Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

2. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

3. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Chilling with Brian McBride - The Effective Disconnect (Kranky)
    One of the members of Stars Of The Lid made this soundtrack to the documentary Vanishing Of The Bees.

bluemooze likes this.
  4. jerico

jerico Forum Resident

Having this playing in the background through the day:

[​IMG]

I have the LP set, but that's a lot of manual labor (10 sides!) so I'm going digital on this one.

[​IMG]

5. bluejimbop

bluejimbop Thumb Toe Heel Toe

Love ‘em both. There’s a music for every mood.

6. bluejimbop

Wow, she’s got guts. Just what I know from being a member of this board for a little while, you don’t want for nuthin’. I’m a piker compared to you and your music collection but my GF & all my friends are too scared to gift me any music for fear I either have it already or will dislike it. Good on your wife!

Lonson likes this.
  7. bluejimbop

“Organ Jazz is The People’s Music” - Pete Fallico
    No place I’d rather be than in a room full of Organ Jazz People gettin’ taken to church by somebody kickin’ the ‘3.

rxcory, bluemooze and Fender Relic like this.
  8. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Got this next one along with Cirrus, since the same seller had two Hutch albums I figured I’d kill two birds with one stone. I refer to this page on londjazzcollector about identifying Blue Note pressings by the labels and other traits, looks like this is the likely an original pressing.

Bobby Hutcherson - Total Eclipse (White & Blue label, Division of Liberty pressing)

[​IMG]

rxcory, vanhooserd, bluemooze and 5 others like this.
  9. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Blue Mitchell - The Thing To Do (Music Matters 45)

[​IMG]

rxcory, vanhooserd, bluemooze and 4 others like this.
  10. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Classic Records 200g Mono

It literally cooks.

11. caupina

caupina Forum Resident

This is a Chilean jazz band I recently discovered by chance. I love the sound and compositions, especially the second track "Atma" which happens to be the album's name...in case the youtube link doesn't work the name of the band is Bruno Riveros if you want to look it up, I'm sure most of jazz lovers won't be dissapointed :righton:

12. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Peggy Lee - Black Coffee (Mono, SHM-CD, UCCU-5778)

[​IMG]

Another vocal album that is outside of my wheelhouse. I was trying to think of what it was about the Julie London I listened to yesterday which was hanging me up a little, besides some of the song selections (e.g. “Camptown Races”, which, as a 10-year old taking guitar lessons, learning to read music from some Alfred’s guitar method, or something similar, and learning to play this tune, when what I really wanted to be doing was rocking out to some “Master of Puppets” or “Welcome to the Jungle”, has left me with somewhat skewed feelings about this tune), when my car stereo gave me the answer earlier today when I inserted the Peggy Lee for listening while about town. The car stereo listed the genre as “easy listening”, which I think hits on the vague feeling that was clouding my listening experience during the Julie London. I don’t have as much of that feeling while listening to this Peggy Lee; still, I do really enjoy both, I just think there may be a bit of a warmup period until I become acclimated completely.

rxcory, bluemooze and bluejimbop like this.
  13. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

She is one of the best and that’s a great record to boot. I’m running out now so no time but worth streaming most of her 50s and early 60s stuff.
    You might want to check out another thread called obscure and neglected female singers of 30s to 60s ( or something like that)
    Try Helen Merrill 50s records on mercury too
    This is a deep hole you may fall into

14. Six String

Six String Senior Member

WP Lee Morgan's Procrastinator (Blue Note) Music Matters 45 RPM Pressing
    NP Sam Rivers - Fuschia Swing Song (Blue Note) Music Matters 45 RPM Pressing
    It's so nice to hear that air under Tony's cymbals on Fuschia Swing Song. With Jaki Byard and Ron Carter, that's a dream team. Music Matters puts you in the studio.

rxcory, Guitarded, vanhooserd and 4 others like this.
  15. Six String

Six String Senior Member

A friend went to The Groove Yard in Oakland and bought a copy of the same and gave it to me as a birthday present. It was probably fifteen years ago or maybe more so wasn't the heroic effort it would be today. Still, glad he thought enough to get this one for me. It's very good but then I rate all of Bobby's Blue Note recordings. There's always something to recommend on his albums.

Crispy Rob and dzhason like this.
  16. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

17. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

My DVD/CD of Stan Getz at Montreux 1972 arrived yesterday morning, the quartet features Chick Corea, Stanley Clarke & Tony Williams.

I've watched it 3 times already, it's absolutely phenomenal & the best colour footage of Tony Williams from this era by a long way.

The versions of Lush Life & La Fiesta are particular highlights.

18. Thinking about it now I wish I'd bought more Jamal and less Bill Evans. I don't wish to start a riot but I have nearly 50 albums of Bill's and I only play about half of them.
    I was watching some Jamal on Yoochoob last night and that prompted me to dig out a few albums of his I hadn't listened to for quite a while. Agree about vinyl scarcity, I don't see too much of his stuff in the Tokyo bins.

NP

[​IMG]
    Don Ellis - How Time Passes (1960) Candid Japanese 'Hi-Bit' series cd. TECW-20381

This seems a lot more accessible now than it seemed when I first listened to it 15 years ago. Which probably says something about me and not much about the music. 'Improvisational Suite' is nearly half an hour long but is worth sticking with. Jaki Byard, a young Ron Carter, the great Charlie Persip and Don Ellis showing what a fine orthodox player he was. Stockhausen was something of an inspiration for Ellis in the execution of this material, though it's not neccessary to be over-concerned with it's genesis in order to enjoy this music. If you are a fan of Mingus suites you'll probably get a lot out of this. A bag of peanuts to anyone who can name the altoist on this album. (It wasn't Dolphy ;)).

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  19. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

Jaki Byard!

is that the only album he's ever doubled on alto with piano?

fastskillfulinjured likes this.
  20. All music is 'easy listening' if you're digging it. Miss Lee was dynamite! :love:

vanhooserd, Stu02 and dzhason like this.

21. :righton:
    Dry roasted or ready salted?

Roger Thornhill likes this.
  22. Roger Thornhill

For a minute I thought this was a reference to an album called Salt Peanuts...

23. Roger Thornhill

I went to the launch gig of this at Kings Place the other night. A new venue for me - good acoustics but because there is a stage it loses the intimate atmosphere that I love at Cafe Oto and the Vortex.

[​IMG]

Some really fine singing and playing - these four have a terrific understanding between them. I've seen three gigs by them now and they never disappoint.

24. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Lee Konitz "In Europe '56: Paris Unreleased/Koln Session"
    with Lars Gullin, Bobby Jaspar, Henri Utreger, Sacha Distel et al

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

rxcory, Soulpope, bluemooze and 6 others like this.
  25. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I saw a whole pile of Lester Young LPs for $1 each yesterday, but decided I did not need back-ups of back-ups

Fender Relic likes this.