Jimmy Page says previously unheard Led Zeppelin music will be released for band's 50th anniversary

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bartels76, Dec 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Forum Resident

IIRC, Keef has said that he never mainlined the drug - he only did skin popping. Maybe that was another difference between them...

2. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

Agreed. But then again, would it be so entirely surprising?

3. snipe

snipe Forum Resident

That is the most eloquent post I've ever read that uses the word "shart" twice.

4. AlexDelarge

AlexDelarge Forum Resident

I will gladly take HTWWW on vinyl done right with some bonus songs from the Long Beach shows....(I want new s*h*i*t*e too though:D)

Sean, ODShowtime, jdlaw and 2 others like this.
  5. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

Well, there is "Thank You" and "Communication Breakdown" from LA. "Tangerine" would sound as beautiful as the other acoustic songs, so I wouldn't mind hearing it.

Then there's the LA version of "Rock and Roll," which might be the best Robert ever sang it. But we know we're not getting LA and Long Beach complete, unless Jimmy's really loosened up in his old age.

In any case, I'd prefer some re-release of HTWWW to an expanded Knebworth.

superstar19 likes this.
  6. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

Can somebody Kindly explain why soundboards would be retrograde for a release? Are they in general mixed poorly?
    I apologize for being a novice...

7. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

The problem with soundboards is that they are often poorly balanced.
    For example, in the case of Led Zeppelin, Jimmy's Guitar is sometimes too low in the mix.
    One reason for this is that his amps were very loud on stage and didn't need to be in the PA mix as loud as say, the drums and vocals.
    This works fine in the concert hall, because (in an ideal situation) the sound is balanced and everything can be heard, but the actual soundboard recording will not represent the sound of the concert, only what was put through the PA system.
    Sometimes you do get a well balanced soundboard recording, but other times when an instrument is too low in the mix, this is most likely the reason.

8. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Typically, soundboards have limitations with the sound because they cannot be properly mixed, however, there are times when a soundboard has a nice balance of instrumentation and can be tastefully mastered. In the case of Led Zeppelin, JP likes the option of polishing performances by editing and creating hybrids with live material, and he cannot achieve the desired results with soundboards.

superstar19, DrBeatle and vudicus like this.
  9. PacificOceanBlue

Don't get me wrong, I would enjoy hearing an expanded HTWWW, but not in place of a new live set comprised exclusively with previously unreleased live tracks.

10. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

I don't see JP ever releasing an unedited Led Zeppelin concert, even though there's plenty of shows that don't need any editing.

11. DrBeatle

Which is exactly the reason we fans *WANT* the soundboards released. Warts and all, and no studio "magick."

12. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

A soundboard from Copenhagen 1971 would be heaven on earth

keef285, ODShowtime and DrBeatle like this.
  13. PacificOceanBlue

I am not blown away by the Zeppelin soundboards in general. There are a few that stand out, but in general, I think they are very uneven, brittle and sterile. For years, we heard the Earls Court boards from the 24th and 25th, and then when the six song segment was released on "DVD," the songs finally came alive in a way they never did on the soundboards. There are some good ones with a nice balance of instrumentation, but for this fan, most of the boards have limited appeal.

superstar19, DrBeatle and ODShowtime like this.
  14. BillyMacQ

BillyMacQ Forum Resident

It's important to keep in mind that when Jimmy says things like "previously unheard material" he's talking about the general public, not LZ obsessives like us.
    There are rumblings about the long awaited "chronological box set" of live recordings. Oh there are rumblings, are there?
    Some of the obvious candidates for inclusion have already been discussed here, ahem... - no need to rehash.

Love,
    Billy

superstar19 likes this.
  15. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

The later 73 and a ton of 75 soundboards have Robert painfully at times to high in the mix. They are also dry as hell. They'd at least need to add some kind of reverb to them to give them more ambience-which of course without the ability to remix you'd have some instruments with too much reverb or not enough.

16. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

+1

I'm still hoping for a holy grail show (a 1968 concert, Bath '70, Osaka '71, etc), or a live compilation box set. However, an upgraded How the West Was Won would be a very nice consolation prize.

The Ole' Rocker, Sean, JakeM and 3 others like this.
  17. DrBeatle

I meant more in terms of Jimmy not meddling with them.

18. DrBeatle

Damn, you lot are easy to please! For me, that would be the ultimate kick in the teeth after the "bonus" material we got with the remasters.

19. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

Sometimes the sterility (but not so much the instrumental imbalances) can be addressed by matrix'd shows, where they (fans) sync a dry/sterile soundboard source with a decent (or better) quality audience tape. Usually the result makes for at least a moderate improvement over each of the individual sources, and I've even heard a couple (not Zep - so far - though) that could be almost be mistaken for an official live album.

20. PacificOceanBlue

I hear you. Clearly JP went over the top with the original TSRTS edit, but a decent amount of material on the 1997 BBC Sessions set, particularly the 1971 performances, were left alone. Fast forward to DVD/HTWWW, he definitely manipulated a number of performances, but he also left quite a bit intact. The LA/Long Beach shows are not "perfect," but they are strong enough to stand alone without any meddling. That would be quite a box set to see those two monster concerts unedited and complete.

21. DrBeatle

Didn't he excise several minutes from the WLL medley on that one? I know he chopped out a fair amount of HMMT from the '69 BBC live concert on that set as well. It's why I've held on to my boots of those two shows.

22. DrBeatle

I've got several Who and Zeppelin matrixes that sound incredible...pristine sound like a SBD tape but also atmosphere and, for lack of better a term,
    "oomph" like an AUD tape.

23. PacificOceanBlue

Yes, he did. I had hoped he would release the complete 4/1/71 WLL medley as part of the Complete BBC Sessions release a couple of years ago -- the complete version is one of the best WLL medleys the band performed, as far as I am concerned. That said, all of the other tracks from the 4/1 Paris Theatre gig issued on the 1997 version of BBC Sessions are complete.

DrBeatle likes this.
  24. DrBeatle

I actually found the "Complete" BBC sessions release a but disappointing for that very reason. I'd hoped the '69 and '71 gigs would be complete, but all that set was was the same as the '97 with an extra disc of bonus tracks tacked on.

Isaac McHelicopter likes this.
  25. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

I'm not a big bootleg collector, so (so far) the best matrix I've heard that gets a lot of (almost universal) love among the hardcore collectors is a 1977 Genesis show - either Zurich or Sao Paolo IIRC. It gets a lot of praise as sounding just as good as the official live album from that tour. Though I wouldn't go THAT far, it does sound excellent.

Roberto899 and DrBeatle like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.