Josh Ritter - New Album: Gathering

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mynameistaken, Jul 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mynameistaken

mynameistaken Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. PoeRaider

PoeRaider Forum Resident

Thanks for the heads up, wasn't aware this was coming. I also loved Sermon On The Rocks. I put in a preorder for the signed 2 lp journal version of Gathering, looking forward to it!

3. power popper

power popper Forum Resident

Thanks for letting us know, mynameistaken. I'm always up for a new Josh Ritter album. I made sure to catch him twice in the past year, a full-band opening slot for Jason Isbell and a solo headlining show. He hasn't disappointed me yet.

4. Feat77

Feat77 Forum Resident

Sermon On The Rocks was one of the more compelling and unique releases that year and definitely some of Ritter's best work. A tough one to top but I have faith in his constant desire to put out quality material.

Geee! likes this.
  5. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

6. I have already pre-ordered the signed deluxe CD version from Amazon. Josh's deluxe CD sets are always worth getting with their bonus discs.

7. mrjinks

I'll have to work to get it signed! He's doing an in-store for us (he likes Idaho!) next month, and I just preordered from the local shop - only way to get into the free show (he did the same thing for Sermon...)

Heard most of the new disc tonight!
    Josh Ritter Setlist at The State Room, Salt Lake City

Davey and PhantomStranger like this.
  8. mynameistaken

9. mrjinks

Josh can’t have another album already ... can he?

PhantomStranger and anodyne like this.
  10. mynameistaken

I believe this is a one off single. If you go to Noisetrade you can get the song +Gathering by entering your email.

11. mrjinks

Yeah, I searched around last night and found it was aired on some TV back in 2016 and some folks had been clamoring for a release of it. Maybe Josh can start a "Bootleg Series" of his own and start including some of these orphaned outtakes...

12. mynameistaken

I believe he’s gone into the last two albums with enough songs for a double album. I would love to hear a recording of his tour where he played “work in progress” songs.

13. mrjinks

Funny you mention that. I saw he had a slew of those "work in progress" solo shows booked last summer, so I bought a ticket to one (in SLC). Between the time I bought the ticket and the actual show, Gathering was announced. It was a very enjoyable show, but there really weren't any "works in progress" done, as you can see by the setlist:
    Josh Ritter Setlist at The State Room, Salt Lake City

He did a bunch of songs from the new album, but since it was long since recorded (and tracklisting announced), it wasn't really accurate to call it a "works in progress" show, IMO. I will say that most times I've seen him, I think he's introduced some new works that don't surface for a year or two. I'm debating whether to see his show here this month. I'm not fond of the venue, and I'm expecting a lot of songs that I saw him do acoustically at that show and a "record release" party here the following month...

14. Josh also had an exclusive track for Amazon's digital Christmas compilation some probably missed. I like Miles Away a lot, more than most of Gathering itself.

mynameistaken likes this.
  15. mrjinks

I actually like Gathering quite a bit, but I don’t think he’s found the right producer yet. I think the *songs* are mostly quite good (as the demo disc attests), but sometimes they seem to go awry in the finished version. For example, I think Friendamine is a quirky, engaging tune. But the album version is just ... a misguided, overly busy track.

I think Josh is one of the top writers out there these days (in the Dylan/Cohen/Thompson vein), but I don’t think he’s made a classic ALBUM yet. Either there are bizarre production choices or he winds up with incomplete song ideas fleshed out too much (“Wait for Love” off Historical Conquests leaps to mind). A minor frustration for me, as I want to play someone a full album of his and say - LISTEN TO THIS! But I have to do compilations instead...

16. I'd agree Josh is one of the few modern songwriters in that class but think he's already put together several great albums. The Animal Years, for one.

17. mrjinks

I came to his music after that, but backtracked to it. It had pretty much the same virtues/flaws as the rest of his catalog, I thought, but I’ll give it a spin in the coming days. :wave:

18. mynameistaken

I preferred Sermon on the Rocks to Gathering. Homecoming is one of my favorite tracks of his, love that song.

Geee! likes this.
  19. Anyone want Gathering for free plus the new Miles Away track? Noisetrade is giving out the album for free this week only. This is legitimate, direct from Josh's own mailing list.

Josh Ritter: Latest album Gathering + New Song!

His North American tour started tonight in Austin.

Gathering Tour

Here is what Josh Ritter said about the song Miles Away:

"I wrote 'Miles Away' a few years ago after flipping through a book of photos of the Earth from space. Zack Hickman produced it and plays most of the instruments on the song. I didn’t quite know what to do with song, so I held on to it. Still, I really wanted it to see the light of day, so I’m putting it out there and I’m really grateful to you for listening to it.”

mrjinks likes this.
  20. mrjinks

If any Ritter fans are online right now, he’s going to do a couple songs live on radio shortly (next fifteen mins or so) at www.riverinteractive.com in advance of his show here tonight.

21. I really ended warming up to Gathering. Not quite as good as Sermon on the Rocks, but better than most everything else out there! The vinyl is quite nice as well.

PhantomStranger likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.