Odd McCartney sleeves on Discogs - fake? real? or just rare?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mrjinks, Jan 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged Thread Starter

I decided to try and add to "my collection" on Discogs over the last couple weeks and, in the process, came upon some very unusual 45 picture sleeves. I couldn't think of a logical existing thread to ask the question, so ... yup, it's a new McCartney thread.

First up, the one that puzzled me the most. Was there really a UK picture sleeve for Silly Love Songs? I'd certainly never heard of one (and couldn't find an active/completed auction on ebay), but here's what they list:
    Note the R6014 catalog number under the MPL logo, and the catalog numbers on the back of the sleeve for other albums. Most are definitely the UK catalog numbers, but V&M and SoS don't appear to be. So is this thing real or fake or just uber-rare? I see French/Japanese sleeves that were similar, but not with the UK catalog numbers...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I'll post a couple others that I came across in other posts...

tug_of_war likes this.
  2. mrjinks

How about this thing, which is listed as a Columbia US sleeve?
    [​IMG]

3. mrjinks

This really looks like a joke to me, but some people claim to have it, and it's mentioned it was a "special export edition" by Columbia US:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    willy and Yorick like this.
  4. mrjinks

Another US "export edition" from Columbia for Belgium.
    [​IMG]

5. mrjinks

Last one. Thought I'd read somewhere this was a fake, but ...?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Yorick likes this.
  6. mrjinks

I'm a pretty hardcore collector (just got my Mo's Songs promo pack today :goodie:) although I typically stick to US/UK releases only. But I had never seen any of the above (aside from "Tug of War") before this weekend. Curious what some of the rest of you say. Calling @daveidmarx, for example...

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  7. lennonology

lennonology Formerly pas10003

The orange 'Getting Closer' and the 'Tug Of War'/'Get It' are fakes. 'Silly Love Songs' is real. Not sure about 'Goodnight Tonight' or 'Coming Up'. The 'Goodnight Tonight' is definitely not a U.S. sleeve, but it does look familiar.

Chip Madinger
    www.lennonology.com

somnar and mrjinks like this.
  8. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

While I'd never make a definitive statement on these, because hey - ya never know... I'd bet money that Getting Closer and Tug Of War are fakes. I remember reading about phony US sleeves for Tug which replicated the UK sleeve, but never saw the one above, which used the same cover from the advance promo 12" of the Tug LP. As for Goodnight Tonight & Coming Up, both have wear on them to make it look authentic, but I'd never heard of either sleeve, and I've looked at puh-lenty of sleeves through the decades. Still, they could have had minuscule promo runs (say 25 or 50 of each), and could have remained unknown to most collectors for all this time.
    That leaves us with Silly Love Songs. A quick search on 45cat shows this to be a sleeve from Denmark. Apparently, they retained the British catalog numbering system. So there's one down!

EDIT - I see Chip was answering the same time I was! :)

EDIT (2) - Another search shows the Belgium export sleeve for Coming Up, but no trace of the Goodnight Tonight sleeve.

EDIT (3) - Looks like Coming Up is definitely legit, and based on that I might assume that Goodnight Tonight is as well. Tug Of War and Getting Closer remain total fakes though. There WAS a title sleeve released of Getting Closer, however:

[​IMG]

ernie11 and mrjinks like this.
  9. mrjinks

Thanks guys! I didn't think to check 45cat. :hide:

Some odd things to be found on discogs, for sure. Another thing that puzzles me about that site ... so when people are adding things to the "my collection", do they typically add all the "sub-parts" along with a main release???

Example: McCartney's "World Tour Pack" for Flower in the Dirt contained various posters, bumper stickers, etc. along with either a vinyl/cd copy of the album and a corresponding vinyl/cd "single" of "Party Party". So, if you mark that you have the "Tour Pack" in your collection, do you then ALSO mark that you have the single? Isn't that kind of redundant?

Similarly, that RSD release of four Beatles singles in the Red box - why should there be individual releases of those singles (e.g. Ticket To Ride), when it ONLY came in a package of four? Do you mark having the box, and then ALSO mark having each single? Just curious how others handle such things, if they happen to see this thread...

10. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

Good lord! When was Quasimodo the lead singer in Wings?

geo50000, Zeki, MPLRecords and 5 others like this.
  11. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

More fake than a $4 bill.

MPLRecords likes this.
  12. servi

servi Forum Resident

That Goodnight Tonight is a genuine Belgium picture sleeve. The coming up picture sleeve also is an official Belgian release.
    Variants exist, see here for example: Singles | The Beatles

Yorick and mrjinks like this.
  13. servi

servi Forum Resident

Yes, Silly love songs is genuine (I have an exact copy like that), but not from the UK. It has non-UK release numbers for Venus and Mars and Speed of sound. It’s European, possibly Belgian as well, and printed to be sold with imported UK copies.

EDIT: as explained above, it’s Danish and sold with UK-pressed singles....

Man at C&A and mrjinks like this.
  14. KayNicole

KayNicole Well-Known Member

I have some odd Beatles covers, some of which I believe to be bootlegged. This could maybe be the case on some of these? Though the bootlegged covers are kind of cool in their own way, just not true to the artist.

15. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

Looks like a very old Fred Savage/Kevin Arnold, doesn't it? :laugh:

mrjinks likes this.
  16. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

That Getting Closer sleeve is atrocious. If someone doesn't come edit these as unofficial releases on discogs, I might have to step up and edit them (especially that Getting Closer listing).

mrjinks likes this.
  17. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

I was thinking of getting a fantasy sleeve for the Twist & Shout / There's A Place single on Tollie matching the Love Me Do slightly matching the Love Me Do sleeve. This was a few years ago when I started collecting and I didn't even have a Twist and Shout record at that time. Well, I got one a few days ago, and I have no desire to get a fantasy sleeve. Same goes for the other releases that were released without picture sleeves. Luckily, we have plenty of genuine picture sleeve releases from Capitol and Vee-Jay.

mrjinks likes this.
  18. vinylbeat

vinylbeat Forum Resident

I own the US "Getting Closer" title sleeve. I would think that it has to be the rarest US McCartney sleeve released. It was kind of difficult to find even back in 79'.

I always thought it was rather odd that so few McCartney/Wings picture sleeves were released in the US during the 70's, compared to the other 3 solo Beatles. Starting in the 80's, almost every US McCartney single had a picture sleeve.

SixOClockBoos likes this.
  19. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

Good god! :yikes:

Zeki, agundy, somnar and 1 other person like this.
  20. Jack

Jack Senior Member

I was recently gifted this. Trying to determine if the sleeve is original.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Reader, vinylbeat and daveidmarx like this.
  21. tim_neely

I've since learned more about these odd picture sleeves during my research into Bee Gees 45s on the single-by-single thread.

During the days when record labels overpressed 45s in order to get a coveted Gold Record from the RIAA, before the qualifications were tightened in September 1979, U.S. pressing plants, usually the CBS plant in Pitman but sometimes other plants, sent their excess production overseas, where they were paired with truly ugly, bare-bones picture sleeves and sold in Belgium. The records were made in the States, but the sleeves were not.

McLover, mrjinks and leeroy jenkins like this.
  22. n.phelge

n.phelge Forum Resident

I've seen quite a few ebay auctions offering 'reproductions' of this sleeve, and this person claims "High-quality reproductions of the American London picture sleeve were manufactured in the ‘80s and usually sell as collectables. Alas, neither I nor the Avid Record Collector knows how to differentiate the better reproductions from the authentic sleeve." : https://www.ratherrarerecords.com/street-fighting-man-the-most-valuable-picture-sleeve-in-world/

23. Jack

Jack Senior Member

I have one of the reproductions. It’s on a duller, matt paper, without a hyphen between the numbers at the bottom corner of the sleeve. This sleeve is brighter and the paper is a gloss type.

McLover likes this.
  24. tim_neely

The record is probably legitimate. The sleeve is not. It is missing one thing that legit SFM sleeves have -- the words "PRINTED IN U.S.A." in black on the lower left of the "No Expectations" side.

25. Jack

Jack Senior Member

Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.