The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Monroro

Monroro Forum Resident

That would be something. I'll meet you in the pouring rain.

2. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Actually for all I know Macca has been cranking out classics, I don't honestly know what he's done in the past 25 years for the most part....

warewolf95 likes this.
  3. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I saw Phil & Friends play "Chest Fever."

Crispy Rob and warewolf95 like this.
  4. bzfgt

I don't know whether this is more funny or more disturbing , although maybe that's too dramatic a word:

budwhite and warewolf95 like this.
  5. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Just sampled the FTW webcasts. The video direction is horrible.

6. bzfgt

It's like every rock video ever, then.

7. warewolf95

Finally! Some new adverbage for ny reviews! :)

Crispy Rob and bzfgt like this.
  8. warewolf95

Unfortunately. The last few Stones releases, nameky Havana Moon, are among the best uve ever seen in that regard.

Matthew Tate and bzfgt like this.
  9. bzfgt

Second division stuff for an expletive slinger of your stature, though...

warewolf95 likes this.
  10. trd

trd Forum Resident

A couple of years ago the inventor of the GIF said it is pronounced “jif” but either pronunciation is generally acceptable

Crispy Rob, BlueTrane and warewolf95 like this.
  11. trd

trd Forum Resident

My understanding is that the Viola Lee bustout in April 99 was Trey’s idea. There’s an interview somewhere that I think confirms this. He sent a list of songs to Phil that he thought might be good before rehearsals started and Viola Lee was one of them.

And every band with an original member has played it ever since

Crispy Rob, bzfgt and warewolf95 like this.
  12. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

There is a new SBD and a new AUD. The new aud was used to patch the SBD, and both sources were circulated yesterday.

13. wavethatflag

It's rare that a rock video or movie gets it right. I think it's because many of them are made by music non-fanatics. As such, they see a group of people standing on the stage and feel the need to create action or motion through tons of stupid cuts. That's always a mistake.

I'm not commenting on the FTW video, which I haven't seen.

14. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

I appreciate your note @bzfgt. I'm sure you didn't intend your comment to be unkind. I have been discussing music for decades on the internet and normally have a thick skin to everyday interactions, but one thing that became quite annoying to me over the years is when someone attempts to find fault in my rationale (or lack thereof) for liking something (or not liking something). Pet peeve I guess. I think we all have our own personal methodology behind what we like or don't like. Sure, it can be scientific, but it can also be something that we can't (or don't want to try to) explain.

Crispy Rob, DrLunchbox, bzfgt and 2 others like this.
  15. trd

trd Forum Resident

Dancing about architecture and all that :cheers:

Mansley and warewolf95 like this.
  16. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

Re: the FTW discussion, I thought this quote from Trey about Attics was interesting. Also does the sentence with "so we had five days for five shows" imply that they did in fact rehearse a bit as a group? Or do you think he's referring to some basic run-throughs, etc. on the day of each show?

https://www.jambase.com/article/new-guitar-world-issue-features-trey-anastasio-interview

"Here’s one that even Bobby [Weir] and Phil [Lesh] don’t know. The three of us sat down to discuss what to play and Phil said, ‘All I know is, I want to end with ‘Attics of My Life.’ I’m like, ‘Great, I’m crying already, but when are we gonna learn the harmonies?’ Because that song modulates and it’s a capella three-part harmony! I offered to write a chart and they were like, ‘That’s kind of geeky. We’ll figure it out.’ We sat down at a piano and it was cool but I knew everyone would forget his parts and lo and behold, we tried it again and nobody was taking Jerry’s melody.

These guys don’t rehearse much because they don’t really hang out, so we had five days for five shows and never got to ‘Attics.’ Phil said ‘We’ll sing it in soundcheck every day.’ Soundchecks came and went, and we still didn’t know it. So I called [Trey collaborator] Jeff [Tanski] and said, ‘I need an exact transcription of the album version.’ I didn’t even tell the guys. I just handed a copy to Bruce: ‘This is your part and this is my part. I’ll hit the highs and the other guys will fill in the notes.’ I was reading off the chart because I wanted someone to sing the melody!"

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    Billy_Sunday, warewolf95, trd and 4 others like this.
  17. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

As to, 5/28/77, I like parts of the show but I think the Sugaree is way overrated simply because it's a bit long. It could have used some editing. Nothing beats 5/22/77 for Sugaree. 5/19/77 is also better. Even probably 5/5/77. But again, this is all to my ears and my liking.

Mansley, NorCal, Matthew Tate and 6 others like this.
  18. warewolf95

On the Santa Clara webcasts at least, its sooo slow moving. Thats usually a plus, but not when ita a 30 second long distance zoom in from the vack of the stadium or a steady sgot of the drummers while Trey is soloing...oi!

bzfgt, budwhite and wavethatflag like this.
  19. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

there's lots of music I'd never listen to but that doesn't mean I have the right to tell anyone they should not like it. in this case I'm not big on post hiatus dead but that doesn't mean it has no merit.

bzfgt, Ezzie, US Blues and 1 other person like this.
  20. wavethatflag

In these things generally, the worst is when the camera is on something else during someone's solo. Like a Hendrix film where they just about solely focus on his face. Jeez! Show me his hands! I'm not even a player and I want to see what he's doing.

Crispy Rob, bzfgt, budwhite and 3 others like this.
  21. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

And that is always the bottom line when we discuss the GD.

22. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

Regarding post-haitus Dead, I have very little interest in it, but there have been a couple of moments that really grabbed me. One was hearing the Stephen on The Strange Remain. It was great hearing a band that sounded alive and kicking again. I had chills. But after the initial listen, I never went back to it. It was like hearing a cover band. The other moment was hearing the Viola Lee Blues from the April '99 Phil run for the first time. I still think those are some magical shows. But now, no, not for me.

trd, bzfgt, budwhite and 4 others like this.
  23. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

The Strange Remain is one of the few post-Jerry live releases that I find myself returning to more and more.

24. wavethatflag

Yeah, but that's because you're spoiled davmar, as you have revealed in these threads that you have seen many awesome shows during peak periods. I don't know how much time I'd have for post-Jerry stuff if I'd seen what you've seen. :D I'd have almost a whole different brain on these matters.

NorCal, Ezzie, budwhite and 3 others like this.
  25. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

Well, this particular poster actually ran into Weir at a Virginia shopping mall one day and told him no when asked if I was going to the show in town tomorrow. To be honest, I was pissed at him over the archive bungle :laugh: