Waiting for the Sun & The Soft Parade

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by The Doctor, Dec 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. abor1g

abor1g Forum Resident

i have all the doors in AP 45rpm except 2 : the 2 ones in the title of the thread

2. anastasios

anastasios Forum Resident

C'mon Marianne sounds like Iggy's Lust For Life. Really i can't hear nothing close to Touch Me

3. strummer101

strummer101 The insane on occasion aren't without their charms

You're right about Lust For Life. You're wrong about Touch Me. They're all similar.

Nick Dunning, munjeet and anastasios like this.
  4. A Saucerful of Scarlets

A Saucerful of Scarlets Commenter Turned Viewer

I mentioned it but I don't blame you for having not read my long comment of nonsense. It's got a killer riff, shame it's too buried into the mix. Should be front and centre.

Duke Fame likes this.
  5. anastasios

anastasios Forum Resident

Ok i just heard it all. similar music themes, you are right

strummer101 likes this.
  6. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Not a personal top five song for me, but definitely an excellent Doors track and a highlight from The Soft Parade.

Duke Fame likes this.
  7. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

WfS commits two cardinal sins: it's short on playing time but still contains some filler. That said, I still like it but it's several steps down from the debut and S.D.

Soft Parade is what I would describe as a weak album, with the band uncertain as to what it wanted to be: a pop act or a 'serious' rock band (a dichotomy it resolved with the final two studio albums). Even so, I enjoy it with the exception of Do It and Wild Child. The title track is very memorable.

8. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

The Soft Parade is my favorite Doors album.

9. MoonPool

MoonPool Senior Member

I hadn't given a lot of thought to Waiting for the Sun in the recent past. I loved it when it came out, so this thread inspired me to revisit it and Soft Parade. I think Waiting for the Sun is my 2nd favorite Doors LP, following Strange Days. I think Soft Parade is weaker by far. My favorite Doors material is the stuff they did that no other bands were doing then - things like Waiting for the Sun, Strange Days, The Crystal Ship, I Can't See Your Face In My Mind, My Eyes Have Seen You, Not to Touch the Earth, Spanish Caravan, Five to One, Moonlight Drive, You're Lost, Little Girl, etc. I was never a big fan of their blues numbers (although at the time, Back Door Man was cool and the band I was in then covered it, as did almost every other band I knew of).

Boswell likes this.
  10. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

It's getting harder to describe sailors to the underfed.

Seriously though, when the Soft Parade song really starts cooking and takes full-flight, it might be my favorite Doors song. The layers of vocals and trance-jam is effing amazing.

11. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

Wild Child and My Wild Love.
    I get these two songs mixed up. Even now I cannot recall which is which or what one of them even sounds like. I know one is like an Indian chant, but the other, no clue.

Duke Fame and asdf35 like this.
  12. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

One is an American Indian Chant, the other is an American Indian proto-punk song.

California Couple and Duke Fame like this.
  13. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

'Wild Child' is the one that rocks. Krieger's guitar on it is pretty awesome.

14. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

Turns out I have both of these on my computer and I recognize them right away, but I thought the titles were reversed per the songs.

And I thought this Jim Isn't Dead clue was on L.A. Woman.

"Remember when we were in Africa?"

asdf35 likes this.
  15. gonz

gonz Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Old Rusty likes this.
  16. gonz

gonz Forum Resident

RL version!?

17. Curwin

Curwin Well-Known Member

My three favourite Doors albums go in reverse order. LA Woman, Morrison Hotel, and The Soft Parade. It's definitely a different vibe than their other releases. Waiting for the Sun has high highs and low lows for me. I had an old guitar magazine where Mike McCready was asked what the inspiration for the Alive solo was. He said something along the lines of he copied She by Kiss who copied Five to One. haha

18. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

"When I was back there in seminary school..."

EddieMann likes this.
  19. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

I was only 12 but Touch Me/Wild Child is a pretty good, pretty neat 45.

Six Bachelors and Mike Reynolds like this.
  20. Nick Dunning

Nick Dunning Forum Resident

I don't think I've ever managed to actually listen to the whole 'Soft Parade' LP. It's really not good at all. The boat was taking in water and sinking fast.

That they came back with the seriously rocking 'Morrison Hotel' and then the superlative 'L.A. Woman' is almost miraculous in my book.

I do like 'Waiting For The Sun', it's the most 'poppy' Doors LP, and that's not a criticism. Yes, they were obviously scrambling for material as things went bent with the 'Celebration Of The Lizard', but it's still a great LP.

uzn007 likes this.
  21. gonz

gonz Forum Resident

yeah, i had trouble with soft parade at first. i felt it was like bill murray's lounge act bit on snl. but music was expensive back then, so i kept listening to it. learned to love it.

now iiiiiiiiii'm gonna looooove ya...

[​IMG]

22. Curwin

Curwin Well-Known Member

haha. I thought the same and the album kept growing on me. The Tell All the People outro has the same vibe

23. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

Quite a beautiful song once you get past all that screaming. :winkgrin:

24. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

Yes sir. It's a CRC copy in discogs you have to look up record club version. 1970. RL SS.

25. Quasimodo

Quasimodo Senior Member

For those that don't care much for WCBSGT, I would suggest checking out the single version from the recent singles box set. Much punchier, cooler bass intro, and omits the twee Morrison scat in the middle.

On an unrelated note....I cut out the "Petition the Lord with Prayer" bit as a stand alone track and spliced it in as the intro to Harrison's "My sweet Lord". Always gets a laugh at party's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.