Petition launched to reintroduce Technics turntables (Update: The SL-1200 is Back!)*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by englishbob, May 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Davey

Davey NP: Rosali ~ Bite Down (2024)

Just curious since I've never had a table with a damping trough before, but doesn't a lot of dust and gunk get in there over time? Do you regularly clean it out and replace the oil? I guess most 1200 users probably keep the dustcover down most of the time, so maybe not much of an issue. Does it change the sound much when playing a record that isn't warped?

bluemooze likes this.
  2. AArchie

AArchie Forum Resident

I didn't have much of an issue after 10 years but I did keep my cover down most of the time.

3. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

I don't have any experience with a damped tonearm but I do plan on getting it as the one for the original 1200 was for a very reasonable price, user impressions all seemed very positive, and I think it looks pretty badass. I couldn't even tell you what the benefits are lol.

4. Drewan77

Drewan77 Forum Resident

I have owned a new SL1200G for a few days, very impressed but so far can't think of a reason why I might need a damper - maybe I will find one as time goes on?!

5. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

If I had a G with the nicer magnesium tonearm I probably wouldn't bother. To the best of my knowledge the new damper was fitted to a GR tonearm that Kevin had procured, and with it being an aluminum based tonearm, I'd bet it benefits more so from the fluid damper than the better damped and less resonant G magnesium arm.

6. Drewan77

Drewan77 Forum Resident

I have been using a 2M Black/Blue, an AT150ANV/MLX/SA and Audio Note IQ3/2 (3 headshells) with the SL1200G & can't find fault yet.

Quite different from using all these carts/styli on my Rega RP-8/10 clone with an Audiomods V arm. Significantly tighter bass notes, crystal clear imaging and soundstage. In fact the Rega sounds slightly 'woolier', a bit less defined by comparison and with something like a piano sustain, I had recently noticed tiny pitch variations with the belt driven TT (small degrees though, everything is aligned as Baerwald via a Feickert protractor).

I'm glad I have turntables with two very nice but significantly different sound signatures. One of these cartridges will stay permanently on the Rega, probably the IQ3. I suspect the Technics will be used for the most 'serious' listening - it is certainly the most exciting and 'being there live' sound.

7. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

On my 1200gr with stock headshell and ortofon 2m blue I have had zero issues with tracking, sibilance, and have enjoyed all sorts of records.

8. AArchie

AArchie Forum Resident

Kevin told me that the damper does nothing for tonearm resonance. In an email exchange I had when I first got my G and noticed some possible resonances, he said, "If the problem is in the wand, fluid damping won’t help that." He has a soft rubber tube that fits inside the arm tube that pretty much eliminates any tube resonances that might be there. Since I didn't want to rewire my brand new arm, I fit latex tubing to the outside of my tonearm to accomplish the same thing.

The fluid damping helps with tracking warps and resisting low frequency effects. I think Kevin explains what it does in various places on his website. I liked it on my MK2 but so far I haven't had issues with my G, due mainly to not having many warped lps and good isolation under the TT.

recstar24 likes this.
  9. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

I'm in a similar position in that my GR actually sits on my primary vinyl storage (an IKEA besta shelf) which seems to provide tons of isolation from the TT itself. On KAB's page for the mk2 damper, he does mention that in addition to helping with warps tracking, that it improves micro tracing of the stylus, damps low frequency feedback below 10hz, and above 10hz makes the tonearm more stiff, providing more soundstage focus and stability. Are those things you observed with your tonearm damper on the mk2?

10. AArchie

AArchie Forum Resident

Honestly, the only obvious thing was the improved tracking over warps. In general, my detail improved with better carts and vibration isolation. I could see it helping with compliance issues since the cantilever is a spring that the fluid would help damp.

I've been very satisfied with my G without the fluid damping so at this point, I am a little conflicted as to its absolute need in my system. I haven't come across any negatives of having it but I'd be very interested if anyone else has.

11. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

I'm in the same boat...I'm wondering how much this will help on my SL-1200G, but I will probably give it a try anyway.

12. Channel Z

Channel Z Forum Resident

13. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

You need to write them and get it in stone. I seriously doubt Technics is refurbing SL1200s themselves anymore. If you read the fine print:

"Manufacturer refurbished: An item that has been professionally restored to working order by a manufacturer or manufacturer-approved vendor. This means the product has been inspected, cleaned, and repaired to meet manufacturer specifications and is in excellent condition. This item may or may not be in the original packaging."

So the seller could be the "manufacturer approved vendor" and "inspected, cleaned, and repaired to meet manufacturer specifications." Who's overseeing that if Panasonic doesn't even make em anymore? I guarantee you they have some tech squirting a nickels worth of deoxit and Fader Lube in there, running the "Turntabulator App" to check speed and calling them "refurbed."
    LOOK AT THE UNIT IN THE PHOTOS. It's beat to hell. Excellent condition? I passed on one of the special edition "glitter" black SL1250MK5 's (for $300 last year) because it had scratches, and far less damage than that "excellent" example! (shoulda got it, but I didn't really want it that bad that I'd buy a scratched one.)

I mean, I love the SL1200, but paying $700 for a scratched up ex-dj table is just being taken for a ride. They're good, but not that good. And there are MILLIONS of them still out there.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
    AArchie and HiFi Guy like this.
  14. dolsey01

dolsey01 Forum Resident

From what I found, Stokyo grabs these from the Japan market and refurbishes them. I haven't found anything bad really, mostly good reviews. They do come in different grades from other retailers.

If you are patient, you can find NON DJ'd tables for the same price or less.

Ghostworld and HiFi Guy like this.
  15. AArchie

AArchie Forum Resident

If I were looking for a used SL1200 I'd be in contact with KAB. I don't know if he can get the table but he might do the refurbishing and any upgrades. In any case, he'd give great advice.

Ghostworld likes this.
  16. Wngnt90

Wngnt90 Forum Resident

My black SL 1200 mk2 spent it's life in a home system before I bought it. From what I can determine, it was built in 2001 and was very well looked after because it's in mint condition. It's not going anywhere anytime soon!

bluemooze likes this.
  17. Channel Z

Channel Z Forum Resident

I hear ya, everyone thinks these used are 600.00-900.00 it seems. There are a lot of them for sale but it's a mine field I'm afraid. If you could inspect the table and hear it you could make a decision easily. Who knows where these tables have been hauled around by DJs and how many hours they have on them. I'm leaning to buy new with warranty and avoid buyers remorse.

Shawn and H8SLKC like this.
  18. tzh21y

tzh21y Forum Resident

I have been reading that people are having problems with resonance on the G/GAE. I have not heard any resonance on mine at all. When the table was breaking in, it could sound a bit hard at times but that was largely gone after the first 8 hours or so of play. The arm sounds fantastic and this table is priced way below what it is worth. Way below. I have heard table 10K pls that do not sound like this one. Pretty amazing. I am thinking this is it, my last table.

19. AArchie

AArchie Forum Resident

Are you referring to this forum thread when you mention "resonance problems?" If so, for any of my posts, I'd like to clarify that I found resonance but it wasn't a problem. Further, I eliminated most/all of it. If from other sources, could you say where? I'd be interested in what other's have experienced. I don't have a single complaint with my G (other than maybe that the arm should go lower relative to the platter).

Drewan77 likes this.
  20. Drewan77

Drewan77 Forum Resident

If there are resonance issues with the 1200G, I can't detect any whatsoever on mine. I really cannot fault this table in any way.

21. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I don't hear any resonance on my GAE. I also feel this is the last turntable I'll buy/need.

22. migman

migman Forum Resident

I just bought an SL-1210GR. It should be here tomorrow. It will be going up against my VPI Scoutmaster 2 with a Phoenix Engineering Falcon/Roadrunner combo. I will be using a Dynavector 20X2L moving coil cartridge. I also have a Ortofon 2M Black, but that will have to wait until I grab another head shell. I am making some 24/88.2 (my DAC is 16/44.1 only, so I have Roon do the SRC), level-matched recordings so I can do an A-B comparison as I don't have room to set both tables up at the same time. It should be a fun exercise.

displayname and ranch 22b like this.
  23. dolsey01

dolsey01 Forum Resident

You can probably sell that Falcon/Road Runner combo and cover most of the cost of the Technics if you decide to keep it, they are like unicorns!

24. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

Ooooooo... Eeeeeeee... VPI Scoutmaster 2 with a Falcon/Roadrunner combo. Technics have been my primary tables for decades; but, with the Phoenix combo? Things could get dicey there. That's gonna be a real interesting shoot-out certainly worthy of it's own dedicated thread. Had Phoenix stayed in business longer, I'd have that combo right now hooked up to my Thorens TD-150MKII and would be running it right along side my main deck.

25. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

Have a silver 'GR on order. Baffled by the lack of a protractor supplied by Technics. The alignment gauge is OK for approximation but not really optimum, especially since you are aligning the cartridge body in a critical direction and not the cantilever. Not the best way to market to audiophiles.
    I know I can buy one or print one but really shouldn't have to. A simple card stock version would have been fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.