Jimmy Page says previously unheard Led Zeppelin music will be released for band's 50th anniversary

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bartels76, Dec 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

Can you imagine anyone in her family seeing that video now?

"GRANDMA...?!"

:wtf:

Sean and Overthehillsandfaraway like this.
  2. Overthehillsandfaraway

Overthehillsandfaraway Forum Resident

To misquote Nigel Tufnel,

"best left unseen"

DrBeatle likes this.
  3. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

I`m in super anticipation mode for whatever is coming this year.:thumbsup:

Sean and johnny q like this.
  4. Roberto899

Roberto899 Forum Resident

As someone who travels for work weeks at a time, I can tell you, if you get just a cold and sore throat on the road, boy does it linger for a real long time and then it just feeds on itself.

The Trinity likes this.
  5. SickAgain

SickAgain Active Member

Thank God they did not do that!

Lambert75 and BDC like this.
  6. duneman

duneman Forum Resident

Having been on a business trip to ole Blighty in 2014, I gotta second that, ate a bad oyster and had a serious case of the tourist trots for about five days.

Sean, Roberto899 and The Trinity like this.
  7. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

what A lovely person..

Thanks for posting :)

8. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

Plant had Cozy for two songs on his first solo album, and they weren't bad. Those tracks were a pretty good indication of what Zeppelin would have sounded like had they decided to go on with Cozy stepping in for Bonzo. I recall Plant saying in interviews that he felt Cozy was a little "too close to the mark" or something along those lines, so he got Phil Collins in for the rest of the album.

Sean, dee and tinnox like this.
  9. BPrice

BPrice Senior Member

[​IMG] Being a huge Zep fan, the lead up to these types of releases is always exciting.

I was thinking, has anyone actually done an analysis of photos from Zep gigs to try and put together a list of shows that may have been professionally recorded? For example, there are two mics on Bonzo's kick at this 1980 show. PA reinforcement typically only requires one. Analysis of photos from shows that have been released officially always reveals two mics on the kick. Hmm.

[​IMG]

Sean, wwright, steveharris and 2 others like this.
  10. +1

11. steveharris

Hey what `80 show is that photo from,Zurich?

12. steveharris

It is okay.Thankyou very much for the reply.I needed that reinforcement.

13. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

From the experience of people I know, heroin causes you to crap your pants. There are stories of Evan Dando playing a local club here where he was whacked out on heroin. Crapped his pants all over the place. Onstage, in the street, etc...

14. ralphie

ralphie Forum Resident

Going through withdrawals almost always causes diarrhea, but when you're on heroin (or any other kind of opiate) itself, bowel movements don't come easily, as a few others have pointed out. It's easy to see how someone like Evan Dando wouldn't always be able to get his stuff on the road, whereas I can't see Jimmy Page ever having to go without if he didn't want to.

marmalade166 likes this.
  15. BPrice

BPrice Senior Member

It may actually be Frankfurt 1980. I've not seen any rumors of any of the '80 shows being professionally recorded, and thought this was interesting. There may be more to choose from than we think.

Sean and steveharris like this.
  16. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Perhaps, but there is no reason not to believe Kevin Shirley. A picture with a second microphone on a bass drum is not enough to debunk Shirley's assertion that nothing from 1980 was multitracked.

17. BPrice

BPrice Senior Member

That is true, but I've now found multiple pics from different 1980 shows with the 2 mic setup on the kick. This definitely wasn't standard practice, as most live pics clearly show only 1, and all pics I've found from shows we know were pro recorded have 2 on the kick. Also, I always thought it was interesting Page talked about a chronological live release when there were entire tours/years with supposedly no pro recorded gigs (1969?!, 1977, 1980).

It's probably nothing, but I thought it was interesting. There may be some unknowns in the vault.

18. Benn Kempster

Benn Kempster Who else?

There almost certainly are. A case in point is Queen where their official archivist emphatically denied that they had ever performed The Fairy Feller's Master Stroke on stage, only for it to appear on the band's Live At The Rainbow release. He also categorically denies that they ever recorded Hangman when a 10" acetate exists in a private collection.

People close to a band issue denials like this all the time in order to deflect anticipation and set expectations to what is COMMONLY known to exist. Makes their jobs easier.

19. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

That is true. However, he may have had the 8/10/69 Playhouse Theatre tapes in his possession for 1969. He had RAH from 1970, the Japan tapes from 1971 (plus the Playhouse Theatre gig, and possibly tapes from the club tour that he had alluded to), the LA and Long Beach tapes from 1972 (possibly Japan 1972 as well), Southampton and MSG from 1973, Earls Court 1975, and Knebworth 1979. That is a solid chronological sequence, even if it had to start at 1970 and conclude in 1979. And while it omits 1977 and 1980, an argument can be made that there are similarities between 1975 and 1977, and 1979 with 1980, so it still is a relatively seamless transition. Still, it would be great if Shirley was wrong, and a 1980 multitrack surfaced.

20. Stefan

Stefan Senior Member

The first time I saw Page talk about a chronological live release was in the Melody Maker interview he did in the fall of 1977. Since it was just a couple of months after the `77 tour, he might have mentioned that nothing from the most recent tour was recorded. I have that old Melody Maker around here somewhere in a box. Hopefully I'll find it someday.

PacificOceanBlue likes this.
  21. steveharris

Much more interesting than Page`s Bowel movements.:sigh:
    I don`t think it`s likely we would get a soundboard for an official release and they probably don`t exist but I always wondered if they recorded any other complete shows on the soundboard like Offenburg`73 Denmark`71 or NY `70.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  22. Talk about a threadcrap . . . :yikes:

23. Ozzy had the right idea. He used the hotel bathroom before the show!

[​IMG]

superstar19 likes this.
  24. Ozzy's bowel: "I'm going through changes...".

Sean, Musicisthebest, jay.dee and 3 others like this.
  25. steveharris

A little off the subject but funny,Tony Iommi told a story in a Guitar World`92 interview with James Hetfield where the members of Sabbath where in a fancy hotel elevator and Ozzy decides to go right there.The elevator reached the lobby and the doors open.These rich people are looking at Ozzy in shock.
    Iommi also once asked Bill Ward if he can light him on fire,Bill says no not right now.A few hours later Bill says I`m going home now do you still want to light me on fire Tony?Unfortunately Bill Ward went up in flames and had all of these really bad burns.:oops:
    Imagine somebody wanting to set Bonzo on fire!

Okay back on topic,I was wondering about those Zeppelin soundboards because I never knew why some where complete or very close to complete while others were only fragments.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.