OPPO BDP-103 and BDP-105 Networking Universal 3D Blu-ray Players (part4)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ken_McAlinden, Dec 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediJoker

JediJoker Audio Engineer/Enthusiast

Interestingly, there was an update recently for the BDP-8X. So it is possible that there will be incidental updates down the road.

tmtomh likes this.
  2. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

I'm tired of my iPhone app crashing. And I'm tired of the Oppo crashing after, and sometimes during, streaming.
    It's obviously a software issue.
    When is there a fix for that?

3. drumnman2

drumnman2 Active Member

I hear you !! Sit down to relax and listen to music and either the player has an issue or the tablet app does. One of the reasons I got the 105D was for streaming Tidal and it has been very frustrating at times. Will work great at times and then ... I've been on the phone with them and they say they are working on it, that was before the 205 so I doubt it now. Getting so I avoid using it and just put a cd in. Pretty sure I am going to go down another road for my Tidal because I enjoy the many choices, but it was a nice idea to have it all in one unit. I think that is why they don't offer streaming in the 205, too many complaints, and well, they can sell Sonica for that.

4. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

I had my Oppo 105 for about 4 years-it is amazingly versatile but it was never much use at streaming albeit I think Tidal worked better than streaming from my iMac...the problem with Tidal for audiophile purposes is that the Masters/MQA aspect can only be done directly from a computer.

5. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

You can access Tidal Masters via Roon or Bluesound. If you’re going to pull the Oppo from streaming use, the Node 2 might be a cost effective replacement.

BSC likes this.
  6. BSC

BSC Forum Resident

Thanks I replaced my 105 with the Sony UBP-X800. I tried Roon as part of a PC integration experiment into my system and I hated it to be honest but it is something (a pc aspect) I keep in mind-streaming and file replay fall behind disc replay for me.

7. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Huh? The last update I see was in 2014.

8. JediJoker

JediJoker Audio Engineer/Enthusiast

Well, I just last month got the update notification for mine. It had been set to automatically notify when an update was found since installation. I figure it would have found the update before now had it been available.

9. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Not sure why you only got the notification for the 83 last month.

As I said, the version history for the BDP-83 shows the last update to have been in 2014 (about a year after the BDP-105 was introduced). And the last update for the BDP103/105 was a year ago.

It could happen, I wouldn't hold my breath on further 103/105 updates.

10. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

I was wondering that same thing. When I saw that post I went to Oppo's site to see if I had missed any updates for my 83, and the last one posted there was long ago.

11. Mo0g

Mo0g Forum Resident

Quick question guys, at the moment as I am without a dedicated listening room I am primarily listening to music via headphones.

For lossless files streamed across my network to my Oppo 105D I plug the headphones directly into the Oppo. The oppo is also connected to my a/v receiver via hdmi in case I want to watch a film on it, or on very rare occasions have it play through speakers (5.1 or stereo). My receiver has a pure direct mode.

For vinyl my turntable is hooked up to a parasound halo stereo integrated amp, and I plug my headphones into that for vinyl. The halo is also connected to my a/v receiver via pre-out connections to an aux input for those very rare occasions I want the sound to come out of the speakers.

I am not sure if that set up is getting the best out of the headphones (ie the relative merits of the headphone amp in the old yamaha a/v receiver (with pure direct), the oppo, or the parasound. My current headphones are grado 325e, and I am happy enough with everything as it is.

Now, the reason I want to revisit my configuration is that I am intending to by some Focal Clear headphones over the next few months, and I think the headphone amp will be much more important, so with that in mind, what is the optimum configuration for both vinyl and NAS music here? I suspect I should have my oppo connected to the halo, but I am not sure how (analog inputs, theatre bypass, optical, coax etc) in order to listen to those lossless network files, which include DSD format, and any SACD I might want to (rarely) listen to.

Any advice welcome!

tmtomh likes this.
  12. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

Very interesting questions! They're really hard to answer, though, for two main reasons:
    1. No one can predict if the sound will be more pleasing to you with a more direct connection (less equipment in the chain), or a less direct one (more equipment in the chain)
    2. No one can predict how each headphone amp will pair with your new headphones
    So I think you're going to have to test a bunch of combinations. In my experience, the number-one factor that shapes how good or bad a headphone sounds with other equipment comes down to impedance: How does the input impedance of the headphones interact with the output impedance of the headphone jack of whatever you're plugging it into?

You can get an initial clue about this by looking at the numbers: If your Focal's rated impedance is the same or similar to that of your current headphones, then you are likely to be happy with your current equipment configuration. If, however, the Focal's impedance is significantly higher or lower, then you might need to change things up.

To oversimplify, if the Focal's impedance is higher than than that of your existing headphones, then that will impact the frequency balance of the sound (because impedance varies with frequency, and because a higher impedance headphone requires more power from the headphone amp, which can mean less bass impact of the headphone amp is underpowered). And it might also impact the noise floor (because a mediocre headphone amp will sound noisy if you have to turn it up more to compensate for a high impedance headphone).

You can of course look at your equipment's output impedance specs for the headphone outputs, but the value of those numbers is limited - they are more likely to help explain what you hear after the fact than to predict ahead of time which equipment will sound best or worst with the headphones.

Linger63 and JediJoker like this.
  13. Mo0g

Mo0g Forum Resident

Thanks for the reply!

Okay so the grado impedence is 32Ohms, Focal Clear 55Ohms.

I probably need to clarify, it is because the new headphones would be more transparent that I expected the headphone amp side of the equation be more important. Whilst I am happy with the configuration now, if I am spending so much more on new headphones I want to try and ensure I make the most of them, hence my question.

To put it another way, I am really asking if my configuration could be improved upon for use with these reference headphones, my assumption was (probably incorrect) that the current configuration was 'good enough' for the Grado's and I wouldn't really notice much, if any, difference with things optimised.

Here are the relative headphone amp specs for the Oppo and Halo;

Oppo:
    • Frequency Response: 20Hz – 20kHz: ±0.3dB into 300 Ω
    • Signal-to-Noise Ratio: >98dB into 300 Ω (A-weighted, no auto-mute)
    • THD+N: <0.001% or -100dB into 300 Ω (1kHz at 48k/24b, 0dBFS, 20kHz LPF)
    • Output Power (per channel): 17mW into 600 Ω, 34mW into 300 Ω, 63mW into 150 Ω, 77mW into 120 Ω, 120mW into 60 Ω, 187mW into 32 Ω (1kHz at 0dBFS)
    • Dynamic Range: >110dB
    • Channel separation: >90dB

Halo - only give impedence and identifies the TPA6120A2 chip, and from that datasheet:
    • SNR of 128dB A-Weighted.
    • THD of 112.5dB
    • Current-Feedback Architecture
    • Output Voltage Noise of 0.9µVrms at
      Gain = 1V/V (16Ω Load)
    • Power Supply Range: ±5V to ±15V
    • 1300V/µs Slew Rate
    • Can be configured for Single Ended or Differential Inputs
    • Independent Power Supplies for Low Crosstalk

I don't know if it is possible to determine which is the 'best' amp of the above 2, to drive heaphones with 55Ohm impedence?

tmtomh likes this.
  14. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

My gut would say that the Oppo's headphone amp would be the best, but I could be completely wrong. You definitely could do better than either of them with a high-end dedicated headphone amp. That would open up a whole range of options. Whether or not you'd hear a difference even with the Focal headphones, and whether or not that difference would be tiny or significant, is very difficult for anyone to say unless they have your same headphones and have already gone through the type of upgrade in headphone amp that you're wondering about. Sorry I can't be of more help.

15. deadcoldfish

deadcoldfish Senior Member

The TI chip does have an output spec of 1.5W.

tmtomh likes this.
  16. Bruce Burgess

Bruce Burgess Senior Member

I bought a used Oppo 105D last year and I'm very pleased with both the sound and video performance. I just have one problem. When playing computer downloads, there are gaps between tracks including live tracks and tracks that segue together. I don't seem to be able to get rid of the gaps. Anybody have any ideas?

17. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

One long file and a cue sheet or a pc and the hdmi inputs...

18. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

Assuming you have current Firmware............

1. Press the star key on your Oppo's remote to access "Options" menu.
    2. Select "Gapless"

NB..........Doesn't work for all file types

JediJoker and tmtomh like this.
  19. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

Works for FLAC, ALAC. Doesn’t work for DSD but the cue file technique works.

Linger63, JediJoker and tmtomh like this.
  20. Bruce Burgess

Thank you. The first thing I'll have to do is make sure I have the latest firmware.

21. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

It also only works with hard drives directly connected to the USB in. At least I never got it to work with my NAS. And you have to set it to gapless every time you play a folder. It can't be set as a default setting.

I ended up using a computer connected to one of the digital inputs. The OPPO isn't really much of a streaming device if you want gapless. But it's a pretty decent DAC.

22. wvsteveo

wvsteveo Forum Resident

Agree, Oppo 103 has a great DAC, but I had great difficulty using it for streaming Flac and Hi Res files from external drive on PC. It would crash almost every session. So now I have repurposed a PC for music and from it run a HDMI cable from PC direct to the Yamaha RX A2020 (not sure of the quality of its DAC...likely not as good as the Oppo) and as an alternative, ability to switch to a USB cable from PC to a HRD Music Streamer then analog to RCA inputs on Yamaha.

23. deadcoldfish

deadcoldfish Senior Member

Why don't you run the HDMI out from the PC to the Oppo HDMI input?

gjp163 and JediJoker like this.
  24. Bruce Burgess

I wonder if it will work with a flash drive plugged into the USB in.

25. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Yes, hard drive, USB stick, anything as long as it's plugged directly into the USB in.

JediJoker likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.