Bowie LET’S DANCE Deluxe Edition

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bowie Fett, Dec 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gazatthebop

gazatthebop Forum Resident

that second demo snippet sounded like its from the bbc theatre show 2000

2. leoconsole

leoconsole Forum Resident

Maybe, but then does anyone know how long that film was in pre-production?

3. shadow blaster

shadow blaster Forum Resident

According to Wikipedia, they were at discussion stage in March 1983.
    Labyrinth (film) - Wikipedia

That seems to be before Bowie was approached, so if correct, it seems implausible that he had any songs written for the movie in Fall 1982.

4. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

Right - that's exactly why there hasn't been ANY artist/record company releases of multidisc (4CD+) super deluxe editions dedicated to single albums over the last decade...

Oh wait

oldturkey and BlueSpeedway like this.
  5. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

So we have Nile Rodgers, Erdal Kizilcay and Blammo plus probably Coco who don't remember two musicians that played on the demo in '82, nor where to find that in the archive. Luckily we still have Tony Visconti who did remember how the Low album should have sounded five years earlier :agree:

All the more reason for Bowie Inc to pick up some pace and start preparing and releasing those Deluxe editions, with at least some producers and fans still alive. Don't want to be wheelchairtracksinthesand by the time they hit stores. I'll get a new pair of red shoes now...

6. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident

I enjoyed the demo. ANYTHING from the vaults is both worth a listen and a smile. Happy birthday David.

Dbstay, ad180, Ken.e. and 2 others like this.
  7. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

I hope we don't have to wait too long for the deluxe editions & demos etc. Personally I'd rather have rough demos of Sweet Thing, STS, Always Crashing or Loving The Alien than any amount of boxed set remasters/remixes.

You could well be fossilisedfootprintsinthesand by the time they appear.

[​IMG]

850,000-year-old human footprints found in Norfolk

8. jimjim

jimjim Forum Resident

Hear hear. Love Nile's playing on this. On the master his contribution is quite muted...

WeepingWall and pobbard like this.
  9. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

Who knew I had the power? If I could only stop them releasing compressed remasters as well!

cmcintyre, TonyCzar and BlueSpeedway like this.
  10. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway Curated Iconic Half-Speed Picture Disc

And besides, going crazy with satisfaction and love for “Parlophone” releasing one short demo is not the way to get good stuff going on. If I were them I’d be laughing my head off at the minimal things one has to do to get ecstacy and defence out of some Bowie listeners.

£13.00 7” single reissues. Hurrah!

Substandard £100 - £200 box sets! Hurrah!

One 1982 demo. Yeah!

Why would they even bother doing more, more quickly, or doing better?

11. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Maybe now they're beginning to realize that we move in numbers and we've got them in a corner...

12. BlueSpeedway

:laugh:

What will you be my friend, you’re already an oldturkey, so... I guess, a stuffed one? :)

[​IMG]

oldturkey likes this.
  13. BlueSpeedway

.. and me, still Blue, but...

[​IMG]

mestreech likes this.
  14. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

We are getting something new and right away, you are unsatisfied with it.
    Very ungrateful behaviour and a hopeless negative attitude which doesn't serve any of us or the will from the companies to release more in the furture. Moaning and complaining are this forum's keywords.

15. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

Relax! It's just my opinion and I am 100% convinced that the record label doesn't give a.....

16. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

If that's in response to me (since I was one of the two people you quoted) it makes ZERO sense since you are complaining that the record companies don't give us anything at the same time (as I said) the record companies have been in the continuing process of emptying their vaults over the last decade largely because that's where the money is nowadays - classic rock superboxes aimed at boomers/gen x-ers (who actually still purchase physical product):

Several (usually at least 3 or 4 CD up to sometimes even dozen-plus disc long) single album focused monsterboxes for (just off the top of my head):

Metallica
    Bob Dylan
    King Crimson
    U2
    Smashing Pumpkins
    Pink Floyd
    McCartney
    Led Zeppelin

..etc...etc...etc...

I'm far from unsatisfied (quite the opposite in fact) Sure there's a lot more acts that I wish would get on board with this trend, but to claim that the record companies are reluctant to mine their vaults is absolute nonsense since they've been doing so in increasingly sized packages for decades (since the early 90s):

1 - single CD expanded remasters
    2 - double disc Deluxe/Legacy editions
    3 - 4cd boxsets (either "best of" boxes with a couple rarities or in many cases 4CD boxsets of nothing but rarities/unreleased tracks)
    4 - bloated multimedia boxes containing cds/dvds/ridiculously oversized coffeetable book etc
    5 - full discography boxes (including bonus unreleased live and/or rarities albums
    6 - boxsets containing entire concert TOURS (or as many shows were taped/survive)

I'd say its you moaning and complaining with a negative attitude about a problem that doesn't exist (ie 'record companies are reluctant when it comes to issuing archive material...") which is obviously and demonstrably NOT TRUE!

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
    Ken.e. and Ben Adams like this.
  17. nick jones

nick jones Forum Resident

18. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

The clip they played of the 'folk' version is the intro to the version he played live at the BBC in 2000.
    The track appeared on the limited 3cd edition of "BBC Sessions", where the full 2000 concert was added as a bonus cd.
    I don't know if that disc is rare or not. But VERY great it is!

jlf likes this.
  19. mishima's dog

mishima's dog Forum Resident

I love Nile Rodgers and he did a great job on Let's Dance but I have to say I'm getting a little tired of hearing him talk up his own contribution and by implication talk down Bowie's. I don't doubt for a minute that he brought 'da funk' but that's what he was brought in to do after all. The lyrics and melody are Bowie's and If he'd come up with it during the SM sessions i suspect he'd still of turned it into a top song. So maybe time to play us a different tune Nile dahling.

sortvinyl and Markyp like this.
  20. Ken.e.

Ken.e. Spinning music since...

Great version. I am a physical media guy who all though I enjoyed listening to it and will again. I would prefer it be part of a box set of demos or Let's Dance era music.
    Happy Birthday David! Thanks for the great demo.

21. pottsbotts

pottsbotts New Member

I love this demo. Though it does expose how little of a song there is.

TonyCzar and pobbard like this.
  22. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

Shows how much I listen to it! I'll have to dig it out.

pottsbotts likes this.
  23. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

Methinks you’re reading too much into it. It was a collaboration and Bowie thought very highly of Rodgers and his work.

24. telecode101

telecode101 Forum Resident

maybe so, but his lead work on that record catapulted him to later fame.

25. telecode101

telecode101 Forum Resident

The longer rockier recorded version with SVR is much better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.