Is it just me or Led Zeppelin (or rather half of the band) were simply bad too many times LIVE? *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DLeet, Jun 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

You know, I've heard about this. I'm pretty sure I have.

2. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

Yeah, Freddy Mercury was notorious for "just standing there".

Dodoz and Rockstar2112 like this.
  3. FFF

FFF Forum Resident

Agreed. Classic over-thinking it !

HotelYorba101, Rockstar2112 and DRM like this.
  4. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

I agree on the fact that Roger Daltrey seemed quite influenced by Robert Plant from 1970 onwards. Not that he didn't have his own thing (of course he did! I love Roger!) but the hair, the SCREAMS à la "Who's Next", and some of the posturing on stage, showing his chest and so on, all that happened after Led Zeppelin. Roger didn't sing this way at all yet on "The Who Sell Out" for instance.

Rockstar2112 likes this.
  5. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

I'd play this on the jukebox as a 16 or 17 year old busboy working at a Holiday Inn.

Kind of shook the room up.

Good times.

6. Rockstar2112

Rockstar2112 Forum Resident

Roger Daltrey is an excellent front man. I know Zeppelin opened for The Who on several occasions in America during 1970 & even Pete Townshend was suitably impressed. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery!!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
    Dodoz likes this.
  7. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

Not fair. The Beatles were an amazing live band until their popularity outstripped their ability to be heard over bigger and bigger audiences. The quality of their singing and playing was always very high, but rock PA systems didn't really catch up until the late 60's, and were still primitive even then. Honestly, in '63 and '64, I think they were an exciting live act that was every bit as good as the records they were making.

8. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

I love Daltrey's singing and his frontman persona, but honestly, Roger had serious competition in his own band!!!! Townshend and Moon were often as dynamic as Roger, and Moon was a drummer. Watching The Who, I don't know who to watch, there's so much happening.

Bowie was one hell of a front man too. He owned the stage. Freddie as well.

Rockstar2112 likes this.
  9. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

Amazing, this thread started by criticizing live performances of Led Zeppelin, and now we're moving on to The Beatles.

10. This.

Terrapin Station and Dr. Funk like this.
  11. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

I just got to this thread for the first time and only read Page 1.

Odd thread, because Zeppelin was one of those bands I always considered a fantastic live band. Much more so than others. I think "The Song Remains The Same" is their best album. "No Quarter" on there is spine-tingling.

12. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

Strange indeed.

Paulo Alm likes this.
  13. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

It's a free concert now! Who's on next.... Fat Elvis!

Dr. Funk likes this.
  14. Rockstar2112

Even Ozzy Osborne has that same charisma that Daltrey, Jagger, Plant, Jim Morrison, Bowie & Mercury have. It is all about connecting with an audience using your voice, mannerisms, body language etc. Usually but not always it involves some sexual connotations.

15. rpd

rpd Senior Member

Song remains the same..

16. Rockstar2112

TSRTS is a film soundtrack album so while I do find it enjoyable it does have some faults such as edited songs from different nights & being at the tail end of a gruelling tour. I suggest How The West Was Won.

17. yarbles

yarbles Too sick to pray

Why is that unlistenable for you? Have your ears fallen off?

18. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

I heard what's supposed their worst show ever, and it's a mess (somewhere in 77, an incomplete audience recording i don't remember where with Page completely out of it), but generally, from what i've heard on bootlegs, Led Zeppelin live was quite impressive and mammoth-like...I'm always impressed by the fact they only had one guitar and sounded like that. That was a lot to cover for Jimmy Page. Of course, there are different eras, and are we talking about the final European tour in 1980 or early 72 etc. Two different bands really.

Rockstar2112 likes this.
  19. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

The Beatles were hugely exciting live in the early days. Shea Stadium says it all. This may be the first time someone used the following...to describe my stance on the Beatles: "Not fair".

20. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

The Trinity likes this.
  21. ribonucleic

ribonucleic Forum Resident

Worse than June 27, 1980 when Bonham collapsed three songs in?

22. Rockstar2112

77 was not Page's or the band's finest hour but there was still some excellent music, Ten Years Gone ( with JPJ and his three necked acoustic instrument lol) & the return of the acoustic set. Jimmy Page was very erratic & tended to get 'lost' often but what amazes me in the bootlegs that I have heard is that he always somehow finds a way out of the musical maze that he created & right when you think he is hopelessly doomed he will exhibit a dose of musical genius!! From one extreme to another!!

CrombyMouse likes this.
  23. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

Hey everyone, I found a pefect example of the sloppy guitar playing of Page, the bloated drumming of Bonzo, and the lifeless frontman, Plant. I haven' heard very much bashing of John Paul Jones. What can we say about him?

Paulo Alm likes this.
  24. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

his video on you tube has him saying he never liked LZ. He says it’s a shame because he likes them as people who are very nice but never cared for their music.

25. Rockstar2112

He noticed Plant's look even if he didn't like the music lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.