40th anniversary of Kate Bush's Wuthering Heights

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chris DeVoe, Jan 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I agree just beautiful...have you ever heard Pat Benatar's version? it's good...

2. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Pat did a decent cover, I agree.

Michael likes this.
  3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

: )

4. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Spot the mistake:

[​IMG]

Randoms, bluemooze and Andrewb like this.
  5. Andrewb

Andrewb Claiming squatter's rights

I'm going to have to play those two albums back-to-back now! Seeing that picture of "Kate in a crate" for The Kick Inside reminded me that a woman where I work told me the crate (or maybe it's the one on the cover of the Lionheart album) belonged to her family and was loaned by them for the photoshoot. I have no idea if she's telling me the truth as she has a brain injury but it seems an odd claim to make. Her favourite Kate song is Symphony in Blue and she does a better job than I can remembering all the lyrics when singing it.

Randoms likes this.
  6. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Symphony In Blue is one of my favourite songs on Lionheart. It’s a lovely start to the album.

Randoms, anduandi, no.nine and 2 others like this.
  7. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

My, my, how I hated Wuthering Heights until last year.

In last year's run of discovering everything Kate Bush, buying all the albums, buying a Laserdisc player so I could watch the The Whole Story laserdisc and have her beautiful videos in a physical format at home, I relistened to WH and discovered the haunting beauty and tragedy hidden beneath the shrill vocals. It's a very memorable piece. The re-recording from 1986 is even better to me, her voice sounds matured on that one and her playing with the vocal range in the fadeout, melting into one with the guitars in the background, totally rules the song for me.

I too hope that Before the Dawn sees a DVD/BluRay release, it was professionally recorded on film! :(

8. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident

I have them all except that first one...Damn near impossible to find!

My first exposure to Kate was the Wuthering Heights video (white dress version). I think I fell in love with the woman first and the music later...Just stunning. :love:

9. Shiver

Shiver Forum Resident

One of the few songs that without fail blows me away every single time.

(ps - if you've never read the actual novel, you should; or at least give it a try. It's phenomenal IMHO. You'll get the song more too, knowing what it evokes so well)

basie-fan, DesertHermit and Moshe like this.
  10. manxman

manxman Forum Resident

Since people are posting covers of "Wuthering Heights", here's the oddest you're likely to encounter. I remember a friend who owned a record store playing this to me in sheer disbelief back in the eighties.

11. Wonderfully dreadful

12. bldg blok

bldg blok Forum Resident

That was my first exposure to Kate and she looked so amazing perched on top of Paul Shaffer's piano for TMWTCIHE. Luxurious hair that I could have slept in. Unlike you when the work week started the next evening, the whole thing flew from my mind.

Seven years later seeing "Running Up That Hill" and other videos from the "Hounds of Love" lp on MTV rekindled the affection and I picked up HoL and The Whole Story. Huge fan since then. Thanks for starting the thread to mark Wuthering Heights anniversary.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  13. stillrockin

stillrockin Forum Resident

Along with all my rock'n'rolling mates I thought gorgeous girl weird song. Didn't take long to re-appraise Kate. Wonderful almost peerless debut album and a fantastic body of work in the 40 years which have followed. No other female artist remotely like her.

14. Audioresearch

Audioresearch Forum Resident

Kate Bush Is a great songwriter!

15. jeddy

jeddy Forum Resident

This Woman's Work
    is one of the most heart wrenching songs ever written

16. ronm

ronm audiofreak

Odd that I never heard this song especially if it ranked so high.Honestly I don't know what to think.Odd to say the least.

17. no.nine

no.nine (not his real name)

What a beautiful song this is; a long time favorite. I've heard some pretty good covers over the years, but I don't think that Pat Benatar's is one of them. It doesn't have the magic for me. I was, however, impressed with the YouTube clip in post #34! That guy better be careful or he's going to lose his voice!! :laugh:

Time to pull out The Kick Inside, I think...

18. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

In the US, it bubbled under at 110.

19. Bigbudukks

Bigbudukks Older, but no wiser.

You guys are probably gonna think I'm lying, but I had never heard of her until maybe 3 to 5 years ago. I listened to Wuthering Heights and agree the songwriting is very good. Her voice is one ocave too high for me. That's the first tie I have ever heard her sing. I assume I never heard her on the radio because I had no radio at that time and me and all my Army buddies were too busy chasing skirt and partying after training to pay attention to much of anything else. All we owned were our duffel bags and the clothes were wore to Basic Training. It's interesting noone I have ever spoken with in the ensuing years has mentioned her name, and yet, she is clearly someone very famous for her music. What a strange occurrence.

bluemooze likes this.
  20. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

21. Mark Snowden

Mark Snowden Forum Resident

Love it, Jah Wurzel, perfect.
    I liked the Aussie bloke and the pop punks too, not so much Pat Benatar.
    Kate Bush is sublime.

22. DesertHermit

DesertHermit Now an UrbanHermit

I agree. I have always felt Pat Benatar’s version to be missing some of the drama and the spell-binding magic that Kate’s had. I think Pat’s vocal is quite lovely, however the generic early 80s band arrangement behind her is so bland and uninteresting that the song suffers fron being turned into karaoke or elevator music. And I say this as a huge Benatar fan.

Have just pulled out The Kick Inside after reading through this thread. Fantastic record and still sounds so good all these years later. I think Kate Bush is really one of those artists who can never be covered adequately by any other artist, no matter how well intentioned or talented.

no.nine likes this.
  23. John54

John54 Senior Member

Good song. I liked it as soon as I heard it. I think I'll YouTube it right now ...

I bought the LP and I have three or four other Kate Bush LPs or CDs as well, but I'm not sure exactly what.

24. Khaki F

Khaki F Forum Resident

It's been a wonderful 40 years.

25. Tokyo Ghost

Tokyo Ghost Senior Member

Great song, great singer/songwriter. Personally I like the 1986 version a bit more.

Most of the musicians on this song were also members of The Alan Parsons Project.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.