Concert For George reissue CD/LP/DVD Feb 23, 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by zgredzik, Jan 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Doubtful. You're purchasing goods/services, not making a donation.

It would be nice, if it were true. It's the time of year for pushing that kind of thing, isn't it?

2. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

Yeah, it was humorously noting the poorly worded listing (limited to 1000 copies) as they just did a C&P job.

Jerry Horne likes this.
  3. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

Didn't realize the Blu-ray 2 disc sets were commanding over twice their list price in the used marketplace, good to see it's back in print (for those that want a copy without paying market value) with this announcement but shame they couldn't add in the missing audio that's being included on the vinyl sets.

jlf likes this.
  4. Jack

Jack Senior Member

On the floor?

5. Mr. Explorer

Mr. Explorer Trumpet Man/Dapper Dan

I’m a bit confused, the CD, blu ray and vinyl track listings on the official site all look the same to me?

6. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

Sorry I meant on the CDs not on the Blu-ray, the vinyl will have all the audio whereas the CD is slightly shorter skipping the two Python tracks and Horse to the Water by Sam Brown.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  7. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

fwiw, I was able to put 812 "deluxe" editions in my shopping cart right now (but not 813). So we have an idea how quickly these are going.

forthlin and Mr. Explorer like this.
  8. balzac

balzac Senior Member

I bought the Blu-ray reissue back when that first came out. Contrary to another review, I found that it *was* an improvement over the DVD.

However, it's not a vast improvement. It's probably one of the smallest leaps in video quality I've seen between a DVD and Blu-ray. I think the show was shot in HD, but they would have been using earlier HD equipment back then and the resulting Blu-ray only has a moderate amount of additional detail.

I would tend to doubt they're doing a new transfer for this new release, they appear to be working from the same old CD/DVD/Blu-ray components to put these big boxed sets together. As it is, assuming the show was shot digitally in HD and not on actual film, I don't think there's much more quality/detail they can wring out of the footage. It may well be a native 1080p shoot where what we're seeing on the blu-ray is as good as it gets.

The show has a pretty "filmic" look, so on the off chance that it was actually shot on 35mm film, they then *could* go back and rescan the film. But as I said, I think this was an all-digital HD camera shoot.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  9. I was chatting on the phone with @chacha a few minutes ago and I have a theory. In terms of the $450. Deluxe set selling out-the one that contains test pressings-I think they may have made a mistake on the actual limited quantity. It says limited to 1000 copies and I believe they copied and pasted the description from the regular Deluxe set and forgot to change the limited quantity.

First of all, there is nothing in the description about the included test pressings. That is only listed in the headline title. And I can't believe that hey already sold a thousand of these in only a few hours. I bet that there were only 100 or so. They would make sense if it is in fact sold out.. Because there are never a 1000 test pressings made of any actual vinyl release, unless of course it is a manufactured look alike test pressing.

chacha and Mr. Explorer like this.
  10. Yeah those are this party sellers offering the out of print DVD set. Ridiculous That one is warehoused by Amazon.

11. bward

bward Senior Member

About a year ago, I was searching the net for information about the new I Me Mine book, and I instead found a Barnes and Noble listing for the Genesis Concert for George book (in the orange box with a copy of the program, the incense sticks, Olivia's autograph, etc) for $135.00.

That's not a typo. $135.00.

Thinking it might be some kind of bait and switch, I still ordered it (I know as I've said many times before, this is an illness) I then told some friends about it, but the listing was gone.

And a few days later, it arrived. All sealed up in the Genesis outer box, in perfect condition.

It wasn't a scam.

Until today, I was wondering how that came to be.

Now I'm wondering if Genesis was clearing out unsold stock to make way for this deluxe version.

I don't know.

I have no other idea why a Genesis book could be so affordable or why Barnes and Noble was handling an order for Genesis.

Keep an eye out, who knows how this is all working.

As for this new version of Concert for George, I must be growing up, because I'm not even tempted. The CD/DVD pkg from 2003 (or whenever it was released) is great and I'm happy with it.

If only I could have the same attitude towards McCartney's reissues.

ronbow, forthlin, 5th-beatle and 4 others like this.
  12. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Harumph. I held off on getting this on CD in the initial release because it was missing Horse To Water and the Python tracks. I got the DVD and waited for the inevitable "bonus tracks" edition for the CD...

I would like to see the complete version released on CD. As far as I can tell the only reason they left those three tracks off is because the 2nd disc clocks in at 79'05", which is pretty close to the "standard" time limit.

But, hey guys, here's a thought: why not put a couple more tracks on the 1st disc?? I know, it would mean "polluting" the eastern music disc with some western music [or in the case of MP mixing the "sacred" with the "profane"], but hey, maybe might give the general populace more reason to play through the 1st disc more often. You never know..

13. Mr. Explorer

I don’t know why but this is low key the funniest thing I’ve read all day

Lewisboogie likes this.
  14. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Mileage is always different on this stuff. Was disappointed when I later acquired the Blu Ray. On my Oppo 83 and Pioneer Kuro, the DVD looked much more film-like and pleasing. I sold the Blu shortly after.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  15. Mr. Explorer

I know very little about this project admittedly, but I had kind of just assumed that it was shot on film. It had the budget, it was still pre-Revenge if the Sith, and as some of you say, it soooort of has the filmic look

chacha likes this.
  16. So I think I actually paid $300 US for my ticket. Over face value.

[​IMG]

ronbow, superstar19 and Mr. Explorer like this.
  17. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

"Complete set of authentic Test Pressings (4-discs), pressed at Quality Record Pressings (QRP)."

EXCLUSIVE DELUXE EDITION + TEST PRESSING BUNDLE. LIMITED TO 15 SETS WORLDWIDE, ONLY AVAILABLE IN THE GEORGE HARRISON OFFICIAL STORE.

-----------------------------------------

Glad I grabbed one!

18. Jerry Horne

I love how they added how many of the test pressings there were AFTER it sold out!

Mr. Explorer likes this.

19. I have all of the Beatles related Genesis books. They never clear stock so you got very lucky. Someone got a copy? Sold one to them? Who knows. But that is an amazing price. I paid around $400 or $550 when it first came out and that was a decade or so ago.

In fact except for pre orders (many of which do sell out), Genesis doesn't even bind their books until someone orders them. That's why ff you order something from their site now, it usually takes 6-8 weeks. All is already printed but hand bound once you order.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  20. chacha

Other than the 15 copy rarity factor, I don’t understand the appeal of this?

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  21. SO MY THEORY I POSTED EARLIER WAS CORRECT. They made a mistake on the posted quantity.

22. That is the appeal. If I knew this morning there were 15 copies I probably would have paid the extra $100. Crap thats only 8 or so less Martinis.:tiphat:

23. Jerry Horne

An official Beatles related record limited to 15 copies will ALWAYS be appealing to collectors.

24. chacha

Again, I understand the rarity factor. But not why one would care about test pressings of this.

25. See the reply above yours.....:tiphat:

Jerry Horne likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.