Your most expensive record.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Airbus, Jan 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Airbus

Airbus Forum Resident Thread Starter

What was the most expensive record you bought? And how much was it?
    Mine was 50$ for Jethro Tull´s Living in the past.

2. AlanDistro

AlanDistro Forum Resident

Almost embarrassed to say, but...

$400 for Michael Jackson's "Another Part of Me" Promo CD maxi-single (ESK-1200)

3. Newton John

Newton John Forum Resident

After trying to replace my long lost original of Rod Stewart's Gasoline Alley I spent £50 on another one. It was money well spent compared to the money I wasted on the CD version and a recent vinyl that sounded as if had been copied from the CD.

Paid a similar amount to replace another lost record from my youth with a no longer available remastered vinyl - Wishbone Ash's Argus.

If only I'd just been more careful with the vinyl I bought as a lad.

deredordica, Alan2 and Airbus like this.
  4. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Thank God my favorites haven't hit that price point Alan! :laugh:
    Compact Disc-Front 242-Front by Front Japan CSR-50.00
    CD Single-Xymox-Imagination, US Promo, I think I paid around 30
    LP-Type O Negative-October Rust, 2006 50.00

AlanDistro likes this.
  5. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I don't pay too much for records usually but I bought The Beatles in mono box for £250, but of course that has many records. For individual items:

£60 for a mono UK Track original of Hendrix - Axis: Bold As Love with the scarce lyric insert. The record is crackly but not too bad.

£50 for a mono Regal Zonophone original of the first Move LP. VG+ condition.

£50 for an original UK Brunswick The Who - My Generation LP. VG condition. Sounds great. Only mild crackle between tracks. No groovewear which is rare on this one.

£45 for an original UK Pye International mono of Captain Beefheart - Safe As Milk. EX condition. I've since found that this is a fold down mix but I'm not too bothered. I like it!

Aside from these few I tend to draw the line at around £30. The majority of my records have been bargains for what they are, even the above ones.

6. The Trinity

The Trinity Do what thou wilt, so mote be it.

$1300 (factoring in exchange) for a copy of the mega rare British North American Act LP, purchased from a kind SHF member.

deredordica, Paully, Fullbug and 3 others like this.
  7. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

A sealed Mobile Fidelity UHQR, The Beatles, " Sgt Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club Band", Limited numbered edition box set LP, $500 back in early 2000's. Don't have the number at this moment, pack away in my room.

8. The Lone Cadaver

The Lone Cadaver Bass & Keys Cadaver

Who's Next autographed by all four. No idea what it would be worth today.

9. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

for a double it would be the Japan mono White Album red vinyl sealed $200
    and single - Revolver 606-1 uk mono $175 strong vg+.

john lennonist likes this.
  10. ragnar1

ragnar1 Member

rock a bop loreliei lynn $75 vg+?
    you turn me on boy honeybees $75 VG+ Fontana
    tirando dedo los shains $75 (with postage)VG

11. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Wow- I can't compete with many of you! I think the most I ever spent on a used record was $40 for an original US promo version of something. New records - probably the 45Rpm Analogue Productions releases. Like $55-ish. I'm sorry, but I would not pay anything beyond that unless it was a mint copy of an RL cut Zeppelin 2.

team2 and David P. Hill like this.
  12. BeardedSteven

BeardedSteven Forum Resident

A Morrissey live LP (Beethoven Was Deaf, still sealed) and the debut by Father John Misty( limited colored) I payed I think right at $100 each. I've not crossed that line yet...

13. ernie11

ernie11 Senior Member

Many years ago I paid $150 for the scarcer mono version of the Big Brother and the Holding Company 1968 LP, "Cheap Thrills", Columbia KCL-2900. It is currently my avatar.

14. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

The UK McCartney 'Sweet Thrash' 12" white label. I'm embarrassed to say what I paid for it :sigh:

15. swampwader

swampwader Forum Resident

Both of these were years ago, as I haven't spent more than $50 on any Lp since..
    $90 for a NM/NM orig UK 'Yellow Submarine' soundtrack. I was literally shaking after the transaction.:laugh:
    I think I paid $70 or $80 for the 3 record set of Beatles' 'Get Back' sessions, 'The Black Album'. A dealer friend came down from $150 for me.:laugh:

Man at C&A and hi_watt like this.
  16. Denny Anderson

Denny Anderson Forum Resident

$60 for a first pressing of The Stooges 1st one. Got several punk albums I've paid in the $50-$55 range. The hobby is one of the very few things I feel no remorse for splurging on. Ever.

17. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

Paid $70-75, 4 times: 3 Pink Floyd/1 Keith Richard, Japan pressed, M-.

Paid $5o many times, M-.

Do have a now worth rare $225 Keith Richard LP, I paid $25 new in Japan back in early '80s.

footlooseman and Lambert75 like this.
  18. Sam

Sam Senior Member

$175 for Elvis Presley's first lp on RCA. A better question is what did some members TURN AWAY and then regret not buying due to the initial cost? With me, I SHOULD have paid $160 for a NM White Label Promo of the Stones Sticky Fingers. Damn! How foolish of me.

shutdown66, Paully, G E and 4 others like this.
  19. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

Depends on the quality, mint? Near mint? ;)

20. Sam

Sam Senior Member

I assume you mean the quality of the cover and the clarity of the actual autographs.

21. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Paid $2000 for the Classic Records 45 rpm Led Zeppelin set. It was an open set so I could check the quality of each of the 48 disks. On the bright side, the Disk Union store that I bought it from here in Tokyo has an outstanding offer to buy it back from me for ¥300,000, which is $2700 or so. So, all is good!

carlwm, team2, LivingForever and 14 others like this.
  22. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

No. I was referring to the quality of the vinyl - attempt at humour.

The Killer likes this.
  23. box of frogs

box of frogs Forum Resident

A copy of the New Jazz Orchestra's "Le Dejeuner Sur L'herbe", a rare, original 1960s British jazz classic on the Verve label. The auction house were selling off Miles Kingston's jazz collection, and this is one I could afford. Still £160 though.

carlwm likes this.
  24. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

I think $90 is about tops for me too and it was also a long time ago. $40 has been the most I've paid for a record in recent years.

25. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

£600 for a copy of the Bowie DIR Glass Spider Concert Special. That was at the height of my collecting obsession.

I’ve owned some records that are much more valuable today, but that’s a twist on the original question. I had a demonstration sample of “Liza Jane”, plus NM copies of the first three U.K. Bowie albums (stereo Deram, Philips album, dress cover). The “Liza Jane” and dress cover are both very expensive records these days.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.