Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. caupina

caupina Forum Resident

Q
    That's the spirit!!!!....I always keep this thought in my mind "Every day the I wake up to is a blessing so now it's up to me to make the best of it"

Lonson likes this.
  2. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Nice, welcome! Something went wrong with your image so we can’t tell to what you were listening. (This is why I personally always write the name of what I’m listening to above the image).

3. Joe F

Joe F Senior Member

Had host problems. This is what was posted. [​IMG]

4. markp

markp I am always thinking about Jazz.

I am so lucky, my wife lives jazz..all kinds.

Lonson likes this.
  5. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

It definitely does require constant reinforcement. Right around the time I resolved to be as positive as I can my wife came down with cancer and we battled that for two years. . . unsuccessfully. My work life became very difficult and I managed to hang on and retire with great resolve and a forced calmness. And later I spent more than two years caring for my parents and in my mother's final years and getting my father set up in his new life in assisted living. It was indeed a challenge . . . .

I found one key for me is gratitude. I do my best to recognize and be grateful for all the good in my life, from the love and bond that allowed me to help my late wife and my parents, for the love of music and the wonderful instruments and components and recordings I've been blessed with, to the love of my second life who arrived in my life right when I most needed someone, for the wonder of like minds on a board like this to share the bounty of great music with. . . .Identifying those persons and things to be grateful for and to express that gratitude (to others, and if I can stray just an inch into verboten territory, in prayer) -- this gratitude has been a vehicle for my hope and has been a tool to maintain the positive.

And I'm spinning an upbeat beautiful group of recordings to celebrate the positive aspects of life and love. . . .

[​IMG]

6. Lonson

Awesome!

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    caupina likes this.
  7. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

My wife likes jazz, but mostly hard bop and modal. She's into Bird, Oscar Peterson, and Miles and Coltrane, to a point. She'll hum along to The Blues and the Abstract Truth, but she won't ever want to hear anything by, say, Mingus while we're cooking or eating dinner. Too busy and frenetic. She played piano in her high school's jazz band, and Red Clay is one of her favorites. Pretty sweet.

But when she was pregnant and then immediately postpartum, all I wanted to hear was electric Miles, and that didn't go over so well. It really threw her head for a loop, though I'm convinced it's why our son is so cool.

8. Six String

Six String Senior Member

NP Miles Davis second great quintet - E.S.P. (MoFi) 45 RPM Pressing
    It's hard to pick a single favorite album by this band but E.S.P. would always be up there in the top two or three.

9. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Another MoFi Miles 45 RPM Pressing - Sorcerer. The other album gat would share the spotlight with E.S.P.

Starwanderer and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  10. Six String

Six String Senior Member

WP Johnny Smith (Verve) black MGM stereo label

NP Sonny Stitt - Blows The Blues (Verve) Classic Records stereo reissue
    W/Lou Levy (p), Leroy Vinnegar (b) and Mel Lewis (d)

Starwanderer and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  11. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Sonny Stitt - Stitt Plays Bird (Atlantic) green/blue stereo label
    With John Lewis, Jim Hall, Richard Davis and Conny Kay.
    Looking at the credits tonight and reflecting back when I bought this album, those artists didn't mean as much to me then as they do now. In other words, I hear this album differently tonight than I did twenty five years ago when I bought it. Neither Jim Hall or John Lewis really registered with me on any kind of significant level back then. Now I hold them up on a pedestal. Funny how things change.

12. Yesternow

Yesternow Forum pResident

To keep the pace with another Miles thread took this one to the car yesterday. As you know it's not an easy listen, but I find myself grabbing this one more often than other official live outputs. It has some great moments.

Miles Davis - Dark Magus, 1974 (2CD 97 Legacy)
    [​IMG]

And yes, my wife is not in the car when I play it. On the other hand my kids suffer a bit :).

13. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

I've already decided that should I ever feel compelled to turn our basement rec room into my mancave for an evening and chase the wife and kids out, Dark Magus will do the trick nicely! Unless I can get my four year old to do his freak out dance to "Moja" again:laugh:

Anyway, another of my library finds was my commuting music to work tonight:
    [​IMG]
    Have I mentioned how much I like this guy?:D

14. GeoffC

GeoffC Forum Resident

My son (now 27) and daughter (now 23) have 'eased' themselves into jazz over recent years, and after I took them to their first proper 'Live' performance at Smalls Jazz Club in NYC in 2015 they really for want of a better phrase 'got it'.

15. Lonson

John Coltrane "A Love Supreme" SHM-SACD

[​IMG]

16. ATR

ATR Senior Member

Studio versions of those compositions appear in the Complete On the Corner Sessions.

17. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Really? Cool- I need to track down the Complete On The Corner Sessions then at some point...

18. cacaaaaaaw

cacaaaaaaw Forum Resident

Lina May Han Oh - Walk Against Wind

[​IMG]

Catching up on some 2017 releases I missed and this one is standing out. Saw her about a year ago in Matheney's Quartet (great show) but don't think I've heard an official release from her before.

Starwanderer and Lonson like this.
  19. cacaaaaaaw

Rotem Sivan Trio - Antidote

[​IMG]

Great mood throughout this one. I don't remember 2015's A New Dance leaving much of an impression on me but this is hitting all the right spots.

20. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I did that finally last year, it came at a a price though, but worth it. I did lament a little that I didn’t pull the trigger 5 years ago when I had both the OtC and Jack Johnson Sessions in my amazon cart but decided not to get them at the time because it was a little expensive (both items were still available at regular retail price at the time).

ohnothimagen likes this.
  21. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

So true, for a long while ESP occupied this spot for me, but these days I tend to feel like whichever 2nd 5tet I’m listening to is my favorite. Having just recently listened to Miles in the Sky, it is currently occupying my top spot, I guess.

ohnothimagen and Six String like this.
  22. cacaaaaaaw

Moved on to Tomas Fujiwara - Triple Double

[​IMG]

Two drum, guitar, horn trios playing as one. Really like the Halvorson/Seabrook face off. I think she needs a good foil to bring out her fire. Kind of like how Ribot pushes her in the Young Philadelphian's outing. Also gave Seabrook's Die Trommel Fatale a listen this morning and though it was just ok but maybe it'd work better as a follow up to this.

23. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I've really been enjoying the MoFi vinyl reissues I have of Miles and, after picking up several of the SACDs after having found some factory sealed ones marked as 'used' and priced accordingly in Newbury Comics, I decided to pick up the rest of them on SACD as well for general listening, such as now when I'm working, and reserve the vinyl copies for dedicated listening sessions. These next two I'm glad to have because I had never picked up a digital copy (aside from what's in the Complete Silent Way box) until now:

NP: Miles Davis - Filles de Kilimanjaro (MoFi SACD)

[​IMG]

Up Next: Miles Davis - In a Silent Way (MoFi SACD)

[​IMG]

24. Lonson

Jackie McLean "Consequence" Blue Note Connoisseur CD

[​IMG]

Starwanderer, Soulpope, markp and 4 others like this.
  25. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Although we didn't get much snow out of the winter storm here, Filles is setting the perfect atmosphere for the weather. I'm thinking I need to invest some listening time in to this album because, out of all of the albums featuring the second quintet (ok, maybe it's not entirely a 2nd Quintet album since two tracks feature Chick and Dave Holland), Filles is now the one with which I'm least familiar (Miles Smiles used to hold this position for me, but, since I picked up the BSCD2, I've put in quite a bit of time with it).

Edit: It's nice that folks here have been talking about Miles quite a bit lately, it's inspiring me to put him on more for listening lately. Not that I have any problems being inspired listening to Miles, it's more that I, generally, find myself trying to enforce a "no Miles" or "Miles-light" listening policy so that I give other artists their due, and much deserved, share of listening time.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    Six String and bluemooze like this.