Bowie LET’S DANCE Deluxe Edition

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bowie Fett, Dec 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

1. That's even worse! Jeez, the sound, the clothes, the hair, the terrible, terrible hair!

2. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

:confused:

The poster you responded to was referring to SRV's "lead (guitar) work" catapulting him to later fame, so what's with the Nile Rodgers rant?

As for the original SRV point - he wasn't catapulted to fame from playing on the Let's Dance album. SRV rose to fame on his own from a lot of time, effort and hard work. The hilarious music video for 'Cold Shot' from his second album which as I remember got pretty heavy rotation certainly gained him wider exposure. I'd imagine if SRV was in the Let's Dance video, rather than Bowie miming the guitar solo (while wearing gloves IIRC), that may have helped boost his profile ("Wow - who's THIS guy?"). But as I remember its not like SRV's contribution to the album was hyped at the time, so I don't see how he got that much traction from it.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    Rooster_Ties likes this.
  3. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

Don't like some of the lyrics or Al B. Sure's vocal

Cat People likes this.
  4. NightGoatToCairo

Tin Machine for me :cool:

Rooster_Ties likes this.
  5. NightGoatToCairo

Will you post a link or two hundred when it's ready :p

footprintsinthesand likes this.
  6. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident Thread Starter

7. Audjack

Audjack Forum Resident

i will stick to my original bowie lp's...too easy for companies to press a digital file onto a vinyl record...

willied likes this.
  8. nick jones

nick jones Forum Resident

The good ones will be released this year

9. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Cracked Actor — Live in Los Angeles ’74, released last summer, has sold 11,706 copies to date — an impressive tally for a live album.
    Oh, man. I hope that's the UK-only number.

Of course, greatest hits packages have been the strongest performers since the death of Bowie. The November 2016 release Legacy sold 138,160 last year, while total sales are approaching 250,000
    So many questions answered with this here. I guess it's settled, then. "Cracked Actor" isn't keeping anybody's lights on, but the much-maligned "Legacy", OTOH....

:shrug:

oldturkey likes this.
  10. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident

When they say two years, does it mean the rest of his albums will be reissued within that time? If so, I guess there won't be any more box sets.

11. telecode101

telecode101 Forum Resident

I was referring to SRV. For most non-blues fans, no one really knew who we was at the time of Lets Dance.

12. telecode101

telecode101 Forum Resident

That was the late 80s. That kind of stuff was pretty hip and happening back then. You forget how much bad cr@p was around in 86/87. Bowie, Never Let Me Down and Glass Spider tour were the better stuff out there at that time for young kids.

13. Hooey. I was a young thing then, and 'hip' this was not my friend!

14. Uther

Uther Forum Resident

Yeah, I was 20 when I and my 19 year-old girlfriend (and a couple other friends our age) saw the Glass Spider tour. We all walked out in disbelief. I still remember what I said to them, "I think that was the definition of 'over-produced'". It was definitely not hip, though it desperately tried to be.

bobdylansbarber likes this.
  15. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Always liked "Fashion" from this tour, too:

Good drum sound, his vocals sound great, and he's graceful and looks great in the staged-fight choreography. (And I love the red suit after he ditches the jacket). Toni Basil choreographed both this tour and "Diamond Dogs", and you can see some similarities. Down the YT rabbit hole, I found a 1-cam audience job of "Big Brother" from an American show, and it really does feel like he's trying to have a do-over of sorts, which is great. (One difference is that the Scary Spider tour wasn't built to lose money, although it probably did).

scobb likes this.
  16. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Not trying to proselytize - don't really CARE to turn the world into Scary Spider fanatics - but I just watched "Bang Bang" and "Jean Genie" on teh Tube and I increasingly can't understand any of the hate for this tour. Again: great drum sound, Bowie in fine form vocally, sartorially, facially, and putting everything into his stage moves. (And I liked Frampton's musical contributions on the tour, too. So sue me.)

Tingman and Cat People like this.
  17. shadow blaster

shadow blaster Forum Resident

Who knows, but we're talking 2018-2019, so that means 2 more box sets, tops. But maybe they will focus on individual albums instead? I can't see how they are gonna get through the remaining catalogue in 2 years. ..

Zach Johnson likes this.
  18. Phillip Walch

Phillip Walch Forum Resident

I would imagine that Heathen through Blackstar will not be included so an 80s and 90s box with 2 more RSD specials?

19. Markyp

Markyp Forum Resident

This years box set Lets Dance to Black Tie
    2019 box Buddha to Reality
    RSD 2019 Tin Machine Box
    ??

shadow blaster likes this.
  20. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident

But wasn't BTWN seen as a break from what he had done in the 80s? An artistic revival as some might call it. It would be odd to group it in with the 80s albums.

21. Uther

Uther Forum Resident

But you are just picking out isolated music bits. You have to see the entire show to understand, perhaps. So much unnecessary production and effects, way too much dancing, confusing plotlines and dialogue, and on and off stage shenanigans (I remember being particularly annoyed when he "spontaneously" brought up a girl from the audience who turned out to be a plant who then started dancing in unison with the stage folk...we all just rolled our eyes). I mean, this wasn't a Michael Jackson or Madonna show where that kind of thing was ok with the 12-14 year-olds in the crowd, this was Bowie and his audience was more mature (either chronologically or emotionally) and it just wasn't cutting it for us.

Edit: Just realized that planted dancer bit was included in the video you linked. So corny.

22. voxstarstream

voxstarstream Forum Resident

I was 18 during the "Glass Spider" tour, and I have to say The Jesus and Mary Chain, Echo and the Bunnymen, and Siouxsie and the Banshees were much, much hipper than this dreck!

23. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

I saw it twice in the flesh in addition to the YT rabbit holes.

1: LOLz as I enter Vet's Stadium in Philly for the US opener and see the Scary Spider for the first time. Show uneven and doesn't really come to a boil until "Young Americans". Sad!

2: MSG in NYC a month or 2 later. He rocked my face off. I still don't have a face. Probably one of my top-3 concert experiences ever.

I explicitly made the point above that there is both the ridiculous and the spectacular to be picked apart from the show.

Yeah, I was in the 4th row first time I saw it. Got suckered in, the penny dropped, and our group all looked at each other and rolled our eyes, too ... and then shrugged and laughed about it immediately. How can life be that bad? We're in the fourth row in a football stadium, and DB is singing "Bang Bang".

2 thoughts: (1) An old story which I just came across again is DB's experience as a teenager at a Little Richard show. He fell hook line and sinker for LR passing out on stage like he was gonna die. (Obviously, Richard did not.) (2) Elder statesmen of rock always spend too much time declaiming that they're playing the part of a rock star. The "Bang Bang" presentation broke the fourth wall about it. There were obviously other plotlines and signifiers that still elude me, but I don't really care.

YMMV. Saw the stadium show of Michael Jackson in 1984 ($115 to a scalper was insane money back then) and again - lots of lights and Excalibur-type woo-woo, but the man still had all his song and dance magic. Took my breath away. Stunning stuff can be had, if you let it. (Again, YMMV).

I can't speak for DB, but it's clear he didn't just want to put on a show where he stands there all night. He also didn't want to put on a show where dancers were spazzing in his face all night. I think the music stands up (Again, YMMV) better than the 1990 shows.

jamesc, oldturkey and Tingman like this.
  24. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Max Florian likes this.
  25. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

You have good taste, although I did not discover the music of The Jesus and Mary Chain(and Spacemen 3) until the mid-1990s. If you were living in Memphis is 1997, wish I could send you in a time machine back then to go and stop Jeff Buckley from taking a dip(with Clothes and boots on) in the Wolf River to cool off on that hot evening in May.

Cat People likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.