I'm in dire need of a new pair of headphones...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by youraveragevinylcollector, Jan 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. youraveragevinylcollector

youraveragevinylcollector Forum Resident Thread Starter

I posted many moons ago about trying to find a new pair of headphones, however, life being the way it is, prevented me from really buying anything for a long time (plus, it's been a while, time for a new thread). They certainly aren't audiophile quality, but my Skullcandy HESH 2s have been an absolute workhorse for nearly the past five years. However, hundreds of days of school, hundreds of hours of car trips, and just as much use at home have caused the earpads to have their vinyl material flake away and now, the headphones have now decided to make a loud creaking noise whenever you move them around, and have been slowly losing their tight bass over time, but a quick fix from an EQ fixes that. Any suggestions for headphones that are around $200? I need some headphones with overall great frequency response, with a tiny bit more emphasis on bass and midrange, and a large soundstage, but with noise isolation or cancellation (as I'm usually in a louder environment than what most people would listen to music in).

2. TimB

TimB Pop, Rock and Blues for me!

In that range, there are some decent ones to be had. Do you want over ear, on ear or in ear? Check over at www.head-fi.org , you find all kinds of suggestions. Monoprice has 2 nice over the ear planar headphones at $199 and a nice iem planar for $149. I have several of the Monoprice phones, 2 iems and 1 one over the ear from them.. For the wide sound stage, stay away from sealed headphones.

3. youraveragevinylcollector

I guess over ear would be best for noise isolation, but on ear is definitely what I’m used to, but it wouldn’t hurt to get used to over ear headphones.

4. Davey

Davey NP: CLARAGUILAR ~ Figura (2024)

You can still get in on the Massdrop Sennheiser HD 6XX (equivalent to HD 650) deal for $199. The only issue is that they probably won't ship until sometime late March for this drop... Massdrop: Community-Driven Commerce ... and you may want something a little easier to drive, but there are other deals there too, and other big headphone threads active here with good ideas.

doak, AcidPunk15, rhubarb9999 and 3 others like this.
  5. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

Two pairs available in the Classified Hardware and Accesories section; Grado 225 and 325. Both well under $200. Great deals!

rodentdog likes this.
  6. DonnyMe

DonnyMe Forum Resident

Davey's recommendation is for probably one of the best deals in headphones for bang for the buck and sound quality, but are an open back design that won't work well in noise isolation or cancellation situations. I would recommend the NAD Viso HP-50's. They are closed back, sound very, very good, and there are deals on them currently that are near your cost range.
    NAD VISO HP50 Over Ear Headphones-Audio Advisor

GroovyGuy likes this.
  7. BMWCCA

BMWCCA Forum Resident

Sennheiser HD-598CS is the closed-back version of the best-value HD-598. They're easy to drive and will compare favorably with cans costing twice as much . . . even from the same manufacturer!

Erik Tracy likes this.
  8. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

GroovyGuy likes this.
  9. gryphongryph

gryphongryph Forum Resident

You could try to find a deal on AKG 712Pro, I got one for Christmas for half price new.
    Very nice soundstage, I have had the 701 for many years, are still as new, the 712Pro have the same quality, but have better bass and a more fruity midrange.

AcidPunk15 likes this.
  10. rxonmymind

rxonmymind Forum Resident

I just bought a pair of Sennheiser PXC 550 wireless headphones. I won't drill to far into the details but will say the convenience factor of having a "track pad" on the right ear to manually by touch forward/reverse a song or by touching it pausing a song has been wonderful. No hassling with a phone to change songs. Range is excellent as well as it's noise cancelling attributes.
    If you are diligent one can have these for around $200-$250 new. I bought mine for $180. A steal. Oh and they pair to two devices and have a 3.5 mm jack:)

As for in-earphones (great to have options) I'd highly recommend the 1more triple drivers.
    1MORE TRIPLE DRIVER IN-EAR HEADPHONES
    They sound as good as the Sennheisers. Great for those hotter months where your ears don't sweat and get hot like over the ears. While I purchased these for $100 I see you can buy them for $70 at Costco. That's a steal and I'm 99% there are no better sounding earphones at that price range. Period.
    Good luck.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  11. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

The Sony MDR CD900ST Studio headphones are good.

jusbe likes this.
  12. timind

timind phorum rezident

You say noise isolation and haven't specifically ruled out IEMs so I'm going to suggest these:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Y0F6IBG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Don't laugh at these because they're so cheap ($12.84). Unbelievable sound for the price. I use these when riding my stationary bike. You need to get a good fit, but once you do, the bass is phenomenal. The only caveat I'll make is I can't vouch for longevity as I don't use them constantly and have had them for only a year.

forthlin and Clonesteak like this.
  13. Clonesteak

Clonesteak Forum Resident

For $140 and free shipping from Amazon you cans get Audio-Technica ATH-M50x Professional Monitor Headphones, Black and have money left over from $200 spending allowance you posted. I have a pair of the ATH-M30x and looks be the sound minus the wire does not detach from the headphone itself. I should of bought the 40 or 50 but minus that issue I like the sound of the AT 30’s.
    Side note: The $10 Monoprice headphones are the best headphones for a 9 year old kid. If he loses them I am only out $10.

14. jeffmackwood

jeffmackwood Forum Resident

Right now, at this very instant, Amazon.com's Amazon Warehouse Deals has a used pair od Denon AH-D2000 for sale for $208.73. Free shipping.

That's a great price for an incredible set of headphones.

I'd take time to tell you more about them (I own the AH-D5000 and have also listened to the AH-D2000) but I'm posting this right away so that you can buy them now. We can talk later!

Jeff

Clonesteak likes this.
  15. Clonesteak

Clonesteak Forum Resident

That is a good deal. I wouldn't let the $8.73 over $200 budget stop you from this purchase. Good suggestion Jeff!

16. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

This....

I have the ATH-M50x and that's all I listen to these days, love them.

And yeah, I gave my daughter those Monoprice headphones when she needed headphones to take the parcc test. And yeah....they ultimately came home worse for wear! :)

Clonesteak likes this.
  17. Standingstones

Standingstones Forum Resident

My suggestion would be to go to the InnerFidelity website to get an unbiased view. Frankly, everyone will tell you how great their headphones are. Maybe they are but Tyll Hertsens tests and listens to the headphones he reviews.

18. youraveragevinylcollector

I do remember in the last thread I posted about needing headphones, I remember that the NAD HP-50s were highly recommended along with the Audio Techcnica ATH-M50Xs. I’ll narrow it down to these two for now, but there’s one thing I need to know, how good are they at noise isolation/reduction, and how good is the midrange for either one? (I’m finding myself turning up the mids on my EQ, more and more often these days).

19. Claude Benshaul

Claude Benshaul Forum Resident

Among my headphones the ATH-M50x is the least liked, actually I dislike them a lot and find it strange when reviewers claim they are neutral, which is like saying a crooked politician is straight and honest. I could live with the bloated bass and weird treble and even accept that this alternative version of neutrality is the way to go, but dear God, how uncomfortable and sweaty they are. I suggest you try them out before buying in order to save you from a potential disappointment. The ATH-M40x have a better sound IMHO and they are cheaper to boot, albeit they are uncomfortable too but here YMMV as they say.

beercanchicken likes this.
  20. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Another vote here for the ATH-M50X in this price range.

johnny q likes this.
  21. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

rockerreds likes this.
  22. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

The other issue is, no isolation; Sennheiser HD 6 series is open-back; my wife claims she can hear them 15 feet away when I'm listening at a modest volume.

. . . and I can hear her TV in the bedroom, also at modest volume.

23. marcb

marcb Senior Member

None of the Monoprice phones are noisecancelling, correct? The OP is looking for noisecancelling.

Note: I have and like the Monoprice 1060’s.

24. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

Try to stretch your budget a little bit and look at some Oppo PM3. You're going to sacrifice sound quality if you insist on noise cancelling headphones. Try the Oppo's before making a final decision.

LeeS likes this.
  25. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Not noise cancelling either.

Nevertheless I have these as well and use them on the plane all of the time. Nice phones (not superb soundstage, but still better than most) and they do a more than adequate job of isolating out plane noise and flight attendent announcements I’ve heard a thousand times. And they are closed so they are quiet for those around you.

But about twice the OP’s target price IIRC.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.