Julian Cope Album by Album by Single by EP by Pseudonym Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Summer of Malcontent, May 29, 2017.

1. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks for the information on Thekla, here's a proper entry for it:

[​IMG]
    THEKLA (2007)

Murder & Madness / White Van / Bad Sign / Like a Motherf**ker / Born Never Arsed / She Saw Me Coming / Get Off Your Pretty Face / Shaman UFO

Official bootleg of audience recording, released on CD-R.

citizensmurf likes this.
  2. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

And how odd that the forum censors the word mor-on??? I really don't get the sensibilities around here anymore.

oldturkey likes this.
  3. Summer of Malcontent

That title now looks 100 times worse to the 99.9% of readers who don't know the release!

oldturkey and citizensmurf like this.
  4. Summer of Malcontent

New, improved listing for the debut album!

**** ***** & **** (2001)

Side One: She Saw Me ***ing / Get Off Your P***** F*** / Pagan ****
    Side Two: Odin’s **** to His Mother: a) Theme from ‘***** Kills’; b) ******ic 4 a.m.; c) Consecrate the ****er; d) *untstabber’s Ball / L*ghn*s*d
    Side Three: U-****! / You Take the ****** / ****y Music
    Side F***: She’s Gotta ******

5. citizensmurf

LOL. Now it looks like a GG Allin cd in a Wal-Mart.

oldturkey and Runicen like this.
  6. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

I don't really hear Stooges in Brain Donor, but reading the tributes to Fast Eddie Clark today I was stuck by the similarities with this classic era Motörhead gig.
    See all the post-punk.new wave looking guys getting off on it? That's the way I feel with Brain Donor. Brain Donor is great fun, but if people don't like it...I just feel sorry for them! Your problem.
    I've got everything including Thekla (from HeadHeritage). I agree with Citizensmurf that Love, Peace and Fook is the best, and it is criminally cheap on double green vinyl, and also essential because of the extended 13 minute version of Hairy Music. Too Freud is fantastic too - I'm not really keen on White Van, but the rest is beautiful - especially Messages and Schizadelic KO.
    I didn't see BD live, but I was at the Citizen Cain'd and Dark Orgasm tours and had a real blast watching Doggen Foster in the make-up. He's so natural on guitar you sort of feel where he's going just as he's about to play it.

There is also Cope On The Rope, which is a Brain Donor gig from the 2003 Rome Wasn't Burned In A Day festival with Gavin Skinner on drums.
    Julian Cope - Cope On The Rope Hammersmith, 2003

And the unreleased track Stupormodel from the Radio Rome Wasn't Burned Vol 1 set.
    Radio Rome Wasn't Burned In A Day (Disc 1)

citizensmurf likes this.
  7. Summer of Malcontent

Oh, so the vinyl is different from the CD? Is that extended track the only difference (apart from the resequencing)?

Although that's actually Brain Donor, I'm recording it separately in the discography since its release was credited to Cope.

8. citizensmurf

That was actually a Julian Cope show, they just happened to use mostly BD songs on that semi-official cd. The full show contained many other Cope songs, as well as featuring Holy McGrail on synth, and Donald Ross Skinner on bass.

oldturkey likes this.
  9. moonweed

moonweed Member

Thanks for all the info, i'm going to revisit these albums pronto tonto

10. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

According to Discogs.com the CD version of Pagan Dawn is a minute longer than the vinyl and the promo single(which I don't have). I haven't noticed that, but I'll check it and get back to you.
    Thanks for the info - do you have a setlist?

11. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

I have just played my green vinyl Love, Peace & Feck, and I can say that categorically Pagan Dawn is the same length on both cd and lp, so the sleevenotes (6.50) on the album sleeve are wrong and so is Discogs.com. Both are the same 7.49 version. I have never heard the promo single version, so maybe that is a different and shorter edit and was originally intended for the LP - or maybe they are all the 7.49. I dunno.

Brain Donor - Pagan Dawn

Having played this again today I've got to say this LP is something else - I love Pagan Dawn, U-Know and Odin's Gift To His Mother, but the side-long track She's Gotta Have It is magnificent.
    Replayed the live cd from Too Freud today too. Atomic Punk is my favourite on there.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    citizensmurf likes this.
  12. citizensmurf

I'll have to dig around, I used to have all 3 Cope Rome shows on a hard drive (one warm-up gig and the 2 during the festival). Here's the only one I found online for the first show, which if memory serves me was close to the same for the other two shows. The Cope on the Rope cd runs too slow, so it's not that great a listen.

oldturkey likes this.
  13. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

I'm a bit fed up with re-releases. What we need is a boxed set of some of Julian's unreleased live gigs thru the ages. With all the between song banter though they'd have to be double CD packs. Hopefully this rumoured mega box will have some new archive material.

14. gohill

gohill Senior Member

Great
    Great review of a fine album and yes, The Great Dominions is still the jewel in the crown of Cope's enchanting wayward musical journey.

15. Rgfinch

Rgfinch King Rocky

yes , Wilder is magnificent..

16. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

A jewel, surely!
    Cope has made so many classics. I think it's his best Teardrops track though.

17. gohill

gohill Senior Member

Yes you are right. Almost all of 'World Shut Your Mouth and 'Fried' are jewels. Most of Peggy Suicide and Jehovahkill too. Great stuff right up through You Got A Problem With Me/Black Sheep. I haven't got anything since then. I think his dreadful book put me off for a while. Copendium, Head On and Repossessed are great but 131 is dismally bad although authentically bonkers Cope (you can really hear his voice narrating in your head it as you read it through). Makes Nick Cave's Bunny Munro look like a classic novel.

18. gohill

gohill Senior Member

Kolly Kibber's Birthday is a classic, right up there with The Great Dominions. Whole album is amazing. Love Kate St John's oboe/cor anglais contributions too.

oldturkey likes this.
  19. gohill

gohill Senior Member

I had a green vinyl of Love. Peace and f**k as well as well as a cd of Drain'd Boner. Quite liked them both for what they are, good whigged out fun. However traded them both in a while back due to space restrictions at home. Not essential by any means and as such they had to make way for other music. Think i have digital copies of both on one of my USB drives should i wish to revisit them. Have held onto Citizen Cain'd, Black Sheep and You Got A Problem With Me as i like them a lot. For now i tend to stick to his main albums and have had enough of the side projects, interesting as some are. Still have Rite on cd, but got rid of Queen Elizabeth in a clear out years back (can't even remember what it was like or if i liked it or not). Hve never heard Rite 2 but if it is even slightly veering into New Age territory and quartz crystal land i am not going near it!!

20. gohill

gohill Senior Member

I sold my copy of this years ago as i said above. Can't even remember what it is like. Sounds like i made the right decision.

21. citizensmurf

Well if a few crystals are stopping you from listening to a great album, its best to steer clear of most of Cope's projects. For the rest of us (okay, the three of us) it is precisely his sense of musical adventure that makes it all appealing. I have yet to outright hate anything he's done, and typically it is only after several listens that a cd starts revealing itself to me. Any doofus with a Strat can write catchy pop songs, but it takes someone special to record a 72 minute song that I'll put on repeat!

22. gohill

gohill Senior Member

Well i do like 'Rite' so maybe it could be worth a listen. Got plenty of Tangerine Dream, Neu, Faust, Amon Duul II, Can; as well as Hawkwind space rock and also Eno Ambient long form pieces, so that does not faze me. I have liked most all of Cope's wayward output over the years, bought a load of his albums, seen him 11 times. I don't like New Age music much though with big bland washes of synth. It is a fine line between transcendent ambient soundscapes and soporific new age pablum and as such a tricky one to navigate, especially if you are off your nut on hallucinogens, like the arch druid has been at (a lot of) times.:)

citizensmurf likes this.
  23. citizensmurf

Fair enough. I personally find great musiç in the darkest of corners previously thought to contain nothing, so I try to be open minded about any possibilities, but it truly comes down to taste. You can't like what you don't like.

24. Summer of Malcontent

All of the Rite albums are much more lively and eccentric than most new age music. I'd recommend them as perhaps the safest place to sample his more 'out there' non-song-based music.

25. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

The thing with Cope is that he covers so many bases that there is something for everyone, so we all prefer different phases of his career.
    If I was going to keep any of the albums you mention there it would be LP&F. I much prefer it to anything after. I think it's a real career highlight, and although you sort of dismiss it as a throwaway (and you're totally entitled to feel that way) I can't get my head round that. I'm still struggling to understand why copies of it are so cheap to buy. I must be totally missing what's wrong with Brain Donor - I just don't get it.
    LP&F is a riot from start to finish - it has more life than virtually anything he ever released after the World Shut You Mouth album.
    For me it's just a beautiful classic double.

citizensmurf likes this.