Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. DeepFloyd11

DeepFloyd11 Lady Eclectic

:righton: Unfortunately I've never been to London (or the UK for that matter)....but it's definitely on our list of 'must visit places'. I lived so many years in Europe - but never went to the UK. I regret that.
    So many amazing buildings and structures - but THAT thing I find utterly hideous! :righton:

2. DeepFloyd11

:love::love::love:

Wes H likes this.
  3. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Best of luck with your CT scan.

4. coopmv

You have to try that famous (or infamous) blood pudding ... :D

5. DeepFloyd11

[​IMG]

hvbias likes this.
  6. coopmv

:edthumbs:

Unlike my brother-in-law who lives in NYC but has a 50-acre ranch in the mountains of Telluride, CO, I live in CT and it is flat as a pancake ...

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  7. DeepFloyd11

Hahaha. No blood pudding or haggis for me. I'll stick to the fish and chips. Or Prime Rib. :winkgrin:

8. DeepFloyd11

On the TT...:tiphat:

[​IMG]

9. coopmv

I worked with a Brit for many years and he told me the American (probably the Canadian too) beef tasted much better than the English beef ...

10. ShallowMemory

ShallowMemory Classical Princess

It did help a man trapped in a walk in freezer....
    Trapped butcher saved by black pudding
    It's great cold or grilled packed with Iron.

julesd68 likes this.
  11. ShallowMemory

No Haggis??? Hoots Mon! :D
    It's consumed quite a bit in my house!

12. coopmv

I just read that article an hour ago. That butcher was a very lucky man ...

ShallowMemory likes this.
  13. DeepFloyd11

Hahaha!! YUCK. :yikes: I wouldn't eat that if they'd paid me!!
    But then again I am the typical finicky eater. No tripe, liver, brain, kidneys or prairie oysters for me.

I do eat the occasional gusanos de magey. :wave:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    hvbias and ShallowMemory like this.
  14. DeepFloyd11

Can't have an opinion on that. Never eaten UK beef.
    Canadian beef that I eat is grass fed and I occasionally enjoy a good sirloin steak here. I have also tried Argentinian and Brazilian beef - very good.
    I don't eat corn fed American beef. Cows should eat grass not corn in my opinion.
    There is an interesting documentary we recently saw called Steak Revolution. It's on Netflix - quite interesting. They explore the culture of steak and how it varies from country to country. Leaner beef steaks in some cultures are the popular thing - fattier, marbled meat considered better in others.

15. DeepFloyd11

16. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Ha! You have a colorful imagination! Yes, it's a captivating picture (and the music is quite good, too ;)), but you might find him less sinister in the alternate shot/pose below. The album credits Chris Hopper as photographer, but no other information.

[​IMG]

I recall seeing an advertisement for this record in Stereo Review magazine, wherein he was referred to as "The Phantom of the Piano"-- obviously some ad person at Columbia thought Lewenthal looked like he stepped out of Gaston Leroux's novel.
    At the time he was starting a "Romantic Revival" series of albums featuring important-but-forgotten 19th century composers or works by famous composers that were neglected. I don't believe it went past two volumes, though. Here is the other one:

[​IMG]

Both albums came with little 7" bonus records where he talks about the music and illustrates points at the keyboard.

17. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

And I thought my audio gear was taking up a lot of room! That horn looks scary.

bluemooze likes this.
  18. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

It's not dated anywhere, but I thought it was an early '80s release. EMI is/was the parent of the French Pathé Marconi company, so I suppose they wanted to keep the EMI logo on it, but with a slight variance. The record label still has the "His Master's Voice" dog on it.

[​IMG]

19. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Sorry to hear that; I hope they give you a good bill of health after your scan.

20. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Did you take that photo near where you live?

DeepFloyd11 likes this.
  21. ShallowMemory

A lot with meats is in how you cook it and personally I always source ours locally from an independent butcher from local farm and so very traceable.

DeepFloyd11 likes this.
  22. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(LP Deutsche Grammophon German Press 2530 133) 1971 .... straight to the point Brahms Klavierquartett reading ....

23. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(CD Chandos Red Book Edition CHAN-9902) 2001 .... recorded December 2000 .... bought this recently on a strong recommendation from a wise music enthusiast (with a hint that this Chandos CD being on the verge becoming extinct) and so glad I did follow - luminous music in superb sound ....

24. ShallowMemory

Phase Three where Shallow adds three works...
    [​IMG]
    Grieg, E. String Quartets with Fugue. Meccore String Quartets 2017 MDG 903 1998-6 stereo/"whatever" sacd
    A cheap used find on the 'bay of all places, this is an entertaining account well recorded at least in stereo by this Polish assemblage even if the multichannel is 2+2+2 rather than 5.0/5.1 which really makes no sense as most multichannel users will be using 5.0/5.1 and variations.

Eigenvector, bluemooze and Wes H like this.
  25. ShallowMemory

Maybe Chandos would care to do a box set?