Abbey Road - Leaner, Meaner and MUCH Better!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mike Reynolds, Jan 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

You axed everything up-tempo from side one and made a great album fairly dour.

This is why everyone isn't a record producer.

daveidmarx, DPK, Fivebyfive and 2 others like this.
  2. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

You forgot to axe Sun King, Mustard, and Pam.

johnnybrum, duggan and andrewskyDE like this.
  3. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

That's a good one!

4. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Why on earth would you bring this idea to a forum of people who like The Beatles, and try and tell them, "Hey, I've improved your 2nd favorite album...by shortening it, and not replacing anything I took out with what I think are better tracks"?

As far as I'm concerned, the only thing you got right is, yeah, I'll admit it..."Oh! Darling" is a weaker song. Not a weaker track, to be sure, the performance is excellent, but, there's not a lotta writin' in there. But, I wouldn't kick her outta bef for eating crackers in it...

Try and tell a kid you've improved his Happy Meal, by taking the toy out of it. Try and tell moviegoers Apocolypse Now flows better without "all that Colonel Kurtz crap". You might even make the case that Twin Peaks works just as well without the talking logs...they only talked to the Log Lady, anyway (for all we know, she could have just been making part of it up, and the owls are actually just what they seem after all)...

But, that's not Abbey Road, is it? No, that's a mixtape based on tracks from Abbey Road; it's just Aby Road.

Now, if you'll excuse me I'm going to end my evening with a delicious peanut butter and jelly sandwich...improved by the lack of bread...:crazy:

timind likes this.
  5. I’ll trade I Want You (She’s So Heavy), which goes on a few minutes too long, for Oh! Darling and Octopus’s Garden, but otherwise I’m with you!

6. angelees

angelees Forum Resident

WHAT ARE YOU SMOKING?????

Why would you want to detract from perfection!!

George Co-Stanza likes this.
  7. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

Side one of Abbey Road, in my opinion, is perfect for alternating between heavier and lighter songs. Octupus's Garden is a beautiful song, I think, Oh! Darling is an amazing performance, and Maxwell is funny.

8. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

I've decided to have a crack at making this album even leaner and meaner. Here's an early mock-up of the graphics for the new, improved "Abbey Road":

[​IMG]

9. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Wow. This thread clearly hit a nerve! :-popcorn:

10. kevintee

kevintee I’d rather be listening to McCartney

And deservedly so.

11. raimiz1991inc

raimiz1991inc Forum Resident

I think the problem with this thread is the title (practically blasphemous around here). Personally I love to read or hear about people and fans' makeovers of albums deer to them, weather it's trimming down triple and double LPs to one disc, rearranging songs and swap them for others and whatnot, but maybe you could change the title thread to "how would you improve Abbey Road" or something. I get what you mean though, and interesting as it may be I love Maxwell personally and I think Oh Darling is really strong! And since I wouldn't touch the medley, it's an almost impossible task for me to choose which ones should go. Even the hidden track contributes to the overall personality of the album.
    I also thought you would recreate the album mixing AR and LiB songs, which personally I feel that wouldn't work either.

Tord likes this.
  12. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

i think the medley could be maybe improved, maybe making i want you part of it, but i don't see this improving the album as a whole, just making it shorter and whats the fun in that

13. Moe Schmo

Moe Schmo Forum Resident

I would replace all the songs with songs from AC/DC’s Highway to Hell album

johnnybrum likes this.
  14. xilef regnu

xilef regnu Senior Member

I think not.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    linclink, Aftermath and CBS 65780 like this.
  15. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Impossible! It's the opening of the great Medley.

16. raimiz1991inc

raimiz1991inc Forum Resident

So would you say switching Here Come the Sun and I Want You so the latter becomes part of the meddley on side 2? That could be interesting:idea:

17. pseudopod

pseudopod Dig Yourself

Abbey Road is great how it is. You listen to it how you want, I'll stick with how it was released in 1969. There's nothing wrong with "Maxwell's Silver Hammer", "Oh! Darling" or "Octopus's Garden" either. Oh brother!

linclink, Paper Wizard, DPK and 4 others like this.
  18. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

nah I like here comes the sun where it is .....maybe put ballad f john and yoko in its place, but I don't now, pretty much perfection as it is (well Maxwell could bang his hammer out the door I woudnt be to upset)

19. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Perhaps a Gort can merge this thread with the already existing “Tell A Dumb Joke Here” thread?

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/tell-a-dumb-joke-here.335366/

:winkgrin:

20. stax o' wax

stax o' wax Forum Resident

I think The Beatles should have gone out with a double album...
    Can I get an Amen?

linclink, Crimson Witch and notesfrom like this.
  21. NothingBrightAboutIt

NothingBrightAboutIt Forum Resident

I've seen it suggested here to replace "Octopus's Garden" with the 1969 Harrison demo of "All Things Must Pass".

Yovra likes this.
  22. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

No, but to each their own! Go for it!

forthlin, pseudopod and Crimson Witch like this.
  23. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

In one word: ‘no’!
    In more words; ‘Oh, Darling’ is a fine track and after the muddy rock of I Want You on side one, Here Comes The Sun is the perfect opening for side two.

3rd Uncle Bob and Tord like this.
  24. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

He just made the US Abbey Road album for us.

Add some reverb for extra texture, stamp a Capitol log on front, and it's almost done. (Volkswagen might have to ante up some ad money, though, or we turn the Beetle into a police car).

Back cover will need to be totally redesigned; I mean, a picture of a wall and a skirt flittering by?!?... Any ideas?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  25. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Everest!

NothingBrightAboutIt and nikh33 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.