Gentle Giant. . Whatever happened (merged several similar threads)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Francis A Carr, Jul 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

At least one of them doesn't need to worry about money problems anymore.

2. no.nine

no.nine (not his real name)

I was at that show. During GG's set, Derek thanked Feelgood for their opening set and the audience booed. He responded with something like, "Oh, come on. Back at home, WE open for THEM".

bhazen, Runicen and ParloFax like this.
  3. Bill Cormier

Bill Cormier Forum Resident

Fun stuff, I went to the one in (near) Toronto in 2001 !
    Was so much fun jamming with John Weathers and Gary Green !

Dok and ParloFax like this.
  4. Gary looks and sounds fantastic! Great to see he finally pulled through after his ticker problem. Thanks for posting these!

5. Bill Cormier

Bill Cormier Forum Resident

Did any of you buy the vinyl version of
    "Three Piece Suite" ? I can`t figure out if my copy is a bad pressing or if there is tape damage/noise from the tape sources. For those with the cd version, is there tape hiss on your copy ?

6. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

I guess they weren’t so gentle nor giant.

7. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

It's still my belief that GG were the best musicians ever to play in a rock band.

MoonPool likes this.
  8. cabalaska

cabalaska Well-Known Member

Bill Cormier...I also have an unlistenable pressing of this remix. The background noise is so loud that it's deafening!! I am sorely disappointed by the vinyl pressing of this. Why does crap like this happen and get through QC to the marketplace. UGH!

9. cabalaska

YES!! abysmally so. Why?? Anyone else experience this?

10. flaxton

flaxton Forum Resident

I saw gentle giant supporting the Hendrix film Jimi Plays Berkeley in Wales in 1971. The band played first then they showed the film.

11. He also does DVD/Blu-ray authoring for various bands as well.

12. Since when would tape hiss be considered tape damage?

Lownote30 likes this.
  13. Saw them at the Old Waldorf (RIP) in San Francisco--a club. They played their ass off. It was supposed to be their last show (and they announced it as such during the concert) but they did an additional show in L.A. because the L.A. show had sold out and there was an additional demand. Great show and seeing them up close was a blast. We were ten feet from Gary, Ray, Derek with Kerry and John a little further back and to the side as I recall.

ParloFax likes this.
  14. ...which Gary Green once said was the most humiliating gig they ever played! Opening for an inert object... Lol!

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    izgoblin and wayneklein like this.
  15. perhaps only beaten by opening for Black Sabbath (and the infamous cherry bomb incident.)

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    ParloFax likes this.
  16. That public or part thereof sure acted like idiots to do things like that.

However, Gentle Giant DID have a weird setlist to open for Black Sabbath with... "Funny Ways"... "Nothing At All"... Might as well throw in "Isn't It Quiet And Cold?"!

wayneklein likes this.
  17. Dok

Dok Senior Member

Some quotes from the article in Prog.

"I love 'Acquiring the Taste', I love the atmosphere of it. It feels so ethereal; it's a magic noise." Gary Green

"Ray was the peacemaker. Phil and I were at each other's throats all the damn time!" Derek Shulman

"There was a lot of sibling rivalry. Phil, the older brother, was our kind of gang master in a way. Derek was the singer and had a lot to say for himself. Ray was gentle: the youngest, nearest to my age. There was obviously a dynamic between the three of them that I just did not understand." Malcolm Mortimore

"We were plonked together with Sabbath a fair bit. It was an odd combination, but I think it did us more good then harm in the long run in terms of exposure." Kerry Minnear

"We were never being serious musos - 'Look at our virtuosity' - it was always a question of, 'We'll entertain you, so you'll enjoy it.'" Ray Shulman

"In the end, of all the albums we released, the cutest songs are on Octopus." Phil Shulman

'Cutest songs' indeed! :laugh:

18. cabalaska

this is not tape hiss

19. Ah, it's on the vinyl pressing then?

20. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

Playing the Game is my favorite Gentle Giant song. Very Whimsical tune.

21. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

It's the one that first got my attention fully. Such an odd opening that only gradually unfolds and begins to make sense... And then you get a beat you can tap your foot to. Lovely.

ParloFax likes this.
  22. drum_cas

drum_cas Forum Resident

Man......my musical buddy warned me:"I will let you hear Steven Wilson, he is great but he'll cost you a lot!"
    And yes I listened.......

So now: here I read in my Progmag about this band, I read in the book Delirium Years 1991-1993 (yes.....it is costing!) that mr. Wilson sampled the drumsolo, i check spotify and see he remixed the band, I had to listen.

Man.........I love it! For now it's Spotify but i think it won't be long till those 5.1 mixes will be delivered.

Just had to get it out of my system.

Regards, Cas

izgoblin, JakeM, Deek57 and 1 other person like this.
  23. rikki nadir

rikki nadir Gentleman Thug

I got a digital version of the Gentle Giant article in the magazine Prog issue 83 January 2018.

It is very enlightening - I have been a fan for forty years and did not know one quarter of the stuff in the article.

A damn fine band - been revisiting the classic albums, the Wilson remixes, the archive releases. I came on board in 1977 with the Chrysalis albums, not hearing the original four albums until many years later.

All are good, I think I now prefer the Vertigo years (early albums). But every album has its treasures, even the last two.

24. rikki nadir

rikki nadir Gentleman Thug

Welcome aboard the good ship GG! Or the SS Pantagruel as they would probably christen her were they to have ever been able to afford one...

I enjoyed that Gentle Giant article in the magazine Prog January 2018 edition. Reading the article while listening to the Playing The Fool and Three Friends albums was some of the most pleasure I have had from recorded music for some time.

They really should do some sort of live GG reunion. I would be there in a flash.

izgoblin and drum_cas like this.
  25. Aqualung2410

Aqualung2410 Forum Resident

Can't wait for the "In a Glass House" SW treatment (if it happens at all) it's my favourite GG album

izgoblin and drum_cas like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.