Jimmy Page says previously unheard Led Zeppelin music will be released for band's 50th anniversary

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bartels76, Dec 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moe Schmo

Moe Schmo Forum Resident

What is the attraction of Earls Court for people? I just don’t get the love. The last two nights have been available in soundboard and video for many years and overall really aren’t that good.

There were some good bits that were used for the DVD but overall the shows are nowhere near good enough to justify a standalone release IMO. Who wants to hear 30 minutes of spaced out rambling Jimmy on Dazed and Confused, for example? It’s available on soundboard for anyone who wants to hear it but I don’t see the point of an offical release of that kind of stuff.

Rockin' Robby, Alex D and jdlaw like this.
  2. A remastered and expanded version of WTWWW would be more than welcome *in addition to* something we haven’t heard yet.
    C’mon Jimmy- it’s the 50th Anniversary!

fishcane likes this.
  3. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

For the 5oth anniversary Jimmy is going to remix the albums with guest rappers and hip hop artists on the songs. Kind of like an Elvis Duets album but even more terrible.

4. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

The 23th may is much better than 24th and 25th. Sadly, to these days, only audience tapes are available.

But I've never seen the Earls Court as landmark. I remember even reading some articles saying they were the best Zep shows on their career (Come on!)
    There were better 1975 shows like Seattle or L.A.

I'd be happy with a soundboard of 23th may, but I'D LOVE to have 1970 and specially 1971 concerts. THOSE were their live peak years

:wave:

ODShowtime and steveharris like this.
  5. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

:hurl::hurlleft:

mick_sh and The Ole' Rocker like this.
  6. WonkyWilly

WonkyWilly Forum Resident

There were nights that were audio recorded but not filmed, it appears. So there would be a larger pool of performances to choose from than just those two shows.

7. The Trinity

The Trinity Do what thou wilt, so mote be it.

Jimmy will be assembling the individual 2015 vinyl remasters into a single box set and releasing that with a bonus 45 of Swan Song to give it traction enough for people to buy it all again.

Then there will be the book that he announced, and the vinyl release of How the West Was Won.

There will be a Record Store Day thingy in there too.

That’s my .02.

8. Moe Schmo

Moe Schmo Forum Resident

They also have the 23rd but the bass drum wasn’t recorded. Doesn’t matter how many nights they have though you’re still going to get more or less the same sloppy playing.

9. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

Still I wonder if that bass drum comes and goes throughout the entire 23rd recordings or just certain songs.
    Also if technology has advanced to restore the missing bass drum.The 23rd Earl`s Court is arguably a very worthy performance to be released.

But Yes,I was thinking at the least,a book,a Record Store Day vinyl single or 10" and a How The West Was Won vinyl reissue along with MAYBE some kind of DVD upgrade/reissue.

But I still say that alone is not good enough!
    Live In JAPAN 1971!!!!!:righton:

ponkine, jay.dee and Sean like this.
  10. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

Didn't Pink Floyd have the same problem with Wembley 1974 recording?

They fixed it anyway

:wave:

supernaut and steveharris like this.
  11. WonkyWilly

That was supposedly the case with a recent Frank Zappa box. The bass drum had been recorded, but very badly.

They were able to fix it by using the badly recorded bass drum to trigger samples of the same bass drum from a different night.

Fullbug and vudicus like this.
  12. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

Camel's live take of the Snow Goose suite on the original release of A Live Record (recorded in 1975) had the drum parts overdubbed in studio due to a microphone malfunctioning. Modern restoration techniques made possible to fix and use the original recording on the remastered edition.

Crimson Witch likes this.
  13. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

What did you think of the BBC Sessions Davis remaster compared to what is on the various boots?

This is one that I was underwhelmed with.

14. WonkyWilly

I prefer the previous Astley remaster because it is (amazingly) less processed. Davis filtered out all kinds of ambience.

The boots are good, and of course more complete, but they need to be mastered properly for full effect.

15. followmehome

followmehome Forum Resident

They could easily sample various bass drum sounds from the other recordings - so called "purists" wouldn't like that I'm sure, but if done well (and it would be) you'd never know.

Sean, Crimson Witch and steveharris like this.
  16. WonkyWilly

It most certainly has. But the degree of sucess of such an attempt would depend on whether the drum was recorded at all, either itself or on another night or reel.

Crimson Witch and steveharris like this.
  17. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

I think it was the vocals that got fixed. Which is fine with me, 'cos Floyd's live vocals could be rough, even though the music was nearly always very good.

For all the crap Jimmy Page gets for "butchering" Zep's live albums, lots of live sets by classic rock acts have significant overdubs, punch-ins from other concerts, fully re-recorded parts, and so on.

For example, Genesis and Peter Gabriel are infamous for re-recording live albums in the studio, which is puzzling, because they (Genesis) were always a note-perfect live band. Their FM broadcasts and unofficial live recordings always show the band in a good light. Gabriel has done similar things with his live solo albums. I suppose PG is just never happy with the sound of his voice live.

Led Zep's live albums are actually fairly honest. There's some sweetening, and some bits flown in from other live recordings, but none of them have a 50-year-old Robert Plant going into the studio to fully replace a vocal track originally recorded a half a lifetime ago.

supernaut and Sean like this.
  18. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

Who wants an officially released 30-minute spaced out rambling Jimmy from '75? Me. :tiphat: Especially if it's on video. The only issue I have with video from Earl's Court is that it's all closeups. Not enough long shots to give proper perspective and change of pace.

I mostly agree with you about Earl's Court, but there are enough above average moments to make a "Best Of" worthwhile.

19. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

This is a great point. Compared to some of these bands that completely re-recorded these albums and even flown in crowd noise and instrumentation from other cities - Jimmy actually kept a very light touch by way of comparison.

20. Adam Ryan Watson.

Adam Ryan Watson. Well-Known Member

I have often had a theory about why the members of zeppelin or people close to the band never confirm on the record that the japan tapes actually still exist. I don't think they own the tapes Atlantic records does because the Japanese division paid for the recording not the band and that's why they said they were wiped. Because the record company could force them into a release or ask for the tapes be handed over they agreed to let page take the tapes to London for review then said the sound quality was mediocre and grant said the tapes were wiped so they would not be pressured to return the tapes the band's cut for the japan release could be smaller because they don't own the tapes.

21. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

It was actually bass drum!
    Interview: Pink Floyd engineer Andy Jackson on Immersion box sets | superdeluxeedition

As for Genesis, the original 'Genesis Live' didn't have fixed vocals. It was the Lamb Live LA 1975 and the tracks from Rainbow 1973 that did have Peter Gabriel's newly recorded vocals. I still don't know why oh why he decided to do that!. It was more than 20 years after those performances, in 1998, and his voice was clearly different.

The main problem with Zep live albums is that they never a a proper vision back in the day. I mean, first of all: in the height of their popularity, how come they didn't see the potential of a live album? After Allman Brothers 'Fillmore East' double LP in 1971, Zep should've stated the importance and potential of live albums. Why oh why Jimmy didn't have that Robert Fripp sixth sense?

And for worse, once they decided to start recording multitracked gigs for live albums, they chose the last gigs of the tour (MSG 1973, Earls Court 1975, Seattle 1977) when they were and sounded more tired and worse than the middle of the tours, when they reached their peak

:shake:

supernaut likes this.
  22. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

Peter had said that it was because of certain costumes he wore that the vocals often suffered as a result.
    Sometimes the vocal performance wasn't perfect, but in the case of the slipperman outfit,
    it was near impossible to get close enough to the microphone for it to be recorded correctly.
    I would have preferred warts and all, but he seemed to want to correct anything he felt was less than perfect.

Steve Hackett also re-recorded some guitar parts as he wasn't happy with some of his performances.

Things like this may also explain why none of these tapes have ever seen the light of day...

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
    ponkine likes this.
  23. Frittenköter

Frittenköter Forum Resident

where does it say that?

24. Adam Ryan Watson.

The only shows they recorded with a clear purpose was royal albert hall and the msg shows. Albert hall for a t.v documentary that was aborted. Msg for the movie they choose msg for the convenience of 3 shows In the same venue for lots of editing options plus easy access to eddie Kramer and electric lady recording equipment. It would be much more expensive to have Kramer his crew and equipment transported to other cities. The 72 California and earls court recordings seemed like they were an after thought without any intention of release. Seattle was not recorded on multitrack. Multi tracking was very expensive in those days and old led wallet did not want to pay.

25. Adam Ryan Watson.

Regarding hwww and the rhino calendar something that gives me hope that a hwww reissue will not be the release or at least not the only release is that I just looked at the 2017 calendar and the bbc sessions album cover was used for September in 2017 and bbc remaster was released in 2016. There was no zeppelin release bbc or otherwise in September 2017. So maybe they just like zeppelin album covers for September. I remain cautiously optimistic .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.