Bowie LET’S DANCE Deluxe Edition

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bowie Fett, Dec 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

I know I'm in the minority but I think Bowie and Nile got it just right the second time with Black Tie. Title track aside, I love that album.

2. leoconsole

leoconsole Forum Resident

3. pottsbotts

pottsbotts New Member

You mean you don't like Crankin' out the white boys?

4. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident

Doesn't really fit stylistically with the others though. I'd put it in the next set.

NightGoatToCairo likes this.
  5. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident

I just assumed the reissue would be CD, vinyl, etc...And once they sell everyone that, are they going to try to sell a box set with it and 2 other albums that are already a hard sell?

6. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

Well don't forget that the box would also include the Glass Spider live album (I dont think previously released on vinyl), likely the first ever release of a "Serious Moonlight" live album, likely the first ever release of the 'Dance' remix album, likely a modern (de-80s-ified) remix of the NLMD album (every box so far has had a remixed album, and one song from that album has already been released in modern remixed form during Bowie's lifetime), plus the ReCall disc(s), and perhaps even some (or perhaps even all) of his 80s soundtrack work (Labyrinth/Absolute Beginners etc).

Does it still sound like as much of a hard sell?

Plus as far as a Let's Dance deluxe edition goes (if that's what we're getting) I'd imagine it will be CD only, with the bonus CD contents released as a standalone one or two record set for Record Store Day, and the Let's Dance vinyl album itself saved for the 80s boxset.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  7. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Unlike most Bowie albums, NLMD needs a teardown and remix. There's probably an albums' worth of demos, too. (And wasn't a "vinyl mix" released on CD?) And home video. "Let's Dance" will get a solo box because market, but I'd like to see NLMD get some rehab love.

8. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

It'd certainly be interesting. There's some good material buried in there.

Tokyo Ghost and BlueSpeedway like this.
  9. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

I concur, but BTWN was my first Bowie album bought, then I went backwards to get his older albums(first buying 'Station to Station', which remains my favorite Bowie album to this day-actually got complimented by the Clerk at the CD Store when I bought it as a good choice, which only happened one other time when I bought 'Pretty Hate Machine'-NIN), and bought every new release after(might have been 1-2 years later on getting 'Buddha of Suburbia'). My first Bowie purchases were the Singles-2 CD Set and Sound & Vision Box set though.

Adam Bosman likes this.
  10. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Thanks for the link.
    I like the Demo Version with Nile's Chic Guitar Sound and going to buy the Download. Also, hope it will be in the next Box Set(maybe on the Recall CD/Vinyl) that I assume will come out next Fall.

11. Remy

Remy Forum Resident

I’m with you. Its one of my favorite Bowie albums. A much less commercial version of the Lets Dance album, which i always view as a singkes album.

Max Florian likes this.
  12. Ken.e.

Ken.e. Spinning music since...

I never listen to Let's Dance any more. I think I heard it too much back in the day when it was first released. I bought a few 12" singles and the 45 of Let's Dance. Likely played it too much, heard it on the radio all the time and the videos were in solid rotation.
    Modern Love, I thought was a great Pop song that I think sounds great everytime I hear it. China Girl was fantastic too. Great to see Bowie rerecord for himself with great production and it become the hit it always should have been.
    It would be nice to see an expanded version get released in the near future. You can take my pre-order right now. I would be very surprised if we did get one. More than likely we'll will just see the 4th box released at the end of the year. It would be great if the Box contained the demos from that period. Unfortunately that's not what we've seen in the past three boxes. Perhaps the unreleased dance album and some unreleased live albums might see the light of day in the box.
    Mind you Bowie releases on Record Store Day seem to happen a lot lately. Last year we had two with the rather Bland hunky dory release and the triple live album. Perhaps were just being warmed up for the Let's Dance demo LP to be released on Record Store Day in April. Not a bad thing if that does happen as long as there is enough copies for all of the fans.

13. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

The whole album is like having your tooth filled imo, and I don't feel that way about any other Bowie album except Club Bowie.

14. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

Yes, the next box will need 3 versions of Never Let Me Down - the original CD mix (including "Too Dizzy" which was deleted from the album years later), the original vinyl mix (which has different song lengths), and an unmixed/re-drummed 2018 mix (with whatever song lengths seem best). There are plenty of cover photo outtakes to make each of the three albums look distinct.

And as with the multiple versions of Stage, no one will really know if they're being rewarded for being hard-core fans, or being hosed.

I happen to like (like, not love) NLMD, so I'll think of it as a good thing.

If they include a Glass Spider live album I will never listen to it unless they delete the stupid dialogue ("we cant have rock stars breeding with normal people"..."Wrong stuff! Wrong stuff!").

Solace likes this.
  15. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

That was Zammo... "Just Say No!"

oldturkey likes this.
  16. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Yes, they must have felt like homo superiors 'singing' that, dressed like that, on that spider stage in front of so many people in a live Bowie show that did make it onto dvd. I'm sure all involved have this in bold letters on their resume or bio.

"I'm okay, you're so-so" :biglaugh:

Cat People, oldturkey and pottsbotts like this.
  17. pottsbotts

pottsbotts New Member

Jeeeeeeez, it's even more cringeworthy embarrassing than I'd remembered :unhunh:

18. Good grief! What was he thinking???

oldturkey likes this.
  19. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

Hackneyed and embarrassing it may be, but apart from a bit of late 80s OTT I don't see that clip as anything different from what normally sane people pay top dollar to see in West End/Broadway shows every weekend and rave about these days. I expect Lazarus was just as mortifyingly distressing.

He probably wanted to replicate the success of the Serious Moonlight Tour - "give the people what they want", but by the end of the 1980s the people had eaten everything they wanted and more.
    So they vomited.

Hence Sonic Youth in workwear, Nirvana/Grunge. and Tin Machine hid 1980s Bowie away in the dark cupboard under the stairs.

20. Chris Bernhardt

Chris Bernhardt Forum Resident

I remember going to this show as a teenager and thinking wtf. The best was when it was just Bowie and the band. I love Bowie but I saw him live four times, and he was only good once.

21. pottsbotts

pottsbotts New Member

George Michael said something similarly scathing about Serious Moonlight actually. Also his first Bowie show. I'll have to dig out the tape.

oldturkey likes this.
  22. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

I think I've read it on one of your articles. He knew his Bowie.

23. pottsbotts

pottsbotts New Member

Actually the segment's not been published yet o_O But this year seems most appropriate to put it out there.

oldturkey likes this.
  24. Dr-Winston

Dr-Winston Forum Resident

Not so Nile did not need Bowie’s help to reach legendary status. Bowie bought in his disco chops and was happy to let Nile sit in the driving seat for a while and was subsequently extremely complimentary and appreciative of the contribution.

The idea that Nile used the collaboration to catapult himself to fame is preposterous. We would still be talking about Nile Rodgers contribution to 20th Century popular music as an art form had the Let’s Dance album never happened.

I’m very much looking forward to a Deluxe Version of this album. I’m a fan of most of the interesting collaborations that Nile Rodgers embarked on the early eighties.

25. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

I know what I'm thinking. I'm thinking that the setlists for the tour regularly included "Bang Bang", "China Girl", "Young Americans", "Time", "Big Brother", "All the Madmen", "Never Let Me Down", "Blue Jean", "Jean Genie", "Sons of the Silent Age", "Beat of Your Drum" and I'm thinking it's pretty easy to find both the ridiculous and the spectacular on that tour:

Almost 30 years after I bought the VHS, and that bit at 1:24 - both the lights out and Bowie's comeback - slay me EVERY TIME.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    oldturkey, Cat People and Adam Bosman like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.