Poll-- The Weakest Link: SILK DEGREES, Round 1

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Joey Self, Jan 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joey Self

Joey Self Red Forman's Sensitivity Guru Thread Starter

Boz Scaggs' 1976 album gets the WL treatment this week. Pick two of these as weak links.

JcS

2. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

One of my favorite albums. I remember picking up a used copy of this back in early 2016. I also remember trying to figure out what was the name of "Lowdown" and only had the riff stuck in my head, after six months I finally caught it on a radio station I was listening to.

I don't remember the album exactly, I quickly went through some of the songs I'm not that familiar with and settled on choosing "Jump Street" and "What Do You Want To Girl To Do" has my cuts for this round. I'll listen to the album later tonight so it'll be fresh in my head for the following rounds.

3. Jimbino

Jimbino Goad Kicker, Music Lover

"Jump Street" and "What Do You Want..." to go.
    The groove on "Love Me Tomorrow" is so solid, it's gonna be hard to vote that off when it comes time.

SixOClockBoos and egebamyasi like this.
  4. 131east23

131east23 Person of Interest

The night I was introduced to this album I was fifteen and my best friend was thirteen. We were helping his wild and reckless aunt who was in her twenties move from Fort Worth to Irving in her Jaguar. It took like six trips and all night to accomplish. All she played was Silk Degrees. It was one of the first nights I ever remember being with a reckless young adult (who needed adult supervision herself) who lacked the ability for any kind of introspection. It was kind of a graduation from kid to full fledged teenager, just watching how some crazy adult woman conducted herself, talked, and carelessly averted disaster all night long, using us as her minions.

5. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Relax, we’ll do the hard work for you...

“Jump Street” and “Love Me Tomorrow”

lightbulb likes this.
  6. Joey Self

I didn't do the "first time you heard this album" discussion question this time--but I doubt anyone will top it next time! :)

JcS

SixOClockBoos likes this.
  7. mrbobdobalina

mrbobdobalina Forum Resident

"Harbor Lights" and "We're All Alone", to me the two weakest tracks on the record. And I don't hate those, I just like the others better!

8. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

I voted What do you Want the Girl to Do. Filler.Voted Jump Street-sounds like a Van Morrison song.

9. mrbobdobalina

mrbobdobalina Forum Resident

Filler?!? That's an amazing Allen Toussaint song. I know that YMMV, but, man, give that one another chance...

jeffrey walsh and skiddlybop like this.
  10. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

I'm not gonna participate, 'cause I don't know the album all that well. I used to play "Lido Shuffle" with my college rock band back in the day, and it was fun and always got a good reaction. But I thought I'd relate this story...

A couple of years ago I was in Albany NY where I went to a used record shop. In the corner of the store I found an entire wall of "Silk Degrees" LP covers and a rack filled with scores of copies of the LP. The store guy told me that it's the #1 record that people try to sell, and the #1 record that nobody will buy!

11. Joey Self

Hmmm, I would have thought it was CRACKED REAR VIEW or MIDDLE OF NOWHERE.

Not good marketing on his part to have so many copies on display; better to make the buyer think he is getting the last one in the store.

JcS

12. daca

daca Currently on Double Secret Probation

Can we just go ahead and do a Lowdown vs Lido Shuffle final and move on?

I still have a lot of pent up Red Forman anger trying to figure out how How Deep Is Your Love was the second best song on a loaded Saturday Night Fever Sountrack.

Throw Lowdown on the SNF Soundtrack and at least it would have finished no higher than 3.

13. crustycurmudgeon

crustycurmudgeon We've all got our faults, mine's the Calaveras

Good timing, as I just listened to this album last night. Glad to see "Georgia" has no votes so far.

14. skiddlybop

skiddlybop Forum Resident

i think WDYWTGTD is a great Toussaint soul story, and i love the hook in the chorus where Boz shadows the organ with a vocalism. very emotional.

15. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Good song, but has been bettered by other artists' performances.

16. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Me too. And I can say with total certainty I won’t be voting against it at any point. Others will do that hard work for me...

17. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

Mmmmm...haven't played this album in ages. Will have to search thru the vinyl collection. Didn't Boz record at Muscle Shoals at some point (RIP Rick Hall, who sadly passed this week) ?

18. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

There's a cinema in Melbourne called Lido Cinemas, and they play a snipped of "Lido Shuffle" just before every movie starts. My wife heard the whole song on the radio somewhere recently and was very surprised to learn it's a real song.

19. Joey Self

No, we'd miss the fun of discussing the record.

And those two aren't MY final pairing, so maybe there will enough that think as I do on it.

Or maybe not.

JcS

20. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

Well, "Silk Degrees" was born well before the CD era, and it was a HUGE seller in vinyl LP and cassette formats. It was everywhere at that time, you could hardly escape it. I suppose it was one of those albums whose fans felt compelled to re-buy in that new-fangled digital format, too.

"Cracked Rear View" lived mostly as a CD, no? So it hasn't been around as long and maybe less total copies sold. I suppose I should be chagrined that I've never heard of "Middle of Nowhere".

I think the record store guy was just being sardonic in that snooty High Fidelity Record Store Guy way. Perhaps a bit of "NO STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN!" type humor. He had plenty of other nice things to sell, his "Silk Degrees" shrine wasn't going to make or break his business.

21. Joey Self

Poll-- The Weakest Link: SILK DEGREES, Round 2

SILK DEGREES was certified platinum five times, according to the Wikipedia entry, which is pretty good about such things. CRACKED REAR VIEW did three times that.

MIDDLE OF NOWHERE was the Hanson album--you couldn't swing a dead cat in used CD shops without hitting one of them about six months after it came out.

JcS

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.