Outer protection record sleeves

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Johan Bos, Jan 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Johan Bos

Johan Bos Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi, maybe this is a little silly topic, but now that I'm investing in some vinyl I'm wondering wether I should start using outer (protection) sleeves or not in order to protect the oringinal outer sleeves?

A few newly bought records were shipped with transparent plastic protection sleeves but I removed them as I don't like the look and feel of them.

Do you use them and why (not)?

2. Graham

Graham Senior Member

Blake’s.

DrZhivago, jusbe and Minty_fresh like this.
  3. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Yes, I use them with all used and new record that I buy. Sleevecity offers a lot of choices for inner and outer sleeves. I prefer the Ultimate Outer 2.5.

4. stuwee

stuwee Forum Resident

^^^Agreed^^^ or look online for the best deal.

Any pristine Lp needs all the help it can get, keeping it clean. Has anyone thought to post a 'how to" on handling Lp's properly? Lot's of youtube out there I know...how do you really analog fiends do it? I'm talking about for the youngin's...us oldies know the ritual.

Never touch touch the groove area, ever. For right hander's, 2nd digit in the spindle hole, thumb on the outer lip, place it on the platter. Using your left hand, just like guitar players use their other hand for fretwork...

OT, I use them, covet them, my main source went out of business years ago, so I'll hope to add some info as I find it.

switchnow and Aftermath like this.
  5. Kraan

Kraan Forum Resident

Yes, I use them with all of my records (new & used ones). I'm using thick polyethylene sleeves from a Dutch webshop. And for what I know at the moment, it is recommended to use polyethylene or polypropylene, but to stay away from PVC sleeves.

By the way, I kinda asked the same question last week (Storing vinyl the proper way ) and in that topic the usage of inner sleeves is also discussed! So maybe it's of good help?

switchnow, Aftermath and McGuy like this.
  6. McGuy

McGuy All Mc, all the time...

7. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

The topic may be silly, but it comes up often. A search should yield plenty of prior discussion. I think the question is answered by how you feel about ring wear :)

8. Johan Bos

Hi everyone, thanks for your directions, I'll read the mentioned topics and consider buying some outer protection sleeves just to keep everything in good condition, after all records aren't that inexpensive sometimes.

9. McGuy

McGuy All Mc, all the time...

just buy them, can't go wrong and can't hurt. The only real world issue is space - they do add space when you're adding them to hundreds of albums...

10. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

... or thousands :). But for me, the extra space is something I live with for the protection it provides.

Note that outer sleeves may not be a "one size fits all" Double LP sets, foreign imports, older LP's, etc you'll find that they don't all fit the same sleeve. It depends on your collection and how varied it is, and whether you also have boxed sets, etc. For me, with thousands of LP's, one sleeve size just doesn't do the trick...

For instance, my two go-to sleeves for most single disc and double disc LP's:

- Vinyl Styl - 12 3/4 in x 12 3/4 in - these will be a tad big on most single disc, and better fit for doubles. $7.99 for 50 at Fry's and good clarity, 3mm.
    - Square Deal Online - 12 3/4 in x 12 1/2 in - these give a tighter fit with no "slop at the top" for the average single disc, but may be too small for some. VERY cheap if you buy in quantity at Square Deal online, good clarity and quality.

But for me, that is not it! Some double LP's are just too large, and then I have boxed sets (many) and other LP's jackets of varied sizes.

- Square Deal Online has 12 3/4 x 13 in sleeves that fit the bill for small boxed sets, large double LP's.
    - Square Deal also has 13 1/8 in x 12 3/4 in, and 13 1/2 x 13 in for bigger boxes. SquareDealOnline.com

I have all different sizes.... plus the 12 x 12 inner sleeves at Square deal are better than the Sleeve City economy sleeves, and much cheaper in volume.

Square Deal "follows the rules" on shipping though and don't ship Media Mail for sleeves (technically those that do are breaking the USPS rules). So, to make up for the additional shipping, you may have to buy in volume to take advantage of the lower price per sleeve. For me it was not a problem because in one order I bought some 750 sleeves of varying types and sizes.

If you just have a need for 100 or so standard sized sleeves, of course Sleeve City is probably the way to go, they have 15% off discounts regularly and their shipping is cheap for small batches as they use Media Mail (at least they did when I bought).

waaguirr, stuwee and McGuy like this.
  11. Johan Bos

Hi, I'm about to buy some polyethylene outer sleeves to protect my outer sleeves but it seems most of the PE outer sleeves that are sold here in Holland are LDPE. Just wondering if thats ok as there is also HDPE. If I'm correct the LDPE feels a bit softer and looks a bit more "milky".

I don't care too much about the looks, but most important to me is that the sleeve is not degrading my vinyl over time as is the case with PVC if i'm correct. So would LDPE be ok, do you have any exerience with this material?

12. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

If you're buying outer protection sleeves (i.e., those that protect the album cover), they will not be in direct contact with the vinyl if inner sleeves are also used and/or the vinyl is stored inside the album cover. Thus, I doubt that HPDE vs. LPDE will matter in this case.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
  13. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

My parents used outer plastic sleeves so this is how I grew up. That's how I learned, they're necessary, a part of the game. Since I got my first records about thirty years ago I never considered not having outer sleeves. The bigger and thicker the better. I suppose I'm a traditional guy.

14. OneChance

OneChance Forum Resident

I use the Sleeve City resealable 3 mil ones, and I love them. The sticky part is not on the flap, which is nice, and it takes just a few seconds to open the flap and get the album out. I got them to keep dust out, prevent ring wear, give me a place to put all the extra stuff like lyric sheets, and just to keep the jackets looking nice. I don't care about resale value; I'm just anal retentive.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
  15. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

+1 for the oversized. LPs packaging is getting thicker and thicker!

16. Johan Bos

Hi guys, I just ordered 100 LDPE sleeves. They don't fit the thicker double record albums, but I added them to all my single record albums. They don't bother me at all - I actually prefer my records with extra protection sleeve - they remind me of searching for recrods in a record shop!

17. 12" 45rpm

12" 45rpm Forum Resident

I've never used outer sleeves and don't get why they are so popular. They are bulky and ugly. A record that is stored with other records is already protected from the sun and dust. So what value does throwing an outer sleeve on it do?

18. hitmanhart408

hitmanhart408 Forum Resident

19. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

It's to protect against wear more than anything. Also, in some sleeves, the contrast of the cover is boosted giving the covers vibrant like-new colors.

Big Blue and Uglyversal like this.
  20. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

It protects the sleeve art from wear. Have you never in your life noticed that laminated sleeves tend to look nicer over the years compared to textured ones?

Also, a record stored with others is not protected by the sun. You should never have direct sunlight on your record storage unit.

zombiemodernist likes this.
  21. Leonthepro

22. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

They will also stop dark covers from getting the round mark of the vinyl and keep them looking like new.

Leonthepro likes this.
  23. Leonthepro

"Ringwear".

24. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

Exactly, the word escaped me, thanks!

Aftermath and Leonthepro like this.
  25. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Look like PVC rather than the soft poly sleeves. Same material that some complain of causing gasing damage long term.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.