Weird noise on my vinyl records - don't know what else to do.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by mnb1979, Jan 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

The 1st question that should have been asked is if his other records display the same problems before telling the OP to get a new TT, a new cart or anything else.

Having experienced the same problems of noisy pressings with almost brand new 'vintage' pressings and hearing the same thing with my setup and far better equipment on several records, it's evident that the records were poorly pressed.

With used records it could be the previous owner played them with a bad stylus or a TT incorrectly setup.

I've bought unopened/sealed records from the 1950s that also were noisy because they weren't stored correctly or the plastic inner sleeves used back then had a chemical reaction with the long stored vinyl.

WELCOME TO THE WORLD OF RECORDS and hear why CDs were widely praised when they first arrived after having to tolerate for years the indifferent quality control record labels and pressing plants had for us music buyers/lovers in years gone by.

2. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

We didn't ask because that info is in the original post.
    -Dave

3. mnb1979

mnb1979 New Member Thread Starter

Hello again,

Once again, thank you so much for your precious time and help. I am speechless.

I have made a few minutes to go to my local record shop, with my TT and the vinyl album that has been giving me headaches. Spoiler: problem has not been completely solved.

We have tried some different cartridges / styluses that the guy at the shop had with him: Ortofon 2M Red, Shure M44-7-H, etc. We have even switched from "Line" output to "Phono", with him of course switching the right settings with each. Overall there has been an improvement but the noise never got to vanish completely. His conclusions, even if admitting that the vinyl sounded pretty noisy, is that the particular song was very quiet (therefore rising the volume raises the noise) and not a properly mastered, because it was originally a demo from 1971 remixed for a bonus album and not a properly recorded song at the time (I agree with his first statement but not quite with the second). He said that vinyls *had* noise by their nature and that I am very used to CD's.

In conclusion, the problem isn't neither in the cartridge / wires / shell / stylus / needle. With Line or Phono the level of noise decreases but won't go away completely.

*My* conclusion, is that I will stick to CD's and I will play my vinyls from time to time. Vinyl world is a wonderful one and I would have loved to be part of it, but things just didn't work *for me* and after spending thousands of dollars and hours of my time that I will never get back, I should probably move on and give up on this.

THANKS A LOT AGAIN TO EVERYONE! ;-)

patient_ot likes this.
  4. mnb1979

By the way, the guy said that I have killed my record by cleaning it with isopropyl alcohol and that I should use demineralized water instead. Could this be the reason for the records to sound like this? If so, you could call me stupid and I won't feel offended, don't worry. :) Anyway I haven't used that much but I definietely did on this particular record.

5. I've been cleaning records with isopropyl alcohol for 40+ years with no problems.

mnb1979 likes this.
  6. WestGrooving

WestGrooving Forum Resident

See if there's a way to play a few of your LPs on a different stereo system (relatives, friends, audio dealer shop, etc).
    If they sound fine, then it's not your LPs.

anorak2 likes this.
  7. mnb1979

I agree and will do the test that you kindly suggest once I have had access to a relative's TT.

I admit becoming obsessed with that particular album, so here are a few rips from a different brand new release. LP had been played twice before these samples were captured.

Could some expert please confirm if it sounds good considering that it's a brand new sealed vinyl record? Thanks! :)

Sample01
    Sample02
    Sample03
    Sample04
    Sample05

The first sample is the worst sounding one, but it's also the last song on one side, considering that the grooves are thinner, it's a quiet song and the level has been raised to its top in purpose. Third sample is the last song on the other side.

Can't wait for your comments.

Thanks AGAIN! ;-)

8. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

The Alcohol should not be that big of a problem.

Im fairly certain that this is a pressing issue, scanning through I didnt see anyone mention this possibility which surprises me. What exact record is this?

9. mnb1979

It's RAM by Paul & Linda McCartney (1971). This is the bonus vinyl LP from the 2012 deluxe edition. It was purchased in november 2017, factory sealed. Haven't seen any reports on the net about a bad batch. Perhaps I am the lucky winner, which would actually make me feel great because I still have the CD box edition and that would mean that my TT is fine (see "new" samples in post #31). I got the LP for my birthday because I simply love that album and the vinyl release was simply beautiful.

10. Leonthepro

Yupp, that would seem to me like a pressing issue. Most people on this forum are, not to be rude but, quite old. As such I dont think many purchase these off hand new pressings. I deal with this a lot as I buy very recent music just being introduced to the new crazed vinyl market and as such have to deal with a lot of these issues.
    A quick look on Discogs for what I think is your release reveals this comment from one guy,

"Decent sounding remaster. Pressing could be better. Doesn't beat the DCC still." and this from another,

"Nice package(); a "decent" sounding remaster, while certainly comprehensive (it is convenient to have "Another Day" and it's flip-side both included together with the main album). However, this new remastering is claustrophobic and compressed sounding when compared to the very open and colorful original 71' U.K. -1 release. The depth and clarity that can be heard on the 71' pressing absolutely shows off this little epic that Paul and Linda created."

Looking through the matrix it looks like an Optimal Media press, which in my experience tend to be a good plant, but they have their one off releases that turn out bad, especially for the US buyers for some reason.

That should clear up the mystery.

11. Leonthepro

Wait, do you hear that ringing sound when playing the records yourself or is that just a cause from the recording?
    Also what Queen record is this exactly if I may ask.

12. mnb1979

So sorry for the ignorance but what does “ringing sound” mean?

Recording reproduces the sound exactly as when listening with speakers / headphones.

It’s “News Of The World” (40th anniversary edition).

Thanks!

13. Leonthepro

Well, when listening to the clips I hear a very loud high pitched sound in the background, is that part of the music or am I hearing things?
    Its most noticable on sample 1.

14. mnb1979

Priceless info. It looks like it's a (very) bad pressing issue after all!

15. mnb1979

I am listening to the samples using headphones and at top volume and can't notice anything like that. :)

Regardless, do you think that the samples sound good?

16. Leonthepro

The RAM record I would say so yes. But I dont know whats going on with the queen sample you made. Im pretty sure pressing issues cant create such sounds. I would assume its just an electrical interference thats caused when you capture vinyl music. Otherwise its probably pretty good. I hear the queen remasters by Gateway are good. I only have one "A kind of Magic" and it sounds fine to me. Im no queen expert though.

17. Leonthepro

My ears just might be too sensitive. I can hear it on other headphones too so its not on my end. You need to crank it loud to hear it well and like I said its probably only on the sound clips, not something you hear through your speakers.

Sanples sound good otherwise yeah.

18. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

@Leonthepro-
    Read the original post- op states that this happens on new and vintage records. That's the reason no one has asked about the pressing on the sample file.

Dave

19. Severin22

Severin22 Well-Known Member

Maybe I'm not as OCD as I thought. That sounds like fairly common surface noise/IGD found on many, many, many records.

Also, if you think that's bad, do not, I repeat DO NOT get in to collecting vintage records. Especially blues or jazz, unless you're willing to pay a small fortune for mint condition.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    arisinwind likes this.
  20. Leonthepro

Pressing/worn or dirty vinyl issues. I did read and I cant tell how clean or not his old vinyl is. Simply looking isnt enough. But Im only going by the the first sample on the new vinyl and what he said. The most reasonable conclusion to me is "bad pressing". Especially since people have complaints on its discogs page.

21. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

This

22. Higlander

Higlander Well-Known Member

It kinda sounds like normal noise, but a noisy pressing on the 5 samples.
    But the level is quite low also.
    Have you tried these same records on a known good (other)table and setup?

23. Leonthepro

Wait, @Higlander I trust you somewhat ok. Do you hear that high pitched ringing on the 1-5 queen samples, most noticeable on 1?

24. Higlander

Let me listen again

25. Higlander

No ringing, just slightly high surface noise, and some of the vocals appear to distort or break up a bit.

Sample one the surface noise increases dramatically at about 8.5 seconds when the vocals kick in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.