Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

Just read the review. I don't have much Rachmaninoff in my collection so I may buy this SACD when it's released next month!

2. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I don't have any of those works but I do have works by four of the composers: Vanhal, Gossec, Krauss and Rosetti. Rosetti wrote some very nice music horn concertos that are on releases by CPO. I've never been that impressed by the Vanhal I've heard. That said, classical and baroque are my least favorite periods.

3. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

This might interest some of you. I just found out that the German National Archives has digitised many of their newsreel films from the '40s up to the '90s in very good quality. Many short reports are to be found there (including rare footage of Monique Haas recording in the studio of DG in 1949). You can search by keyword or person, everything is catalogued nicely.

Here is an 8-minute short of Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau recording Schubert with Gerald Moore in March 1969, transferred from the original 16mm-footage. You can see them listen to playback of a song recorded the previous day (“Einsamkeit”) and then record another one (“Geheimes”). The studio is Ufa Berlin, according to my research. Unfortunately, they are not on Youtube, so I cannot link to them directly, but you can click here to go to the video.

[​IMG]

4. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

Great to see. I recently purchased the 2005 reissue of these sessions

21 CDs
    Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau
    Schubert Lieder
    DGG, 2005
    [​IMG]

Here is another photo of these sessions from 1967.
    [​IMG]

crispi likes this.
  5. dale 88

[​IMG]

Lisa Della Casa
    Lieder Recital
    Decca
    [​IMG]

from the box set
    Decca Sound: 55 Great Vocal Recitals
    Decca, 2016
    55 CDs

All of the CDs have much bonus material. So much so, that 2 discs so far have gone over the usual 80 minute limit, causing my disc player to stop playing somewhere near the end of the disc. I get around it by ripping the contents.

crispi, Bubbamike and George P like this.
  6. dale 88

[​IMG]
    Alexander Markovich
    Estonian National Symphony Orchestra
    Neeme Jarvi

Chandos, 20114
    2 CDs

Scharwenka: Complete Piano Concertos

Bubbamike likes this.
  7. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Wow, that looks like something I should check out! I read on Wikipedia that his style is similar to Schumann and Rachmaninoff. Is that your take?

8. George P

[​IMG]

My first spin of this didn't wow me nearly as much as his Beethoven and Chopin did, but I am giving it another try now.

9. dale 88

I found the concertos accessible and enjoyable like Rachmaninov, however I do not find it easy to make comparisons among composers. The notes writer mentions Chopin, Liszt and Grieg in the notes about the first concerto. Brahms and Chopin are mentioned in the notes about the second. Rachmaninov and Tchaikovsky are mentioned in the notes for the third and fourth concertos. Whether anyone else would find these concertos interesting -- I can't say.

I found I did not have any reservations about the pianist.

The recorded sound is excellent.

George P likes this.
  10. drh

drh Talking Machine

Scharwenka, by the by, made records himself. Mine are both for Columbia; dunno if he visited other labels. The selections are relatively varied but all "core Romantic," so to speak: Chopin's "Valse Brillante," Liszt's "Liebestraum," Mendelssohn's Rondo Capriccioso, and the pianist's own Polish Dance op. 3/1. That last must have been his "greatest hit" of the time, as I have three contemporary recordings of it by other performers--one a bird whistler!

George P and dale 88 like this.
  11. George P

Good to know. Looks like APR has released his 7 recordings on this set.

12. drh

drh Talking Machine

Hi, George, hope you're having a nice Sunday. I had a look at your link, and "guilt by association" had me moving on to Vassily Sapellnikoff, a name not familiar to me previously. That in turn led to a letter Tchaikowsky wrote to him in 1889, which, among other things, outlined the program Tchaikowsky was planning to conduct at a concert a week later. I found interesting how it bears out Tchakowsky's famous admiration for Mozart; two works of that earlier master figure in the concert:

[begin quotation]

Next week there is a concert at which I am conducting. The programme is:

1) Symphony in D major by Mozart
    2) Violin Concerto by Tchaikovsky (Brodsky)
    3) Excerpts from Mozart's Idomeneo
    4) Overture by Taneyev [5]
    5) Small pieces for violin [by Spohr and Sarasate]
    6) Jota aragonesa by Glinka
    [end quotation]

Even today, Idomeneo is a bit off the beaten Mozart path, and yet there's echt-Romantic Tchaikowsky championing it around 125 years ago, in Russia, at the height of the Romantic period, during the heyday of Russian nationalism. I would certainly love to know how he went about interpreting the music!

Incidentally, "Jota Aragonesa" is one of my favorite musical picture postcards, a real delight. In fact, it figured on one of my very first CDs, a collection of Glinka tidbits purchased even before I had a player of my own (a fellow 78 collector had generously given me temporary custody of his while he digested a big haul of shellac platters that had come his way). Not, as it happens, one of my better sounding purchases; the performances, courtesy of the USSR SO led by Evgeny Svetlanov, are first rate, but the Chant du Monde remastering is a fine example of how early CDs gave the format a reputation for steely brightness. Probably drawn from LP masters and not properly rebalanced would be my guess.

George P likes this.
  13. drh

drh Talking Machine

RiRiIII and JuniorMaineGuide like this.
  14. George P

Wow, never heard that.

15. drh

drh Talking Machine

That's more or less what I said, except, ever prolix, I said "Whoa!" instead of "Wow!" I've ordered a copy of the recording from one of the Amazon resellers; promises to be interesting.

16. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

17. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I like it slightly better. It's still too bombastic for me, to use a word in the article that really fits. I still don't really like it though.

TCHAIKOVSKY Piano Concerto No. 1 (1879 Version)

18. crispi

Just started reading EMI producer Walter Legge’s “autobiography”. This funny bit caught my eye:

When I was sixty-two, I offered my collection [of 78s] to a venerable Swiss institution, which would accept it only on condition that an endowment for a curator and maintenance be provided also. In one of my better rages, I broke every record into bits and tossed the pieces into Lake Geneva.
    :laugh:

fnord, Wes H and George P like this.
  19. Aenae

Aenae Forum Resident

Now listening - String Quartet composed by Debussy:
    [​IMG]
    Movement three is a particular favorite.

Wes H, dale 88 and George P like this.
  20. drh

drh Talking Machine

:wtf: :yikes: :cry:

Wes H and crispi like this.
  21. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I wonder what's in there about the fight between Legge and Klemperer about the dissolution of the Philharmonia Orchestra, the orchestra Legge founded in 1945 and wanted to dissolve in 1964. It got quite ugly and resulted in the formation of the New Philharmonia Orchestra; Legge wanted nothing to do with that, or with Klemperer anymore.

I have the "biography" of the orchestra: Philharmonia Orchestra: A Record of Achievement 1945-1985, written by Stephen J. Pettitt (1985, Robert Hale Ltd.)

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  22. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

I have posted here before about how one of my favorite symphony recordings is Brahms Symphony No. 4 by Kleiber and the Vienna Philharmonic. Most would say it is a great performance with mediocre sound quality which I agree with. My copy is an original non-remastered 80s DG CD. In the name of curiosity and research I ordered and just received a Japanese SHM-CD of this album. I usually don't go for remasters or imports like this but I was very curious if it would improve on the sound of the original CD. Well I have been comparing back and forth and the discs sound quite different. The SHM is much more detailed and almost sounds like a different mix. You can hear all of the different instruments more clearly and distinctly. However, the strings seem a little bit recessed and less powerful compared to the original CD. It is obviously a different mastering, but I am not sure if it is the same as the standard US DG Originals remaster as I don't have that one. I can't really decided yet if I prefer the original CD or the SHM. The original has more prominent string sound and a denser, perhaps warmer sound. The SHM is more detailed, and both seem to have excellent dynamic range. Just wanted to share my findings.

bluemooze and crispi like this.
  23. Åke Bergvall

Åke Bergvall Forum Resident

You inspired me to listen to a third incarnation of the same recording, this time on Blu-ray in surround 24bit/96kHz. This was included in a DG box with all of Kleiber's DG studio orchestral recordings. The Blu-ray contains the Beethoven 5 & 7, Schubert 3 & 8 (Unfinished), and Brahms 4. I cannot compare with the two versions you mention, and I am not sure if the surround is fake or real (only the Beethoven 5 & 7 have been out on surround before, on a SACD), but it sounds pretty good to me. Addenda: on the SACD version of the Beethoven (which I also have), it is stated "New surround mix and new stereo mix: Andrew Wedman," but if that is true of the Schubert and Brahms on the Blu-ray too I am not sure.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
    bruce2 likes this.
  24. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

I can't speak for the either of the CD versions or the Blu-ray, but I have an original pressing of the LP and I've always thought it sounded very good. In fact, it's my favorite recording of the Brahms 4th, for both the vigorous performance and (to my ears) very fine sonics.

[​IMG]

Dan C, hvbias, bruce2 and 3 others like this.
  25. crispi

I've never heard the original CD, nor did I ever hear the SHM-CD. I do have the Originals CD, and I think it sounds very good.

hvbias and bruce2 like this.