Un-Grateful Thread - What Are You Listening to Instead of the Dead?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tom H, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I saw at least one source saying that album came out the day I was born, but not 100% sure.

2. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Cool story! The day after the classic FM broadcast. Springsteen played two nights at Winterland.

I definitely understand those who left Springsteen by '84

ducksdeluxe likes this.
  3. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

It was $258 for all 23 shows, 22 of them sealed and the other rated as near mint. The seller sent word that he's shipping tomorrow. :pineapple:

Sometimes you just get lucky-it was actually you who put the idea back in my head when you posted the L.A. cover from that tour a few pages back. I just looked tonight for the first time and there it was, calling my name. All long OOP and never getting reissued, so $11 a pop for sealed discs, at least for me, was OK. Not having to do it your way adds a little value, too. Although now I can't buy the Genius Of Miles megabox that someone's offering on the classifieds, but since he's asking $500 for it that's not such a bad thing.

budwhite likes this.
  4. BurtThomasWard

BurtThomasWard Guided by Loke In Memoriam

I laughed, I swear :D Great story.

Likening Ged to a cat, I can somehow see. Aquired taste if there ever was one. Fred on the other hand is more like a Porsche. From a whisper to a scream in seconds flat and all points in between and sorta proves my point about 'you guys' getting a bit scairt off by the flamboyance and such. Have no fear, the guy drank beer like the rest of us.

Seriously tho, for the point that you are actually making here, I do see it. I used to love Zeppelin in spite of Plant and his effeminate vovalisations. Same with Judas Priest and Iron Maiden. Loved the music, detested the vocals. Hated Geddy and Jon Anderson and the music of Yes and Rush. All this because I thought that raspy and smoky was the only way to go if you wanted to be authentic. It isn't very fruitful to discuss taste and to each his own and all that.

But after becoming an older and much less serious man (I was so much older then, etc), I found that I didn't have to choose just one or the other. To quote mr. Mercury: I want it all. And I want it now ;)

P.S. Springsteen was incredible live in 1978. No doubt about that. I've watched that dvd which is on the Darkness box set about a gazillion times.

5. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

[​IMG]
    I started the day with Nico, by Blind Melon. A splendid collection of previously unreleased songs, B-sides and covers.

Crispy Rob and adamos like this.
  6. BurtThomasWard

But the rest of the album is so much better in mono. You need 'em both, really. I know I'm know as a hater of the Liverpudlian Monkees around here, but c'mon, it IS the Beatles after all. And they are pretty great.

7. BurtThomasWard

Less talk, more royalty:

[​IMG]

rockinlazys, DrLunchbox and budwhite like this.
  8. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

[​IMG]
    Same as disc 2 of In Concert, but with a slightly better mix, the original song order, a soundcheck performance bonus track and some extra stage banter. Golden days for Deep Purple.

Crispy Rob, adamos and budwhite like this.
  9. BurtThomasWard

[​IMG]

Having a tiny break from Fred & the gang. Dirty and groovy riffage a gogo.

rockinlazys likes this.
  10. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

[​IMG]
    Raw, undoctored live Aerosmith.

11. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

In light of his teams performance the other day this is especially amusing.

notesofachord likes this.
  12. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Kenny Burrell- Midnight Blue. Good music for a cloudy morning.

13. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

[​IMG]
    Some more Aerosmith. Lots of people swear this is their best album. I don't agree, but it's an excellent one.

Crispy Rob, DrLunchbox and budwhite like this.
  14. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

15. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

Fables is one of the best albums I own.

16. budwhite

[​IMG]

VU complete Matrix tapes. Live in San Francisco Nov 1969.
    To my knowledge the best sounding live VU that's out there

17. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

A bunch of numbers from different artists:
    • "Superwoman", by Stevie Wonder. Extraordinary number from Music of My Mind. Buzz Feiten on guitar, and Stevie on everything else. 1972.
    • "Exposure", by Robert Fripp. Taken from the album of the same name, his first solo record. Amazing performance by Terre Roche, who screams her throats out. 1979.
    • "Lean Woman Blues", by T. Rex. Great number from the classic Electric Warrior. Top-notch singing and guitar playing by the unique Marc Bolan. 1971
    • "Ojos de terciopelo", by Sumo. Atmospheric psych reggae number. Sumo was led by Luca Prodan, born in Italy, educated in a prestigious school in Scotland and finally refuged in Argentina trying to scape from heroin. This song is taken from the fantastic After chabón, the last record they recorded before Prodan's death in 1987.
    • "Pale Blue Eyes", by The Velvet Underground. A song used to mean a lot to me, even though I never went out with a blue-eyed girl. It's still sweet and depressing. The Velvet at their best. From their eponymous third album, 1968. Closet mix.
    • "Cities In Dust", by Siouxsie & The Banshees. I remember feeling an (by that time)unexplainable fascination for this song when I was a little kid, particularly because of the vocals. I still adore it, it's one of the best performances by Siouxsie. From Tinderbox, 1985.
    • "The Smithsonian Institute Blues", by Captain Beefheart and The Magic Band. Amazing vocals by Don, amazing playing by the Magic Band (that marimba just kills me), great lyrics. One of the few almost "normal" numbers in the masterpiece Lick My Decals Off, Baby. 1970.
    • "If There Is Something", by Roxy Music. If the band had recorded only this song, it would have been enough for me to love them. Ferry delivers one of his best vocal performances, superb sax solo by Mackay (masterfully treated by Eno), mood changes. A thrilling and perfectly constructed song. My favorite number from my favorite Roxy Music album, their debut LP from 1972. (I can't help thinking of Felicity Jones, looking even more gorgeous than usual, miming the last section of the song on the film Flashbacks of a Fool).

rockinlazys, maui jim, bzfgt and 5 others like this.
  18. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

[​IMG]
    A mixture of live performances, sound collages and field recordings made during the tour.

Archtop likes this.
  19. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

Tie Your Mother Down is probably my favorite Queen song.

BurtThomasWard likes this.
  20. budwhite

[​IMG]

Waylon Live. One of my favorite live records. Honky tonk rock n roll at it's best.

21. wlove2372

wlove2372 Forum Resident

the Expanded Edition is well worth your money. 41 cuts of awesome.

22. hyde park

hyde park Forum Resident

Been a while since I pulled these shows out.

Bought all 3 volumes while visiting Madison, WI - I was there to catch a solo Jeff Tweedy show in Nov. 2005 - the 'White Sox" show. The clerk said something like 'you must really like these guys'. Great sets of music. Really enjoy Marc Durant/Michael Formanek, Jim Black parts. Speed and Berne ain't no slouches, either.

[​IMG]

Dahabenzapple and adamos like this.
  23. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

great deal, indeed. I just got these four sent to me this past weekend. Been really diggin on this Binaural tour again.

[​IMG]

adamos and johnnypaddock like this.
  24. Jim Walker

Jim Walker Senior Member

25. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

Howlin' Wolf
    Memphis Days
    Definitive Edition vol. 1
    barcode: 4000127154606

BurtThomasWard, Rne, budwhite and 3 others like this.