Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    It fell from 60 here at midnight to 29 this morning at 9. Fortunately the freezing rain & ice that we feared did not materialize & we only got light snow. It's not supposed to get above freezing again until Monday.

DeepFloyd11 and bluemooze like this.
  2. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Not to mention that it is most likely a UK Decca era RCA pressing. Which also means better mastered and on quieter vinyl more carefully plated and pressed than a USA RCA Victor White Dog original pressing. Which equates to much better sounding Artur Rubinstein playing superb Chopin works. Which for me is McLover Approved. Less noisy, sounds better, and classical at it's best. Powerful and Poetic. The original US RCA Victor White Dog pressings when well cared for and pristine sound great, but a bit hissy.

Wes H likes this.
  3. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    I've probably gone too far with this easy-listening classical, but I don't care. It's so pleasant, so relaxing. Too bad a tape is missing.

4. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Beautiful photo. And very nice AR XA. I like AR XA (in my case with Shure M75EJ) and classical vinyl. Enjoyed that combination for many years. Always sounded nice, and made me want to play more music. McLover Approved!!! I miss mine!!!

sberger likes this.
  5. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

It was in the upper 60s this afternoon here and will be around freezing early tomorrow morning.

6. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Ginette Neveu playing Sibelius Violin Concerto. I like this performance for her strikingly beautiful playing during the opening first movement and other more poignant moments of the concerto. Is this one of those cult albums on vinyl that sells for a lot? Am I going to read about it from Electric Recording Company :) I could see it being one of them if it wasn't pressed in large numbers

[​IMG]

Eigenvector, julesd68, crispi and 2 others like this.
  7. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Szeryng has the prolific discography but it includes little real audiophile recordings like Mercury LPS. That’s why I did.

hvbias likes this.
  8. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

Now listening to CD 3 from the "The Bach Recordings" box set on L'Oiseau-Lyre.

"Concertos for harpsichord, strings and continuo BWV 1052, 1054 and 1056" performed by The Academy Of Ancient Music led by Christopher Hogwood featuring Christopher Rousset.

[​IMG]

9. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

It has been relatively warm today and is still in the low 50's, though it has rained most of the day. It will be sunny tomorrow and the high will be in the low 50's again. Temperature will then drop 30 degrees by Sunday and ice or snow may follow ...

10. coopmv

Is this a duplicate for you?

11. coopmv

This must be an older EMI LP. I bought a bunch of EMI LP's in the early 80's and their jackets look decidedly different in how the EMI logo is displayed ...

12. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Spinning this fantastic sounding disc in multi channel. Some better performances out there but this sounds amazing.
    [​IMG]

13. coopmv

I have his VW Symphony No. 2 on Chandos, just a redbook CD ...

Soulpope likes this.
  14. Rose River Bear

I have that as well on regular redbook. Sounds great.

15. bluemooze

I've been slowly but surely picking up the various L'Oiseau-Lyre boxes regardless of what I already have. I'm not sure about this particular disc. :)

16. Rose River Bear

Actually I take that back. I do have the SACD of the London Symphony. However, the SACD was botched. I have the redbook as well.

17. coopmv

You must have quite a few Chandos recordings by Hickox. I only have two, one is on Chandos and the other on same unfamiliar label (IMP Classics) that probably had licensed the recording from Chandos. Looks like Hickox only recorded for Chandos ...

Rose River Bear likes this.
  18. bluemooze

First listen to CD 3 from "Haydn - The Piano Sonatas" performed by Walter Olbertz on Berlin.

Hob. XVI:20-24

[​IMG]

Eigenvector, Wes H and Mowgli like this.
  19. DeepFloyd11

DeepFloyd11 Lady Eclectic

What a cool cover.
    I wonder if it would have been like this after a duel ? Was the woman in question worth taking some foe's life?
    Sorry, I just started fantasizing about some romantic, passionate and (for us ) senseless situation. His expression is partially disdain and partially tragic surrender to whatever destiny will bring. Great photo - whoever captured this depiction of an epoch.

julesd68 likes this.
  20. coopmv

I switched over from LP to CD pretty fast starting in the mid 80's and that is why my DG Archive and L'Oiseau-Lyre are mostly on CD ...

bluemooze likes this.
  21. Rose River Bear

I have every SACD on Chandos by Hickox. o_O

ShallowMemory likes this.
  22. coopmv

You must have enjoyed his conducting if you have all his Chandos SACD's. Just googled him and he passed away a number of years ago at a relatively young age ...

Rose River Bear likes this.
  23. DeepFloyd11

DeepFloyd11 Lady Eclectic

Hahaha!! I got a totally different 'feel' from that cover. I hadn't read your comment before writing mine.
    The cover totally transported me to the romantic era and how people of a certain class lived - sometimes consumed by their build up passions- always on the verge of overflowing.
    There were so many rules, social norms and taboos; restrictions and standards, barriers.... all meant to be broken - at least once in a while - even if it meant doom.
    The risk was worth it.
    Art, music and literature of that time contained so much of that build up need for intellectual, sexual and emotional release. :sigh:
    That's why women would faint when listening to Chopin or Liszt.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    julesd68 likes this.
  24. Rose River Bear

He did pass away at a young age. I actually have a dilated aorta which is similar to what he died from. They are keeping an eye on mine. It got worse over the past few years. I have to go for a ct scan next week.

25. coopmv

I was fascinated with the story of Jack the Ripper. Even after over a century, his true identity has remained unknown. Here in the States, there were the Hillside Stranglers, who were busted by the police ...

Hillside Strangler - Wikipedia

julesd68 likes this.