Concert For George reissue CD/LP/DVD Feb 23, 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by zgredzik, Jan 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ok just wondering. The original CD edition is out of print so good it’s coming back for others who may want it.

2. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

What is the point of including 2dvd and 2 Blu-ray in the same "Deluxe" set? Totally redundant.

Clonesteak and forthlin like this.
  3. Because even though many folks have upgraded to blu Ray so many have not and the discs are so cheap to produce its easier and in the end cheaper to include both.

This is common as you never know which format % the buyers will choose. This way they don’t have to anticipate.

Glenn Christense and chacha like this.
  4. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

My CD player says disc one (2003 version) is 37:44.

So I think they could fit the Extended John “Jellybean” Benitez Dance Club Remix of “Horse to the Water” on there with a few seconds to spare.

Of course, the Harrison Estate could have included the very rare Harrison/Shankar collaboration “Ride Rajban” on the deluxe Harrison/Shankar “Collaborations” boxset but that didn’t happen either. :rolleyes:

5. Ivan

Ivan Forum Resident

The same reason that many 'normal' movies these days release Blu-ray+DVD or Ultra HD+Blu-ray packs: future proofing for people that don't have upgraded tech. Buy the DVD to watch right now, but you don't have to purchase it again to watch in HD when you get a Blu-ray player...

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  6. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Someday they'll run out of things to reissue, and then maybe we'll get something new. I'm not necessarily opposed to outrageously expensive product (proud owner of Dylan's "Big Blue" box here), but you gotta offer me sonething I don't already have in some other (perfectly acceptable) form. Honestly, my hunger for new George music is so strong that if they had taken that blank side of vinyl and put five Brainwashed outtakes on it, I'd probably have bought it.

I do agree with Mazzy that this a nice and appropriate release for George's 75th birthday, but I'll be waiting patiently on the sidelines to see what they release for 76. I can still hope for some vintage 1968 George goodies later this year...

7. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I don't think it is, at all. It's just that a truly compelling vault release would require more time and effort than anyone is willing to put forth. It's the only explanation I can think of.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  8. walrus

Are there really people with the cash to shell out for $100+ box sets who don't have at least a $50 blu-ray player at this point? I'd get this years ago when the technology was new and the players were pricy, but geez...I got my BR player for $30 on craiglist.

ted321 likes this.
  9. Good point but the trend is going away from people owning any physical player at all.
    surprised they dont include a digital version of the film.

Mr. Explorer and chacha like this.
  10. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Um, I bought the super duper Sgt.Pepper box and I don't have a BR player.

That's because I listen to a ton of music but have bought only a few music related DVD's or movies in general.
    That's not how I spend my time, although this concert is one of my favorites.

I don't care for live releases in general and usually dislike "tribute " concerts of any kind.
    If I love an artist I'd rather hear that artist performing his or her music, not a random group of other people .

That's why this concert was a wonderfully pleasant and enjoyable surprise to me. I thought everyone did a fantastic job performing George's music .

That being said, the DVD and CD set I have will do me.
    Some other lucky soul can have my tapestry cutting for the $350.00. :D
    It's all about the music for me .

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  11. walrus

I got mine off Craigslist 6 months ago and have yet to actually use it. I just rip discs to an external hard drive and play them via AppleTV/Plex. It sounds like a lot of work, but it's actually much easier long-term, honestly, especially since I'm already on the AppleTV for all my movies/TV shows/etc. If they'd sell 5.1 audio as FLAC files I'd never need an optical drive again at all.

12. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

It'll be nice to have it on vinyl.

13. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Mentioned also on SuperDeluxeEdition:
    Concert For George / four-LP vinyl package, combo sets & deluxe box
    [​IMG]
    First time on vinyl • new combo packs • deluxe box

Concert For George was first released across a number of formats in 2003 and documented that emotional and rather joyous evening on 29 November 2002 when friends, family and former bandmates came together to celebrate the life and work of George Harrison. Almost 15 years after that release, it will be reissued next month, available for the very first time on 4LP vinyl and other formats, including new video-audio combo packs and a very exclusive deluxe box set.

Despite the big names, there was something very intimate about this event and the people who performed all knew and loved George. They included Jeff Lynne, Eric Clapton, Tom Petty, Ringo Starr, Paul McCartney and Joe Brown, who closed the show with a tear-jerking performance of I’ll See You In My Dreams.

[​IMG]
    New to vinyl, the 4LP edition of Concert For George is the only audio format to have ALL the audio
    Significantly, this new vinyl version features the complete sound recordings from Concert For George – the first time all the songs from the performance have been available on an audio product. This means that Sam Brown‘s stonking rendition of Horse To The Water (arguably one of the best of the night) is included on the vinyl edition. The CDs remain as before, and include a slightly edited down 20-track collection. Side eight of the new vinyl includes a beautiful looking etched mandala-design.

[​IMG]
    Deluxe box set limited to 1000 units worldwide
    A limited edition deluxe box set includes the 4LP vinyl, 2CDs, 2blu-rays and 2DVDs along with a 12”x12” hard-bound 60-page book. Fans who buy this edition also get a cutting from the original hand-painted on-stage tapestry used as the backdrop at the Royal Albert Hall on November 29, 2002. This is mounted on an individually numbered card. This deluxe edition is limited to 1000 worldwide and includes a note from Olivia Harrison, explaining the story behind the tapestry. Before you get too excited, this edition is $350. I can only find a USA pre-order link right now.

[​IMG]
    New combo editions bring together CDs and blu-rays (or DVDs)
    Although the content on blu-ray, DVD and the two CDs hasn’t really changed (the full concert is on the first blu-ray or DVD while the second video disc offers the ‘theatrical version with additional material’), this time around there are combo editions available: a 2CD+2xblu-ray set or a 2CD+2xDVD package. If you don’t want the video (why wouldn’t you?) there’s a two-CD edition as well.

Concert For George will be reissued by Craft Recordings on 23 February 2018. Note the insanely good price on Amazon Italy right now for the 4LP vinyl. Still waiting (at 21.20 17/1) for Amazon UK to deliver their price.

http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/n...-four-lp-vinyl-package-combo-sets-deluxe-box/

mrjinks and DmitriKaramazov like this.
  14. Beaneydave

Beaneydave Forum Resident

Why can't "we" get the deluxe from the uk?
    Must we always get ripped off.
    Anyone know anyone to ask?

peace and love✌Dave

15. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

I wonder how much work is required for Bangladesh to hit Bluray - they probably need to rescan the film at 4K. Let’s hope when they do so, they choose to include more unreleased performances and footage from the event. Perhaps they’re saving this for 50th anniversary celebration...

vinylbeat and Mr. Explorer like this.
  16. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

The tapestry cutting is almost as good as owning:

[​IMG]

forthlin, Glenn Christense and ted321 like this.
  17. Arnold Grove

Paul's linen is particularly nice and white:
    [​IMG]

forthlin and Mr. Explorer like this.
  18. Headfone

Headfone Nothing Tops A Martin

Time will continue to tell, I suppose. Obviously, none of us really knows what or what is not in the vaults. However, I do know that for the past six-plus years, all we've gotten has been reworkings of previously released product. Now, here's more (nice though it might be). Hey, I hope there's a ton of great previously officially unreleased material in the Harrison vault. But, in my opinion, evidence to the contrary seems to be pretty compelling. Time will continue to tell, I suppose.

forthlin and vitorbastos123 like this.
  19. Arnold Grove

Even if the estimates of what are in George's vaults are on the low end of things, there must be dozens and dozens of tracks worthy of release. Such as this beauty of a cover of a Bob Dylan tune:

20. Headfone

Headfone Nothing Tops A Martin

I'll keep hopefully waiting.

21. Arnold Grove

Yes, me too.

And the reason why I picked "Abandoned Love" in particular is that the version by George is as good as it can get. It's basically all finished and pretty much ready to be released as is. And as mentioned, there are at least dozens and dozens of tracks in similar fine form, all ready to go.

22. vitorbastos123

vitorbastos123 Forum Resident

True, they need to simply release an album with this lost George songs, like Ride Rajbun(sorry if the title is wrong), Abandoned Love, Bonzo the Dog, and much other I cant remember right now!

Lewisboogie and Tord like this.
  23. helter

helter Forum Resident

Arnold is this the most exciting thing you can do in the morning at 5:49AM?
    I guess being awake at that hour makes you think of bedsheets? ;)

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  24. Arnold Grove

Usually at that hour I'm more inclined to think of bedpans. ... ;)

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  25. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

As I pointed out a few posts earlier, because it would push the time of the "western" disc 2 beyond 79:05.

I would much rather see/hear all the stuff, but for some reason the "eastern" music must be isolated on disc 1.

How about:
    Disc 1: Arpan, Monty Python, first "half" the other "western songs" [Jeff Lynne, Tom Petty, Gary Brooker, Sam Brown?]
    Disc 2: Sarveshaam, Your Eyes, The Inner Light, second "half" of "western" songs [Ringo, Paul, Billy Preston, Eric Clapton, Joe Brown?]
    [Not enough time right now to check timings, but you get the general idea....]
    And why not mix the "eastern" songs in with the "western" songs, because there's no reason to front-load them [unlesss there is and I am just ignorant about it... yeah, I know that's what George did with Bangla Desh concert and Dark Horse tour, but he had a captive audience then...]

On second thought, Clapton should be on the same disc as Arpan because he was featured on that one. I'll leave you to work out the details amongst yourselves...

DmitriKaramazov and Mr. Explorer like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.