Denon DVD 2910

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by DHamilton, Jan 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DHamilton

DHamilton Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hello Everyone,

Found a great deal on a Denon 2910 universal player and couldn't help but buy it. Ive read all the issues with this model but thought I would go for it anyways (laser issues/tray issues etc...) I also just got a Onkyo TX NR676 AVR (7.1 capable) and will play the Denon through the Onkyo. What is the ideal hook up for playing CD's/SACD/HDCD's on the Denon? Should I just run an HDMI from the Denon into the HDMI port on the Onkyo? Or should they be connected via RCA inputs/outputs? I would like the option to play SACD in 5.1 as I believe both the receiver and player are capable. Any advice would be appreciated.

thanks,
    DH

c-eling likes this.
  2. JimW

JimW In the Process of Becoming

I'm not sure which has the better DAC, your AVR or the Denon; regardless, I'd suggest using HDMI. I believe the benefits from being able to use audyssey (which you can't on 5.1 analog inputs), outweighs any benefits of a better DAC in the 2910 (if they truly are better- very likely the Onkyo has as good or better).

I have a 2930 that I loved, but which had the laser go bad (very common from what I've read). Other than that, a very nice player. A new laser was only $19 and there are YT vids of how to do it- not terribly hard. But I'm so lazy, I just found a good deal on a used Oppo. Still will likely fix the 2930 at some point.

Just curious- what did you pay for the 2910?

PhilBiker likes this.
  3. DHamilton

Thank you for your reply ! I got my Denon player for around 60 bucks (which is supposedly in working condition). Had to get a remote separately but that wasn't too expensive. Fingers crossed the laser is still working and not on its way out.

PhilBiker likes this.
  4. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

I have one that I'm still using in my office setup. Sounds OK but my Cambridge 851 blows it away and the Cary 100TS DAC brings digital to a new galaxy.

I bought a 3910 for $40 at a garage sale.

FWIW swapping a laser ain't all that easy despite what you see on youtube as it needs to be re-calibrated and just trying to get at it wasn't all that easy either - I know because I tried but didn't have the calibration tools to finish the job and the electronics repair wanted too much $$$$$$$ to make it worthwhile.

5. I have the DVD2910, sitting in a closet, maybe for 8 years or so now. Funny but I can't remember much about it other than I connected HDMI for video and analog 5.1 for audio, it must not have passed SACD and DVD-A over HDMI since it was connected to an AVR that processed both. Here is an old review but I didn't read it before providing the link.

DVD-2910 Overview and Setup

6. DHamilton

I was thinking of doing my set up similar to yours...However, I do not believe my AVR has enough analog inputs to do the 5.1 for audio. I was hoping the hdmi connection would be sufficient.

7. Apparently I can't access your equipment profile but if you recall the model number, it will be easy to see if your AVR has multichannel analog input. I believe most do.

8. JimW

The 2910 will decode dvd-a and sacd and send them over HDMI as PCM. I wanted to use both HDMI and 5.1 analog outputs, but the Denon makes that impossible to do. It's even incredibly hard to switch from one to the other. IIRC, every time I used HDMI, the next time I wanted to use the analog 5.1's I had to re-do the setup. I was perfectly happy with HDMI only.

9. JimW

Best wishes for good luck w/ that laser; from what I've read, it was a VERY common problem. And from what is quoted below, it seems it may be a lot more difficult to replace than I'd thought.

I never watched the full YT vid; does that talk about calibration? Forgive my ignorance, but what is the laser calibrated to and how? What tools are needed?

Sounds like my 2930 might not ever get fixed... Anybody need one for parts?

10. JimW

Actually, most AVR's these days don't. It has become a legacy connection and is mostly found on upper-end models. He listed his AVR in initial post and a quick check reveals it DOESN't have 5.1 analog inputs.

So, @DHamilton your question is moot. HDMI is your only option for multi-channel.

DHamilton likes this.
  11. DHamilton

thank you !! oh well...I am more excited about using the HDCD decoder as I apparently have a ton of those that I didn't even know about. Please tell me that function works at least :mad:

12. caupina

caupina Forum Resident

IIRC the 2910 is HDMI 1.1 which won't transmit native DSD (you need 1.2 if I'm not mistaken or may be it's 1.3) so 6 RCA would be your only option for full 5.1 but as Jim mentioned no MCH inputs in your

Rolltide likes this.
  13. caupina

caupina Forum Resident

I had the 2930 which was replaced by the 3930...when I had the laser issue on the 2930 tracking the down the replacement part and the Denon authorized shop wasn't hard or even costly so got it fixed...it's an excellent player both sonically and build quality.

JimW and DHamilton like this.
  14. DHamilton

good finally someone has something positive to say about this player.

caupina likes this.
  15. caupina

caupina Forum Resident

Those Denon players 2910/2930/3910/3930/5910 were (are) really good, got great reviews and I'm very happy with my 3930 paired with a Denon 4310...they make a great combo

16. Reid Smith

Reid Smith Forum Resident

There must be a lot of these out there.I picked one up at Goodwill back in the summer.It was like new but no remote and only $10.00.I got an original remote for on Ebay and it cost more than the player did.
    SACD's and DVD's play just fine,but CD's won't,i know that's the laser problem,but for the price i got it for,still a great deal.

17. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul

I need to fix my laser. I'll let you know how it goes.

JimW likes this.
  18. JimW

Never had an issue decoding hdcd on my 2930, nor have I heard of others w/ the 29xx having any problems w/ that. That being said, I personally didn't notice much difference between CD and HDCD- but I never claimed to have audiophile ears and my system pales in comparison to many (most??) here.

Personally, I'd be much more excited about hearing surround sound- but then I'm a surround-fanatic. Do you have any multi-channel discs? Put a reference surround mix in that Denon and be prepared to be immersed into the music.

If you don't have any or much in the way of surround discs (or even if you do), I highly recommend checking out QQ; here's a link to their poll for best surround releases:

QuadraphonicQuad - Surround Polls

There's plenty of good info in the forums too and folks will happily answer any questions you have. There are also many posts about good deals on surround discs.

QQ is much smaller than SHF and we surround-heads realize how much of a niche within a niche we are, so we're always happy to help others enjoy surround sound. There is probably as much, likely more knowledge on here about surround, given the vast numbers in this place, but since SHF's focus is more on stereo, it's harder to find info specific to multi-channel. It's on here, but you have to read through many pages of threads where often the posts relevant to surround are the exception rather than the rule.

Multi-channel is not for everyone, but if it hits you, you will find another dimension in your enjoyment of music. Just be warned- it can be an expensive proposition: many of the best discs are OOP and command high prices. And it's easy to become addicted to MCH and start buying like crazy. That being said, there are some great bargains available as well.

Hope all goes well w/ your system and you enjoy music in 3-D!

DHamilton, SirMarc, caupina and 2 others like this.
  19. JimW

I got my info about the laser assembly repair from AVS. The part was readily available and I thought the labor wouldn't be too hard, from what I read on there. But this thread informed me of the need to re-calibrate. I thought it wouldn't be worth it to pay someone, as most repair shops I've used charge an arm and a leg.

Do you remember what the repair cost you?

I did feel it was an excellent player as well, though once I had the laser problem and read how common they were, I wondered why such a well-built machine would use such a shoddy laser assy.

Did you replace the 2930 b/c of the laser problem? Do the 39xx's have the same issue or do they use a better laser?

20. JimW

It's a great player, just has a sub-standard laser assy. I did get 8 solid years out of it w/ fairly heavy use. I used it for movies and most of my music listening; I prefer MCH, so I listen to those discs much more often on my home system. But for what it cost, I was expecting more longevity.

Believe me, as long as your laser is still working, you will be very happy w/ this player.

21. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

I'm joining this thread, as my Denon 3910 hasn't played DVD-Audio discs for a few years (but so far still plays CDs and SACDs just fine). So perhaps I have joined the club of failing Denon lasers?

My contribution to the thread's original topic is:

Your receiver doesn't appear to decode HDCD from CDs. Onkyo USA Corporation Is that correct?

If so, you will have to rely on your Denon 2910 for decoding HDCD. What I'm wondering is -- will the Denon 2910 pass decoded HDCD signals via HDMI? Or will you have to decode HDCD within the Denon 2910, then connect the Denon 2910 to your receiver via RCA analog to hear the decoded HDCD? I suspect analog connection is how you'll have to go for decoding HDCD, but it's worth further research/investigation on your part.

Why not connect with both HDMI and analog outs? I have my Denon 3910 connected with both analog and optical, to my Denon AVR-3801, and I can easily switch between analog and digital signals via either remote control or front-panel buttons. Does your Onkyo receiver have similar capabilities? If so, you can switch between them and decide which you prefer. It's possible you may prefer analog for some types of discs, and digital for others.

Craig.

quicksrt, Kristofa and JimW like this.
  22. caupina

caupina Forum Resident

Sure do Jim, it was 60 dollars total plus 14 dollars for the laser replacement. This 4 or 5 years ago.

I replaced the 2930 because I found a good deal on the 3930 (in hindsight I should have kept it as as a backup).
    The 3930 showed the same laser issues so I had to replace it too, it has been trouble free since then...I love this player.

JimW and Bill Mac like this.
  23. caupina

caupina Forum Resident

HDMI only passes digital info so that in that case the receiver would have to do the HDCD decoding. Analog in his way would be the way go...or get a new receiver.

24. DHamilton

So I connected my 2910 to my AVR via HDMI, are you saying that I am not getting the full decoded content of the HDCD and will need to connect via the RCA (analog) cables instead? I thought the sound was very pleasant while listening last night but would love to experience the full decoded content if possible.

25. JimW

Thanks for the info. $74 isn't too bad to repair (ironically, I paid $75 for the Oppo I got to replace it). I may do some research on getting it repaired. If it's beyond my ability, I don't want my 2930 to just die. It deserves better than that. It is a great player.

What have you found to be better on the 39?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.