Concert For George reissue CD/LP/DVD Feb 23, 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by zgredzik, Jan 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Aarrrrgh!
    Forget it.

Mazzy likes this.
  2. Boy those kind of posts were happening daily (hourly) when the $600 Dylan set was being sold. Crazy right???

3. You've seen my Beatles room. You've been in it so not sure what you don't understand ? :tiphat:

DmitriKaramazov and superstar19 like this.
  4. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

Hang on. What's Revenge of the Sith got to do with Concert for George?

5. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

They were both released on Blu-ray. Duh! ;)

superstar19 likes this.
  6. bward

bward Senior Member

Mazzy,

I heard a story that George never lived to sign all of the sheets for Live in Japan, so there could be fewer than the subscription of 3500. If you remember, at about the time George passed, Genesis stopped selling George's books (Songs 2, Live in Japan, which were not sold out) and never put them back up for sale. At least thru the website.

I was hoping to get a Live in Japan, but by the time I could swing it, they closed the door and never re-opened it.

I heard from someone who might actually know, that Genesis simply doesn't have any more editions of Live in Japan signed by George because he didn't like signing them, and never got around to finishing the project.

Take it for what it's worth.

I'm lucky to have scored Songs 2 and a Piggies print. I wish I could have picked up the early George titles, but it just wasn't in the cards. I'm happy with what I have.

Wow, I just re-read that last sentence. What is happening to me? :)

forthlin and Mr. Explorer like this.
  7. daveidmarx

750 are now left!

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  8. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Let us know when it gets to 749!

Beaneydave, Mr. Explorer and Mazzy like this.
  9. I had forgotten about the George Live in Japan singing thing. My copy is signed by George. At least the signers are signing just that unbound page (flat sheets before binding happens) so they don't have to deal with heavy bound books.

One thing I love about Genesis (aside from the quality of their books) is that they always stop selling a title right after someone passes away. They stop for a month or so and then begin again. But they never raise their prices after the fact so they don't try to gouge buyers just because some artist dies.

10. daveidmarx

:unhunh:

chacha and Mazzy like this.
  11. Yeah they apparently in error just copied and pasted the other Deluxe info. It originally said 1000 copies.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  12. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

I sold my Live In Japan book in early 2001. I hate myself.

13. Mr. Explorer

Mr. Explorer Trumpet Man/Dapper Dan

Haha wasn’t sure if anyone would ask. It was one of the first major motion pictures to be filmed fully on digital 1080p. So in my mind that means it was pretty expensive/exclusive and that was in 2005 (and unfortunately for today it has locked the film in that resolution forever). And well I can’t picture concert filmographers in 2002 using the same tech as George Lucas before George Lucas did.

(I know more about Star Wars than I do this concert so I was grasping for references haha)

superstar19 and Haristar like this.
  14. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

It was made in 1080p? Something you can basically film with your phone now?

(Eh this is probably the wrong place for this discussion)

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  15. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

I love the concert so I bought the CD set and the DVD but I'm not going to pop for this set.

A question though: Does anyone really care that the deluxe box set includes "a cutting from the original hand painted on-stage tapestry used as a backdrop..."
    Suitable for framing.

"Hey guys , look what I have .
    A cutting of an onstage tapestry!
    Aren't you envious ?" :D

I don't know . It just seems kind of silly to me.

Lewisboogie, forthlin, ted321 and 5 others like this.
  16. rhythmicreviews

rhythmicreviews Active Member

Why isn't Sam Brown's rendition of "Horse to the Water" included in the 2 cd set, while it's included with the vinyl? This doesn't do George's last recording of his life justice...

17. Headfone

Headfone Nothing Tops A Martin

Yes. In my opinion this release is further indication that the Harrison vault is woefully depleted of marketable material.

ronbow, forthlin and ted321 like this.
  18. Mr. Explorer

Mr. Explorer Trumpet Man/Dapper Dan

Help me out here, does the 2CD set have any more music than the old release (that my brother probably has haha)

The way the press release is written makes it seem like it’s complete for the first time, but you all have already disproven that (ie its missing 3 tracks)

19. I disagree. I thunk a beautiful commemorative edition of this show for George’s 75 th Birthday is the perfect tribute.

Half finished works in progress are for another day.

superstar19 likes this.
  20. No. Only the vinyl set has the full show.

21. daveidmarx

It made me consider ordering all thousand sets so that I might be able to stitch the tapestry back together. Now THAT would be suitable for framing... or something!

22. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

I legit thought this thread was for The Concert for Bangladesh finally hitting blu. Damn.

23. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Deal breaker. That performance was the apex of the show.

24. Is there room left on two CDs ?

25. AlmanacZinger

AlmanacZinger Zingin'

Don't know, don't care. The rules of my surrender are above.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.