Paul McCartney Archive Collection - 'Forthcoming Releases' [TBC]

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Thrillington, Mar 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Didn't Too Many People precede the first live Ram Ons?

Edit: looks like @Fasterforthetime beat me on this. ;)

2. Thrillington

Thrillington McCartney Scholar Thread Starter

I consider myself very fortunate to have witnessed what I believe to be the live debut of ‘Ram On’ (soundchecks excluded) at my first Paul (indeed first ever) concert in Cardiff 2010. There’d been a lot of signs in the crowd requesting the song over the years leading up to it.

Think I also saw the live debut of ‘Temporary Secretary’ at the 02 in London in 2015.

Hopefully I can get to see him a third time in the future, and he’ll debut another back catalogue gem to mark the occasion.

Mr. Explorer, Zeki, OobuJoobu and 3 others like this.
  3. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Eat At Home / Smile Away 1972

Mr. Explorer, hazard, slane and 10 others like this.
  4. Thrillington

Thrillington McCartney Scholar Thread Starter

Hope we get a full '72 concert to accompany Wild Life, instead of just the live versions of album songs.

5. MsMaclen

MsMaclen Forum Resident

I think it was 2005. <digression> The '05 tour had an impressive setlist in hindsight with some stuff like TMP, Please Please Me, and For No One not really played by him solo before or since. I feel like I took it for granted! </digression>

PhoffiFozz, jlf, Mr. Explorer and 4 others like this.
  6. Wiserforthetime

Wiserforthetime Forum Resident

I didn't see him in 2005. I saw him on 9, October 2002 in St. Louis and he did too many people and dedicated it to the "Wings fans"

Lewisboogie likes this.
  7. MsMaclen

MsMaclen Forum Resident

Hmm interesting. I don't doubt your memory, though setlist.fm doesn't have it for that show. The first appearances of it on there are all listed as 2005, and I remember it being considered an exciting new addition during that tour. Do you recall him doing the full song, or perhaps an improptu snippet?

vitorbastos123 and Mr. Explorer like this.
  8. mrjinks

Paul McCartney Setlist at Savvis Center, St. Louis
    I think you're mistaken, my friend. Too Many People was first performed on the 2005 tour.

9. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I saw him in 2005, and it was awesome. My first Paul concert. I, too, didn't appreciate the awesomeness of the setlist, but I was so new to the Beatles that I couldn't know how much of a treat it was to see him perform "Fixing A Hole" or "For No One."

How I wish we could get a straight concert of that on blu-ray instead of The Space Within US. Yechhh.

10. mrjinks

Even the "Best Buy Bonus" audio disc for that (a cd of some radio program) had the songs all hacked up. Grr.

11. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

Do'h, yes of course, I should have known that, after all that money I spent on the big Ram cloth box to get this download!

12. kevintee

kevintee I’d rather be listening to McCartney

MsMaclen and Jinks are correct. I saw him in St. Louis that 2002 October show and in Chicago during the 2005 tour and TMP was only done in 2005. However, that October 9 show in St. Louis he about brought me to tears when he talked about John before doing Here Today and he led the audience in Happy Birthday to John. I get goose pimples when I think of the impact those two men had on the world and one was in the room singing Happy Birthday to the other.

13. Wiserforthetime

Sorry but I am not mistaken I was there. I did not see Paul on the US tour and that Wong was very much played that night

14. Wiserforthetime

His setlist also used to list (maybe it still does) an error for St. Louis 1993 Busch stadium. It listed him as playing I believe live and let die twice which I can assure he did not

Lewisboogie likes this.
  15. Wiserforthetime

I'm a huge fan of Wings tracks and too many people is my favorite off ram. I would not make up the story and convince myself if it.

16. kevintee

Not saying you would make it up, but you know how Paul is slow to switch up setlist. He never played Too Many People until the 2005 tour.

17. mrjinks

I know from past experience that you're a knowledgeable Beatle guy. So analyze this from an objective point of view...

You know how relatively predictable Paul's setlists are, right? So you're saying that - for one night, and one night only, in 2002 in St. Louis - Paul decided to pull out Too Many People and play it with an intro that it was for "the Wings fans" (when it's actually from a "Paul & Linda McCartney" disc)? And then, in 2005 he did that again - with the exact same intro - for every show on the 2005 US tour? Note: I believe this was done as a medley with She Came In Through The Bathroom Window. Was that also done at this one show in 2002 and then ONLY done again on the US tour in 2005?

Does that sound reasonable to someone as familiar with Paul's material as you are? When other knowledgeable fans are all insisting that couldn't have happened?

18. kevintee

Besides, Back In The U.S. cd is based on the spring leg of the 2002 tour and Back In The World is based on the fall leg of the tour. Too Many People doesn't appear on either.

Mr. Explorer, Lewisboogie and mrjinks like this.
  19. Wiserforthetime

Did he play it after '05 then because I know I remember it and I did not see him on the US tour.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  20. Wiserforthetime

I know I have this memory of hearing it once but I couldn't attend any '05 shows so I am lost if it was not the 2002 show. Unless he played it later

21. kevintee

I'm not sure if he played it after 2005. I don't mean to sound silly, but could you be remembering it from The Space Within Us DVD?

mrjinks likes this.
  22. mrjinks

Check out Marinucci's site with reviews from the 2002 show - no mention of it (back then, this was THE Beatle source on the 'net):
    http://web.archive.org/web/20030208073402/http://abbeyrd.best.vwh.net:80/news/paulstlouis.html

23. Wiserforthetime

I don't need to check, I believe you. I return the compliment that you are also a knowledgeable Beatle guy and since no one else remembers it I will stand corrected. But I am going to dig them my concert stubs to see if I caught an '05 show that I don't remember.

Mr. Explorer, kevintee and mrjinks like this.
  24. mrjinks

It is odd, because he really didn't keep that song/medley in his set. I know he did it at LEAST once more (the Quebec concert for their 400th anniversary in 2008), but it doesn't appear to have been at other shows from that period (2007-2009).

I distinctly remember all the "chatter" about that tune with the 2005 tour, because most everyone commented it was an odd song to introduce as "for the Wings fans".

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    Lewisboogie and forthlin like this.
  25. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

Too Many People was played on the 2005 tour

He did also do it at the Quebec 400th Anniversary show in 2008

revolution_vanderbilt and FKA002 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.