Finished Deadwood, Lost, Mad Men.. What's next?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by alexpop, Jan 2, 2014.

1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits.... Thread Starter

Good Girls Revolt looks interesting for the period setting. Only one season?

2. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

Yup unfortunately. It's very good, based on a true story, and refers to many historical events and people.
    I forgot to mention Mindhunters, on Netflix. It's about the development of the Behavioral unit of the FBI and the rise of serial killers in the 70's. It really gets into the weeds about the theories they developed to try to predict the behavior of these killers, but it's fascinating, and a few of the episodes were directed by David Fincher.

trumpet sounds and alexpop like this.
  3. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Last night I watched Luck, tonight I'm watching another old favorite; Magic City. This show also ended prematurely and there was also a lot of talk of a tv movie in the works to wrap it up, but it never happened. Too bad, the series was special.

alexpop likes this.
  4. alexpop

What happened to the big screen version of Magic City with Bruce Willis?

5. scottabs

scottabs Senior Member

If you have Amazon Prime, I highly recommend Catastrophe. For the most part, a comedy, but it has some dark moments in there as well.

alexpop likes this.
  6. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

Did anyone mention "The Knick" yet? It is dark, set at the turn of the 20th century, a major urban "public" hospital (like Bellevue) in New York, directed by Steven Soderbergh. The sets were duplicated from a period photo collection of a famous medical archive, and Clive Owen plays a drug addicted chief surgeon, loosely based an historic figure. The supporting cast is wonderful and the atmosphere has a gritty horse drawn carriage meets new-fangled automobile vibe- the scenes of the staff experimenting with the X-Ray device are priceless. This was a period of considerable innovation in medical science in the United States so the medical scenes mix an almost medieval brutality with early medical technology. Lot's of intrigue, along with the social tumult of New York at the dawn of the 20th century. Robber barons. Poor immigrants. And opium dens. One of the best period pieces I can remember. Ran for two seasons. We watched it on the Amazon stream. If memory serves, it was a Cinemax offering.
    Oops, this belongs in your thread on 'now what to watch.' I'll see if I can move it. Moved!

Rufus McDufus and alexpop like this.
  7. alexpop

My thread?
    Yes it does sir.

8. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

The first two seasons of Chris Carter's Millennium (1999) were amazing IMO. Then they royally screwed it up with season 3. I just pretend season 3 never happened & that puts the series in my top 10 of all time favorites.

9. Fahzz

Fahzz Forum Resident

New here. Sorry if I'm being redundant, but these are all good and free:

Amazon Prime:

Mozart in the Jungle
    Red Oaks
    The Tunnel
    Goliath
    Hooked (Fiinnish Subtitled)
    The Missing

10. Fahzz

Fahzz Forum Resident

Follow up:
    Bosch - Just for his audio gear. McIntosh and Ohm Walsh speakers maybe?

11. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Wow, I heard of it but for some reason thought it was a movie, not a series. Or is there a movie as well?

12. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

No movie that I'm aware of- the tv series was wonderful in virtually every respect. It isn't one of those things you watch for entertainment, and simply forget about. (There is also a 'gross out' scene in every episode--something the producers admitted to doing deliberately-- to make the reality of surgery in the era more visceral. It certainly does that, but not a reason to watch or not watch it). The sets are pretty amazing too.

slipkid likes this.
  13. alexpop

Well watched Sons Of Anarchy 1-7 and must admit it's pretty good. Maybe I'd better give Justified another look.

14. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

It's too new to to tell you it's going to be great... But Showtime's The Chi has been fabulous through the first two episodes.

alexpop likes this.
  15. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Justified is very good but it takes it a little while to get going. Stick with it. You won’t be sorry.

alexpop likes this.
  16. alexpop

Another The W I R E ?

17. Chris from Chicago

Definitely Wire-ish

alexpop likes this.
  18. rjp

rjp Senior Member

5 seasons of boston legal.......enjoy the wonderful repartee between shatner and spader, worth every second you will put into it.

19. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

Another couple of votes for Boardwalk Empire and The Wire. The last season of Boardwalk, while still ok, felt a bit rushed as they had to quickly wrap it up. Still a good watch.

GodShifter and alexpop like this.
  20. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Boston Legal was Spaders and Shatners last great show!

21. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Get out and get some fresh air.

22. alexpop

Agree, re; Boardwalk Empire.

Grunge Master likes this.
  23. jazon

jazon A fight between the blue you once knew

Agreed. They seemed to start off with single episode stories until the end of the first season.

I'm watching The Leftovers now. A bit of a strange and somewhat "out there" show but keeps you interested in what will happen next.

I still need to see Boardwalk Empire and The Shield.

GodShifter and alexpop like this.
  24. alexpop

Leftovers ?
    Reminded of L OS T.

25. Chris from Chicago

I'll be the first to admit that I didn't always know what was going on while watching the Leftovers. But that was miles better than Lost ever was. I bailed out of Lost during season 2 (which was completely divorced from season 1).