Are you on discogs? what's the collection worth?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by phish, Sep 28, 2011.

1. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

This all sounds great. Now, all you gotta do is sell them. All of them.
    Good Luck!

Raynie likes this.
  2. phish

phish Jack Your Body Thread Starter

I'd guess the same, although I think that will flip in time. Right now, some of the vinyl averages are being pulled down by old sales at lower prices than records are demanding now and CDs seem to be doing the opposite.

3. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I could have sworn I had posted in this thread already but I don't see it.

It's really of no value to me but curiosity and curiosity has gotten the better of me and I do keep an eye on it when I'm on Discogs. I'm about 30 albums off between what I show in my collection and what shows on Discogs but a lot of that can be accounted for by two album sets which count as two in my library and only one title in Discogs. However that still leaves almost a quarter of my collection not showing a value (I guess they never sold before on Discogs) with many of those being very collectible titles.

• Minimum - $22,544.54
    • Medium - $31,458.08
    • Maximum - $45,305.01
    This is based upon an overall collection of 2,291 titles of CD and SACD in Discogs but my library shows 2,321.

So I just exercised my obsessive compulsive rights and counted that there are 483 titles of the 2,291 that show in Discogs without prices (so 21%) and of those at least 73 are real collectibles (MFSL, DCC, JVC XRCD, Japan 1st issues). Now don't I feel better. On to third cup of coffee morning.

Last edited: May 6, 2017
    Dave S likes this.
  4. Jiri Smahel

Jiri Smahel Forum Resident

Collection Value:* Min €6,662.94 Med €9,052.61 Max €13,144.44

5. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Here’s a related question: when people are adding things to "my collection", do they typically add all the "sub-parts" along with a main release???

Example: McCartney's "World Tour Pack" for Flower in the Dirt contained various posters, bumper stickers, etc. along with either a vinyl/cd copy of the album and a corresponding vinyl/cd "single" of "Party Party". So, if you mark that you have the "Tour Pack" in your collection, do you then ALSO mark that you have the single? Isn't that kind of redundant? And yet lots of people mark one of these variations of the Party Party “singles” in their collections (?).

Similarly, that RSD release of four Beatles singles in the Red box - why should there be individual releases of those singles (e.g. Ticket To Ride), when it ONLY came in a package of four? Do you mark having the box, and then ALSO mark having each single? Just curious how others handle such things.

6. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

Hell NO, I would need to make updating my discogs my full time job...

sound chaser and mrjinks like this.
  7. Johnny Reb

Johnny Reb Résident du forum

I don't think such releases are supposed to be submitted individually; indeed, I've seen several such reported for merging with the "parent" release.

mrjinks likes this.
  8. are you on discogs?
    Yes.

what's the collection worth?
    Some money. About as much as some others on here (real close to one), more than some, surely far less than others.

Why does this thread feel like competition?
    Show your status symbol....
    like fansites where people brag about how many shows they've seen of someone...

9. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I started creating my collection(s) there few weeks ago.
    Still have to add lots of records there but the value is pretty high already.

10. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Collection Value:*
    Min SEK23,816.86 Med SEK35,971.50 Max SEK56,261.22

At around 170 items so far.

Divide by 10 for € and around 8 for $

11. DLD

DLD Senior Member

About 2,000 LPs, 1100 CDs, 300 SACDS&DVD-As, 50 Blu Ray Audio & Blu Ray concerts

Min $19,923.44
    Med $34,501.48
    Max $71,664.13

12. phish

Collection Value:

Min $41,989.05 Med $72,747.84 Max $128,331.86

The price of used records (and records in general) has gotten crazy.

pathosdrama likes this.
  13. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

I currently have about 580 CDs and 310 LPs in my discogs collection but I still have several hundred CDs to add (most of my rock collection) and at least a dozen CDs that aren't in their database at all yet. Total value is embarrassingly high (given what a cheapskate I am), and I keep thinking I should go through and sell some of the stuff I never listen to, but there's very little I'd be willing to let go at this point.

14. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Question for you; would you sell your entire collection if someone offered you either your min, med or max Discogs value?

My brother asked me the same question. I said yes if my med or max. Now I'm not so sure :)

15. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

I wonder, it might be a really good idea if you had the option, at least for MAX value. Then you could earn money and just buy a record you would want to hear when you want it and.

munjeet and eddiel like this.
  16. phish

At this point in my life, the answer would definitely be no. I'm currently 47 years old. If you ask me an twenty years, I'd probably be willing to cull, but there are probably a couple thousand titles that my wife or kids will have to figure out what to do with after I'm gone. Hopefully, one of the kids turns out to be as into music as I always have been. If I had to guess, it would be my seven year old, who is really into music and digs stuff kids his age don't usually dig.

eddiel and Leonthepro like this.
  17. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

My collection is worh less than 10% of the one you asked about (med is $6K and max is $10K). I would seriously consider it if it were actually possible that one person wanted the whole collection and would pay either. Probably not the min though. Of course that would never happen anyway.

eddiel likes this.
  18. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

Small collection: 494 lps or LP boxsets, 288 cds, 11 sacd, 1 BDAudio

Minimum: €8,796.70
    Med: €12,745.70
    Max: €19,357.64

Most expensive value: Beatles in Mono boxset (actually i got 2 of those): Min €295.53 / Med €352.45 / Max €542.82

Also have a lot of discs without value: 54 entries.

I am amazed at the value some have taken in a very short time:
    • Radiohead Best of 4lp set
    • My Bloody Valentine recent remaster on lp
    • The Who Live At Leeds 2016 Half Speed Remaster
    • Amy Winehouse Back to Black 2lp Half Speed Remaster
    • Harrison - All Things Must Past recent remaster
    • Cranberries - Something Else 2lp

19. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

Yes I use discogs all the time. I am concerned less with the “value” of my collection than with being able to pull up my list in a store on an iphone and being able to find out if I already own the CD/LP that I am looking at. I also use it as ballpark to see if something might be worthwhile purchasing from a rarity standpoint. Some limitations as already mentioned, but I find it to be very helpful. One hint - if you are starting from scratch, dont bother to categorize your stuff when you click the add to collection button and the tiny box pops up with notes and category field. Later after youve entered a bunch, go to my collection and in the category column you can pick genres there. This is relatively new and has made putting holdings into jazz, rock, classical, etc much easier.

20. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

From what I can tell, they’ve changed the format for the “my collection” page and no longer show the values like they used to do. But when they were showing the values, their criteria for basing the values of items was totally screwed up. For one thing, there was no way of evaluating the condition of an item. Also, they would have pirate copies of collectible items mixed in with the legitimate item and that would totally mess up the estimated value. Lastly, if you have a high value collectible item to add to your collection and that item has never been sold on Discogs, there was no value to be shown when you added that high value item to your collection. It was ridiculous, really, in many cases.

Last edited: May 22, 2018
  21. Arkay_East

Arkay_East Forum Resident

Well it’s open source (or whatever you call it) Like Wikipedia. So it’s only as good as it’s users.

Dave and WhoTapes1 like this.
  22. smartiepants

smartiepants Senior Member

around 1400 entries, about half a dozen really high priced items (that were bought at RRP or less)
    Collection Value:*

Min £10,401.58 Med £16,585.96 Max £27,295.77
    would I sell, not a chance

23. phish

I still see the values.

Vinyl Addict and DLD like this.
  24. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

That’s interesting because mine have quit appearing, unless it’s now hidden somewhere in a different place.

25. hominy

hominy Digital Drifter

Crowd sourcing? And I agree, and much like Wikipedia, you have idiots messaging you asking you to make corrections or delete information they think is wrong on entries when they can very well do it themselves.