David Crosby "Sky Trails"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Musician95616, May 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

After listening to all 3 of his latest releases - Croz, Lighthouse and Sky Trails - I must say Sky Trails is the best of the 3 IMO. Each are very good and have a different sound.

After all David Crosby has been through over the years he is to be commended for still producing excellent music and performing live.

2. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I have just noticed there are now two different pressings of the LP on Amazon UK. 'Import' which is likely the noisy US one I have and 'BMG rights management (UK)'. Might be worth a punt on the later.

Hep Alien likes this.
  3. FangfossFlyer

FangfossFlyer Forum Resident

Let's all know how you get on with this as I have the 'noisy' one and would definitely buy a quieter one.

Richard

4. perplexed

perplexed Forum Resident

Streamed it the other day. It sounds like the old Croz has been spinning a lot of Steely Dan

RubenH, Hep Alien and Matthew Tate like this.
  5. rjp

rjp Senior Member

crosby has said many times that steely dan is his favorite band

The MEZ, Hep Alien and Matthew Tate like this.
  6. Classicrock

The new copy turned up and it is the US version. What's more missing shrinkwrap and one record stuffed in sleeve the wrong way. Suggests I got a recycled Amazon return. It's going back as damaged packaging. Don't know whether to check if better pressing but chances this has been played and sent back as faulty. I wonder if Amazon employees know the difference between 2 versions listed or if descriptions have been reversed?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  7. FangfossFlyer

FangfossFlyer Forum Resident

Disappointing to say the least!

Richard

8. And Aja and Gaucho his two favorite Dan records. If I did not read it on Twitter from the man himself, I would not have guessed it.

9. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

He has good taste.

10. I assumed that to be true of either him or of James Raymond (if not both). The CPR and Crosby*Nash albums clearly demonstrate this. That's a big part of why I love them so much. It's like Steely Dan but with gorgeous CSN harmony singing.

Hep Alien and driverdrummer like this.
  11. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

The Croz album cover looks like Yacht Rock.

12. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

Not sure where to put this, but Croz is playing this Thursday at Carnegie Hall. I passed Nash on Lexington Ave. this afternoon (he's surprisingly tall, btw). So if they're both in town, maybe they've buried the hatchet (or are in the process of doing so) and will "reunite" at Carnegie Hall. Or not. I mean, it's a long shot, but what the hell, right?

13. rjp

rjp Senior Member

that would nothing less than wonderful

The MEZ and Hep Alien like this.
  14. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

Crosby is one of the guests playing with snarky puppy. He's not the main act. Of course it's possible.

Hep Alien likes this.
  15. I have been trying to get a decent vinyl copy of this album. I really like the music, I think the album is really strong. But the vinyl is quite noisy, especially side 2.

Well, now I understand why so many people have reported issues, especially with side 2. I have two vinyl copies and have needledropped them, also to check which is less noisy. Well, both copies have the clicks and pops, especially on side 2, in the very same place. This means that the clicks and pops are part of the stamper, something must have gone wrong during the making of the stamper.

Check your copy: For example, last track on side 2, at about 1:25 minutes into the song, you will hear around a dozen repeated and pronounced pops. This is probably the easiest way to identify because of the many repeats, but there are many other clicks and pops on side 2 in the same place on both copies.

No point in exchanging your copy in hope to get a better one, unless it is warped or has a damaged cover (which I have also seen).

All in all, I am not sure if it is worth it to keep a copy. The CD might be the better option, not sure if a high-res download exists.

They need to master this again on vinyl to get this right. They must have received a lot of returns for this pressing. I usually have no issue with an isolated click/pop here and there, but multiple repeat loud pops is hard to accept.

piepants likes this.
  16. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

zobalob, Hep Alien, Dok and 2 others like this.
  17. rjp

rjp Senior Member

he must use just use a s**tload of blood thinners.......amazing he is still with us, just amazing.

quite possibly my all-time favorite artist and so many levels.

The MEZ, sherrill50 and Matthew Tate like this.
  18. Diskhound

Diskhound Forum Resident

I picked-up the 2 LP set recently. USA manufactured. Cleaned it up on my VPI today and played it. Great music. I really like this album. It's not the best lookin' vinyl though and it's definitely not dead silent. But ... I think I got lucky, my copy plays fine all the way through, including side 2. The background noise is somewhat present from time to time but it doesn't seem to distract me. I guess there are ok copies out there.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
    Hep Alien likes this.
  19. spewey

spewey Senior Member

I wish I had checked this thread first before buying the LPs. Disc one is reeeeeeally noisy. This is gonna go on the trading block at the local record store. Glad I got it on sale at least... but still... disappointing.

piepants and Matthew Tate like this.
  20. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Love, love, love his most recent three albums with Sky Trails maybe being the best of the lot.

The MEZ and Matthew Tate like this.
  21. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

22. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

The MEZ, Hep Alien and Matthew Tate like this.
  23. Classicrock

I bought the CD due to the noisy vinyl. It doesn't sound as good, though of course no crackle. That was comparing playback on Oppo 205 v Pioneer PLX1000 rather than the far superior Michell Orbe. It's very clear and punchy, but I'm sure they added a fair bit of compression, though nothing nasty here. Vinyl would rule here if QC hadn't screwed up.

RubenH likes this.
  24. ecosse_011172

ecosse_011172 Forum Resident

How is the HdTracks 24 bit version, worth getting over the noisy vinyl?

Newton John likes this.
  25. Musician95616

Musician95616 Forum Resident Thread Starter

The vinyl just needs to be cleaned. I washed and dry vacc'd it. Sounds great now.

Newton John and lemonade kid like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.