The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

I'd be curious to hear your detailed comparison if you care to share.

Spadeygrove likes this.
  2. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

I was last there in 1983 for a Dead show at the Broome County Arena (a very psychedelic show). The most important thing about that town, from our perspective, is that it is the home of the McIntosh factory. Stacks of MC2300's should grace the cover, maybe a helicopter trying to lift off with a load of amps in the back, struggling to make it's way back to Watkin's Glen.

3. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Picking up in Passaic this morning.

Awful weather and a migraine from yesterdays insanity.

But i picked up from wjere i left off the other day on 11 11 73 with Weather Report Suite. How appropriate eh?

Made it through that sick Dark Star and Eyes and China Doll is the current stopping point.

bmoregnr, Crispy Rob, bzfgt and 2 others like this.
  4. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

I went to school there too (undergrad). It used to trip us out thinking about them playing that room! :)

5. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

The new transfer offers an incremental sound quality improvement, small but real. But... it is missing part of the intro to the electric set, And We Bid You Goodnight should have been mono from the right channel only (easily fixed, but why not do it), and I still think that using the AUD for the last part of Caution (after the reel flip) and the first half or so of Feedback makes a better listening experience (although the AUD is more than a whole semi-tone fast and should be slowed down appropriately). And 24/96 is silly; the signal falls well below the noise level at about 15 kHz.

6. dgwint

dgwint Forum Resident

Thanks for the details RB. As you may recall I spent a lot of time tinkering with the last round of upgrades that circulated in 2016. I d/l'd this last night and will definitely give it a listen over the weekend.

budwhite and ianuaditis like this.
  7. Monroro

Monroro Forum Resident

I'm not a big solo McCartney fan, I was just cryptically pointing out that Garcia covered him with the GD in 1991.

warewolf95 and bzfgt like this.
  8. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

Listening to the acoustic set from 08/05/70, via the Deadpod Christmas episode. It's not a terribly kind mix, the guitars and mandolin are up front and everything else, vocals included, gets kinda washed out in the back. But it's a fun set, with a nice gospel run. I particularly like the "Mama Tried", "To Lay Me Down" and "Dire Wolf" run. David Nelson and Marmaduke both make their presence felt.

Might have to see if there's a better source out there for this one.

notesofachord, budwhite and adamos like this.
  9. Jim Walker

Jim Walker Senior Member

10. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Listening to 11/6/77 on the way into work this morning, my cassette SBD. One of my favorite Truckin versions, with GREAT Garcia solo. Almost like he is dueling with himself. Love the November '77 Truckins. Seneca is another favorite. Latvala was right about Spring 77 vs Fall 77.

11. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

What was Latvala’s position on the issue?

12. Jackstraw78

Jackstraw78 Forum Resident

13. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

More of an argument relative to 5/8/77 than a direct quote regarding Spring vs Fall here.

14. hoggydoggy

hoggydoggy Forum Resident

Let's not forget that the MASTER REEL versions of Casey Jones through I Know You Rider circulate on shnid 97364, so there's a generation lost on this new seed.

My favourite version of this show is still SirMick's remaster of the old shnid seed 1190 for the sterling work he did on making the level changes palatable, though there's still no very "best" version out there, that combines the best pits of the various versions out there.

15. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

16. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Yes, for some reason Warners deleted the first Garcia album and Ace fairly soon after release. I think in the 80's there were hard-to-find reissues on the Relix label so maybe the Dead claimed rights to them.

ianuaditis and Crispy Rob like this.
  17. warewolf95

Soaking wet and yearning for home, i sit in Pottstown PA awaiting truck repairs (long story for when im back ob laptop. Remind me. Its worth it.)

But at least i finished my run through the Winterland 73 Box.

It was like Shoreline 90. All 3 shows were excellent but you cabt really rank them. It really comes down to preference.

For me:

11 9 73
    Best setlist. Overall my favorite.

11 10 73
    Unbelievable 2nd set for the ages.

11 11 73
    Kinda a killer repeat of 11 10.

:)

So ive begun 11 14 73 from the porch crusher. Ive only heard it once before and i thought the first 2/3 untilbthe "meat" was jist ok and dragged.

Not thinking that at all this time. Only up to song 7 or so.

:)

US Blues, Crispy Rob, adamos and 3 others like this.
  18. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

A very nice Winterland Sugaree. 77-12-29

19. warewolf95

Nevermind.

20180112 135840

At a pickup spot in NJ today this guy had a shrine to Jerry on his work bench with pictures of hos guitars and some concert pics alongside the Jerry photos.

I couldn't stop to get a better pic. I was running with a bucket full of water to get it to our radiator (busted hose).

20. warewolf95

I remember a few years ago i listened ti that run straight through. I kept going "ANOTHER PERFECT SHOW?!"

US Blues, budwhite and Dahabenzapple like this.
  21. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Great overall show found on Dick's 10. The wolf sounds amazing on this set.

US Blues, Crispy Rob and warewolf95 like this.
  22. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

Like the Stones' Blues tongue and the Newest Jimi this cover looks designed for easy ID'ing for an app on tiny black mirrors.
    Fuzzy hair? Check!
    Bushy beard? Check!
    Both surrounding black aviators?
    Must Be Jerry!

US Blues, ianuaditis and Crispy Rob like this.
  23. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

Well, just under 6, but I did earn a PhD.

24. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Indeed.

I just listened to Jack Straw* from Eugene, OR one month later. Again. The Wolf is hungry. Fantastic version. Very intense. Band is on the edge!

*Dave's Pick ..something..1978

bzfgt, US Blues, ianuaditis and 2 others like this.
  25. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

[​IMG]

5/17/77 Tuscaloosa, AL is on tap tonight. Let the long weekend begin!