Questions on Dark Side of the Moon Immersion Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by OpethPA, Nov 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OpethPA

OpethPA Embracing my inner geek Thread Starter

Hi All,

I tried to do some searching here or on the web in general but couldnt quite find the answer Im looking for..

1. From what I have been reading the quad mix of DSOTM , part of the immerision set, is a great way to hear this. It's not possible to just buy that version someplace is it without buying the whole immersion set?

2. Im currently just using my XBOX-1 connected to my receiver via HDMI though since this is going to be my first attempt to get into multichannel music i realize i might have to invest in a better player. AM i right in that assumption that to best enjoy multichannel ?

2. LEONPROFF

LEONPROFF Forum Resident

No it's not available outside of the box. Some people have sold it seperate from the box.

Most likely yes.

3. Tornado Red

Tornado Red Forum Resident

Just a quick note on the blu ray part of DSOTM Immersion, many people over at the QQ forum have recently started to report the blu ray will not play (suddenly) in certain players. Some have reported it will not play in any player they try, others have said it will play only in certain players. Not sure what the issue is, one would think it'd be too early to see any sort of 'disc rot', but who knows. Tried mine this morning (I was an early buyer of the set) and it worked fine in both an old Sony 350 and Oppo 103. The disc does come in a cardboard sleeve, you wouldn't think there would be a physical issue between the surfaces, but I've put mine in one of those rice paper type cd sleeves just in case. BTW, the 5.1 and quad mixes are available on Disc 3 (DVD-1) as well in the box set, for what it's worth. Not trying to scare anyone away from purchasing the blu ray if you find it being sold separately, but maybe try it first if possible so you won't get burnt. :righton:

4. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

The 2003 SACD of Dark Side has the 5.1 mix on it but not the vintage quad. Outside of buying the original quad album on vinyl, the only place to hear the quad mix is on DVD & BluRay in the Immersion set. Both mixes are fantastic and are well worth your time.

Yes, connecting your XB1 via HDMI will get you the result you're after. Be sure to set the audio option on your XB1 to HDMI Out and Bitstream Out Configure Audio Settings Xbox One | Xbox One Home Cinema Audio »

Can't remember if DSOTM on BluRay is DTS-HD Master Audio or uncompressed 5.1 PCM. Either way, if you console is set to Bitstream it will pass the DTS-HD MA & Dolby TrueHD bitstream to your receiver for it to decode and if the disc is uncompressed PCM, it will pass the 5.1 PCM channels to your receiver for amplification.

A word of warning though! You WILL wind up wanting Wish You Were Here Immersion for 5.1 & quad WYWH.

5. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Seeing your post prompted me to play the DSOTM Blu-ray from the Immersion set. I'm playing the quad mix as I type and it's playing fine about 18 minutes in. I compared the DSOTM and the WYWH Blu-rays and noticed an odd difference between the two discs. Looking at the playback side of the DSOTM disc at an angle it has a weird "pattern" almost a "psychedelic" look to it. The WYWH disc doesn't have this effect when viewed at all angles and is just the normal silver color without the effect the DSOTM disc has. I wonder if this is part of the issue some are finding with the DSOTM Blu-ray?

6. Tornado Red

Nice catch Bill, just checked mine, hope the photo looks alright. DSOTM is on top, WYWH underneath in the pic. You can definitely see a type of 'moire' pattern on the DSOTM blu ray which is not on WYWH. I pulled a couple other blu rays (Rattle That Lock and Electronic Opus) and neither had the pattern. Whether this has anything to do with the issues reported is another question, but it is interesting...

[​IMG]

coffeetime and Bill Mac like this.
  7. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Bill,

That's it! The word "moiré" would be the best term to describe it. Thanks for posting the pictures :)!

8. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

wow ! that's not good to hear at all .......... i remember when the set came out a lot of people had problems with very scratched discs & such , but this is the 1st i heard of the Blu-rays going south .
    I have seen blu-rays that were movies that had that weird swirly look to them that always played fine here ........ that's going to be a real drag if a few years down the road none of these play :(

Tornado Red likes this.
  9. Tornado Red

Mmm yes, I remember that too, now that you mention it. Some of the discs had come out of the cardboard sleeves and were rolling around the box set. Never ceases to amaze me how many companies scrimp on the packaging on expensive box sets.:rolleyes:

Bill Mac and Davidmk5 like this.
  10. Charles Cooper

Charles Cooper Well-Known Member

Mine has also commited suicide, as have those of several other people over in the early years box thread... Any idea on who can be contacted about replacements (unlikely as that's going to be, I know)?

11. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Could you be more specific. Blu-ray? Won't play at all? Skips?

12. Tornado Red

Keyser Soze, Bill Mac and Shawn like this.
  13. gary191265

gary191265 Forum Resident

Pardon's quad mix of DSotM was 'available' for years, in pretty much exactly the same format as it finally appeared on the Immersion set. I've had it for almost as long as I've had a surround set up (14/15 years).

There are even interviews with him from around the time it was 'released'.

14. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

True but it's nice to have it in an "official" release.

15. gary191265

gary191265 Forum Resident

I was just helping the OP in his quest. As it isn't available elsewhere but was more of less tolerated by PF prior to the Immersion release. I certainly didn't ever hear of any takedown requests and it was VERY widely available, with no big secret being made of it's existence.

16. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

What audio is used for the concert screen films? Is it brand new audio from live performances?

17. Lanchero

Lanchero New Member

Hi
    I had the problem Of the quad mix Of tdsotm and also the atom heart mother 4.0 (the early years bluray) . I used the sony bdps780 .
    Only with the quad mix of ahm in the deviation boxset, my onkyo receiver couldnt codified it. I tried everything unsuccesfully

My Solution:
    I played both bluray in the PS3 succesfully. 4.0 in all its glory
    So, my conclusion, is that the problem is in the software Of the bluray players

Best regards

18. Brian9229

Brian9229 Rushman

So both my WYWH and DSOTM quad mixes will NOT play through my OPPO 203. The 5.1 mixes play fine, but no quad. WTF!!!!?!! This is odd.

19. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

If you supply some details (player, amp, settings, connections) maybe we can walk through it with you . :)

Brian9229 and Tornado Red like this.
  20. Tornado Red

Assume you had the discs prior to getting the 203, may I ask what player and if anything changed when you got the 203, such as a different pre, avr, cabling change, etc?

Brian9229 likes this.
  21. Brian9229

Brian9229 Rushman

The only change was from my old Panasonic BDT500 to the oppo. The discs played on the Panasonic. Actually, a weird thing about when it played on the panny, was it a showed a center channel in the 4.0 signal, though it was mute. It was definitely the quad mixes playing out. I thought it weird, but it sounded perfect so I paid it no mind. Everything now is showing 4.0, the receiver and the oppo, but no back left or right. Oppo CS had me get info from the player via holding down the info button, to reveal what's going thru the HDMI and it's reading pcm 4.0 96k. Waiting to hear back now.

22. Brian9229

Brian9229 Rushman

Thank you kindly, it may come to that if oppo CS can't help. I'm at a total loss.

23. nedwho

nedwho Forum Resident

Just wondered if you (or anyone) ever found an answer to this issue? I have the same problem for DSOTM and WYWH: my oppo + onyko tell me I’m listening to the quad mix, but my ears tell me I’m only hearing things from the front speakers. The 5.1 mixes play fine. Also, the quad mixes play fine on the DVDs, just not the BluRay. Very odd!

24. Brian9229

Brian9229 Rushman

I never found a solution, but my discs decided to work anyway just recently. Popped em in, and wow, ok they work. Maybe the last oppo update did something, not sure, but they sound great.

nedwho likes this.
  25. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

Are the 1973 2.0 and 4.0 Mixes of DSOTM on the Blu-ray in the immersion box confirmed to be flat transfers or have they been remastered?

Last edited: Dec 22, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.