and Cross became marginalized.

Kalli, albertop and jay.dee like this.
  22. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

April 1 1973 Dusseldorf show has been added to DGMLive. Is a bootleg of audience origin with expectedly crunchy sound.

23. Phoenician

Phoenician Resident Forum

Does anyone know the story behind the 6/25/73 recording of "Easy Money/Improv" from Central Park? The video is on youtube, and appears to be professionally shot/recorded. It's included on Disc 24 (blu-ray 2) of the Starless box. It seems odd to me that they would have taken the trouble/expense to record 12 minutes and not the whole show.

TFEC likes this.
  24. TFEC

TFEC Opinion Holder

I think the cameras were there mostly to film Black Oak Arkansas!

Phoenician likes this.
  25. Tristero

That's a great clip. They're all really cutting loose with abandon and Fripp's on fire. I would kill to see the complete performance.

Phoenician likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.