Paul McCartney Archive Collection - 'Forthcoming Releases' [TBC]

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Thrillington, Mar 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

That's just cool.

Hep Alien likes this.
  2. RAJ717

RAJ717 Forum Resident

My fear is that since 'Wild Life' is such a sloppy mess from a performance and production standpoint that Paul may find it hard to justify creating an Archive Collection for it.

3. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

How do I like this post 6,600 times?

Granted, that's just an approximation, but it's based on typing "bip bop" in the search criteria (music corner only) and ordering search results by "most recent". That generates the maximum number of results possible (25 posts/page x 24 pages = 600 results). The oldest result is approximately one year ago (Feb 6 2017). I've been on this board for approximately 11 years so ... 600*11=6,600. That actually seems a little lower than what I'd guess, but yeah, it's a little over the "fourth" repeat.

Perhaps a dedicated "bip bop" joke thread is in order?

Paul H, anthontherun and Mr. Explorer like this.
  4. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

It’s the bloody Wings “Bip Bop” - shut up!

5. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Bloody wings... Yuck... ;)

6. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

That's exactly why I think it needs to have some sort of in depth University/Europe live show and tour review included. It still has the potential to be one of the best additions to the Archive collection if they do it right.

7. Arnold Grove

That's the key: "if they do it right".

I love these Archive sets, but MPL is prone to various illogical or badly thought out decisions. Based on their past history, we'll just get a few live tracks as bonus cuts. But to do it right, they need to release the full set list.

8. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

And please don't clean up any "mistakes" which gives Wild Life its charm.

Especially now that we have audio software with pitch correction, rhythm correction, & correction correction.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    JDeanB, Hep Alien and Mr. Explorer like this.
  9. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

I wish they would do stand alone releases. The Europe/UN beauty tour, and he '79 Glasgow concert. Heck...even "One Hand clapping should have been a stand alone release, rather than the piece-mealing they've been doing.

warewolf95, JDeanB, Hep Alien and 3 others like this.
  10. Arnold Grove

Let's hope...

warewolf95 and Hep Alien like this.
  11. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Honestly, how about a Wings blowout? Give us all 4 at once. Celebrate the time of Wings with a great, fun package. Heck, maybe Capitol will do something different, like reissue all 4 albums in a box set with unreleased songs, b-sides, and other goodies. A "Wings Fun Set." I'd love that.

12. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I actually think it would be the easiest of the remaining Wings albums to do an Archive set for. The birth of Wings, Paul exploring music with a new BAND, live songs in the studio, fun release party, university shows...

Hep Alien and Mr. Explorer like this.
  13. RAJ717

RAJ717 Forum Resident

One man's "charm" is another man's "sloppiness". However, I do agree that if they pad the release with a disc of live 1972 material, it will put that album in its' proper perspective. Paint 'Wild Life' as a recording showing the infancy stages of a band learning, jamming, and rehearsing...then augment it with live tracks from their first year of touring showing how quickly they became a tight band. Hopefully Paul won't miss out on a golden opportunity to put a little shine on an album in need of some polishing. It would give it more cred than ever if put in that perspective.

Monasmee and Mr. Explorer like this.
  14. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

Maybe I should have said Wild Life's "sloppy charm." ;)

RAJ717 and Hep Alien like this.
  15. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Yeah, but some hippy dude came up to him once on a ski-ing holiday and said "Hey man, love WildLife, great album!" So... why not?

RAJ717, Mr. Explorer and Hep Alien like this.
  16. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

This is why I like Let It Be better than Let It Be... Naked.

Cutting out all the chatter and shambling endings takes away from the loose and "fun" feel of it.

Let WildLife be what it is, and don't "clean up" what it was.

17. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I edited the original Let It Be to remove all that nonsense and made it closer to ...Naked but with all the original mixes.

Mark Wilson likes this.
  18. Frank

Frank Senior Member

I ran audio correction software on Wild Life and the output was Back To the Egg! :shtiphat:

19. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

To each, his own. :righton:

aoxomoxoa likes this.
  20. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

That's odd, I ran audio correction on Back To the Egg and got Sgt. Pepper's chicken cluck! ;)

21. RAJ717

RAJ717 Forum Resident

I actually like the 1970 'Let It Be' album better as well, but for the opposite reason. I like how Phil Spector took the time to clean up the horrible Glynn Johns mix from 1969 by using better takes, dumping the haphazard jams (Rocker, Save The Last Dance), and even adding elements (like the orchestra to hide John Lennon's sloppy bass playing on "The Long And Winding Road") to create a more polished product. The raw, Johns mix is nothing more than a depressing, uninspired jam recording in my opinion.

aoxomoxoa likes this.
  22. Arnold Grove

That dude was ME!!!

;)

23. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Yes, I think we agree that the released Let It Be is a happy medium between the sterile LIBN and the Glyn Johns version. I guess there is such a thing as "too much charm". :agree:

Mr. Explorer and RAJ717 like this.
  24. supermd

supermd Senior Member

...Naked got the better performance of "The Long and Winding Road." I have no clue why they used what they used in 1970. A chance for Spector to shine?

25. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

Agreed some of Wings' 1972 live material should included which would be such a welcome.

Indeed there is so much Paul can do with this....

Hep Alien and Mr. Explorer like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.