Real Time Click Repair MiniPC Setup

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by krisbee, Jul 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mintsauce

Mintsauce Forum Resident

A Behringer UCA222

2. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

No surprise as that's a pretty big upgrade.

3. Mintsauce

Mintsauce Forum Resident

Yeah, I was just posting for completeness really. I’d say the results verses investment on this project have been excellent.

4. Strat-Mangler

How do you have things plugged in? AFAIK, it just has a USB plug in the back along with a single non-RCA L/R output.

5. Mintsauce

Mintsauce Forum Resident

Have it on a passive switch so I can bypass it easily. On this side it goes from the switch to mono 1/4” jacks on the front, then usb to the pc and then usb to the dac, dac feeds the amp.

6. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I couldn't get RT to work in my system.

7. Mintsauce

Mintsauce Forum Resident

I had an issue initially, I think it was because I was trying to run it without anything giving a signal, the program just didn’t appear to run when double clicked. As soon as I added a source, it worked. Might help.

8. Strat-Mangler

I'm more visual and don' bbelieve I completely understand how you've had it set up.

9. Mintsauce

Mintsauce Forum Resident

sorry it took a while.. like this...
    https://i.imgur.com/7S7PCLg.jpg
    [​IMG]

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  10. Strat-Mangler

Thanks for that. The image isn't showing because it wasn't properly attached but I worked around it. It should be like this.

[​IMG]

What's the passive switch and what is it for? Sorry for the basic questions. Just trying to get an understanding for the way things are set up and perhaps to get some inspiration on how to improve my own setup. :)

11. Mintsauce

Mintsauce Forum Resident

yeah was trying to fix that, it normally works.. hmmm anyway thanks

12. Strat-Mangler

Oh, I had a question about that passive switch which I wrote below the pic. It's easy to miss, my fault. What's the passive switch and what is it for? Sorry for the basic questions. Did you also make that drawing in Vizio?

Been thinking about getting a Focusrite unit as well for a while but am wondering whether it'd work with my current setup. :(

13. Mintsauce

Mintsauce Forum Resident

glad you said as I'd missed it....
    The switch is a manual (passive) one, it's not powered and you turn the knob to select the path of the audio signal http://amzn.eu/dLJQPgT this one has three inputs and one output, but I'm using it reverse, so it effectively has one input (Phono Stage) and three outputs (I'm only using two) set to output one, it bypasses the digital side of things and stays full analogue to the amp. In position two, the switch channels the audio via the Focusrite and into the digital realm. I'd read that this was a better way to do it than just using a y-splitter.
    I'm very happy with the Focusrite and wish I'd bought it first. at some point I want to do some needle drops with it.
    I made the image quickly in Photoshop.

Robert C and Strat-Mangler like this.
  14. Strat-Mangler

Right now, I'm using the tape loop function on my amp which gives me the ability to switch it on/off to get the audio sent to my PC for manipulation and then back to the amp to be heard. Looks like the passive switch you use does the same thing with the Focusrite which doesn't allow in & out with RCAs. Ingenious. Thanks for linking the specific one you use. I take it you haven't noticed any degradation of the sound by using it in even your live listening sessions?

Some higher-end needledroppers use some much more expensive ADCs like the Lawry or Benchmark gear, stuff costing in the 4 digits. I don't have the means to spring for something of that caliber so the Focusrite is probably a much better bet.

15. Mintsauce

Mintsauce Forum Resident

My rega has a Record Output set of RCA’s on the back, which I’m using to feed a little dot mk3 headphone amp, not sure it’s the same as your tape loop though, sounds like you should be good with those.
    I’ve not been able to notice any drop off in sound since adding the switch and I did a fair bit of testing it first turned up.

16. Wayne Bull

Wayne Bull Forum Resident

I'm using the Focusrite as well through the tape loop and notice no degradation at all.
    Brilliant little setup on a budget compared to the Sugarcube.

Strat-Mangler, krisbee and Mintsauce like this.
  17. Strat-Mangler

How do you have it set up on your end? I can't quite grasp how that'd be possible considering it only has one set of RCAs.

18. Wayne Bull

I have phono RCA's going from my turntable into my Denon amp phono stage.
    I then have RCA's from tape out going to the Focusrite which then has RCA's out to the tape in.
    So basically the signal goes from the amp to the Focusrite which is then used by Clickrepair to hear and repair the signal and the repaired signal is then sent back to the Focurite and then to the Denon amp through the tape in. The Focusrite is connected to a mini windows 10 silent pc.

I have the Clickrepair RT program running permanently on the pc which is on 24/7.

Robert C and Strat-Mangler like this.
  19. Mintsauce

Mintsauce Forum Resident

What confused me about the focusrite at first is the connections on the front. Just in case you don’t realise, you add a rca to mono 1/4” phono jack to your rca cables and plug them in the dual function inputs on the front.

20. Strat-Mangler

Ah-ha! *That* was the crucial bit that was confusing me. Thanks for clearing the fog. Now, I get it. Thanks for hanging in there with me until I got it, guys! Very much appreciated.

Mintsauce likes this.
  21. Mintsauce

Mintsauce Forum Resident

Had a feeling that was it, it had me scratching my head before I bought it too :) good luck!

22. Wayne Bull

Yes, I forgot that vital point. Well remembered :):)

Mintsauce likes this.
  23. Strat-Mangler

Just to be perfectly clear to everyone, you buy 2 of these to convert each RCA to TRS.

[​IMG]

And then plug them where the arrows show in this pic.

[​IMG]

The reason I initially got confused is I hadn't realized those input jacks had multiple functions. I thought they were solely for XLR. Boy, is my face red. Anyway, glad we cleared it all up.

EDIT : I just want to point out I only used that pic of this Focusrite model for the arrows pointing at the front panel. I realize the model I would buy would have proper RCA output jacks in the back.

Mintsauce likes this.
  24. Wayne Bull

This is the model I use, so as mentioned, you need the XLR adaptor's in the rear outputs as well

25. Strat-Mangler

Oh, so you cannot output to RCA if using the dual-function inputs (XLR/TSR)? I wrongfully assumed a device like this would allow users to choose any number of combinations to their liking.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.