Matt Monro - The George Martin Years CD (& appreciation thread) *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by vzok, Aug 6, 2016.

1. voles

voles Forum Lurker

It's not the Two fer. This is the Link.

It doesn't have 'Lo Que Quedo' on it as it turns out.

2. RMoore

RMoore Forum Resident

One word - pirate! Completely unauthorised. I think im going to have to look around andreport a lot of these things to Warner and Universal. Matts estate gets very little in royalties these days and these things don't help!

3. Just received my copy of 'Singers' Singer Special Reserve' with the Sessionography.

The challenge now is to complete my collection with the best possible sounding - legal - editions available.

Already looking forward to it.

Best Wishes,
    David

4. voles

voles Forum Lurker

The Spanish version of Wednesday's Child is labelled as 'Ven Mi Amour' on Singles and in the Sessionography as 'Non Del Miercoles'. The latter is correct isn't it? Ven Mi Amor means 'Come my Love.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  5. voles

voles Forum Lurker

Fair enough! I suppose the fact that there are Pirate and PD issues out there should alert those companies to the fact that Matt Monro's popularity continues and that they should take advantage of it.

6. voles

voles Forum Lurker

It's Fun but its Tricky! Partly because the sessionography was completed somewhere between The Greatest and The Complete Singles. Therefore there are a lot of entries which are shown as Unissued which now have been released, mostly on Matt Uncovered. Also there is sadly a lot of later stuff which is no longer available...legitimately

7. Fortunately, I have both 'Matt Uncovered' and 'The Complete Singles', both of which are tremendous releases but yes, part of the fun will be in tracking everything down.

Best Wishes,
    David

8. voles

voles Forum Lurker

If only that was All you needed. I am at loss trying to find 'I'll never fall in love again' in Spanish at the moment. Apparently it was released on an Argentinian Album called Todos Habana which seems to translate as All Havana(?). There are so many songs in that language though I believe he was not a Spanish speaker himself. He must have been tremendous in Spanish speaking countries to have gone to all this effort.

9. RMoore

RMoore Forum Resident

Hmm. It's a while ago since Singles so i can't remember where that title came from. Possibly from an actual single or album. I'll see if i can find out. There must have been a reason it got that title!

10. RMoore

RMoore Forum Resident

That album includes a couple of (up to that point) unreleased Spanish tracks all of which appear to come from Acetates. That one isn't a pirate or bootleg it comes from EMI Argentina

11. voles

voles Forum Lurker

According to the Sessionography, on 22nd June 1970, 'We're Gonna Change The World' was edited and overdubbed for the single version but it appears to be the same length as the track on The Singer's Singer & The Greatest. Are they all the 'unaltered version'?

12. voles

voles Forum Lurker

But still unavailable as far as I can see...

Am I right in thinking the albums 'We're gonna change the world' and 'Close to you' have not been released on CD?

I know a lot of the best tracks have been released individually, but I seem to be hitting a brick wall now :)

13. Richard - please excuse me if this is a stupid question.

Is there any surefire way of knowing whether releases are PD or Pirate or officially licensed (but on some relatively unknown label)?

Do officially licensed albums have to contain any particular wording on their labelling?

Best Wishes,
    David

14. Great Music Lover

Great Music Lover Well-Known Member

My Singles Collection I ordered 10 days ago has got lost in the post which is really annoying.

15. RMoore

RMoore Forum Resident

Edited for the US single release. Needless overdubs and edited so that the narrative is lost. Matt hated it. It was done in secret on the other side of town whilst Matt was recording Close To You and Why Can't I touch You. Matt hit the roof when he heard it and it was for this reason he did not renew his contract with Capitol but came back to EMI. The single was later re-issued with the correct UK version. As far as Matt was concerned it was not an official single and for this reason we did not include it. I have bought two copies on vinyl singles for the archives and so can concur with Matt. The original recording is so perfect they shouldn't have messed with it!

16. RMoore

RMoore Forum Resident

Oh no! It's getting harder to find these days too!

17. RMoore

RMoore Forum Resident

If it's not on Parlophone/Warner/EMI/Capitol/Decca/Mint Audio/Night Owl/MFP (or other EMI subsidiary) and for downloads One Media or Odeon then it's probably not legit. The only companies that come to mind that have licensed whole CD's of Matt's material are Disky and Readers Digest. Officially licensed material will always credit the original copyright owner. Rule of thumb for downloads. If it includes EMI/Capitol material dating from after 1962, then it is an illegal release.

vzok, voles and adriatikfan like this.
  18. Thanks Richard - that is a big help.

Best Wishes,
    David

19. RMoore

RMoore Forum Resident

No, they are essentially the same album, with fewer tracks on Close to you - missing out the incredible Hava Nagila - and adding the lamentable "Why Can't I Touch You"

I have decided, one I have another project out the way (which is taking far too long!) I'm definitely going to look into putting together a "Complete" Box set and see if it's totally silly money. I suppose Bear Family had to start somewhere and as they are going in a different direction, it might be worth a look.

vzok and voles like this.
  20. voles

voles Forum Lurker

Here's hoping then!

Got all the tracks of We're Gonna Change The World anyway. 'Close to you' seems to be only obtainable on Bacharach collections and the Soundtrack to 'From Paris with Love'. Apparently 'Why Can't I Touch, You?' is worth forgetting anyway... (of course that makes me want to hear it more but maybe that's just me)

The more I work through the Sessionography, the more I appreciate your achievement in putting it together, let alone creating the very comprehensive Rarities Collection etc. to fill in the gaps in our collections.
    We are very lucky to have you, Richard!

RMoore and adriatikfan like this.
  21. Great Music Lover

Indeed. Even the Post Office cannot find it. :) :(

RMoore likes this.
  22. Great Music Lover

Interesting. Is the correct single version available on CD anywhere.

23. vzok

vzok Forum Resident Thread Starter

[​IMG]

RMoore likes this.
  24. vzok

The album is called "Todos Hablan" which translates as "Everybody's Talking". His Spanish albums were massive sellers.

[​IMG]

I got the track "Jamás Volveré A Enamorarme (I'll Never Fall In Love Again)" as a download ages ago, but I tagged it as being from the album "Canta En Espanol".

25. vzok

I have to say I really don't mind "Why Can't I Touch You".