"A Charlie Brown Christmas" CD remaster.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mattb, Oct 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

I think I've had it for quite a while and it was really nice.

[Long story, my "old" computer had problems after a power surge while booting up, so all that music is on that computer. Otherwise, I'd give a more precise review. I'm almost certain that I've had it for quite a while though]

2. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

I have this on LP and also the expanded CD remaster that everyone seems to hate. The previous version of the CD pops up often for cheap. Is this worth getting?

3. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Absolutely! :)

4. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

I'll tell you one thing I definitely like better about the remix/remaster:

In "Hark the Herald Angels," after the loo-loo-loo part, I don't have to dive for the volume control on the first "Hark." That was always the worst thing about the original album.

5. ynnek4

ynnek4 Forum Resident

love the 24/96 hdtracks version!

6. BobbyH

BobbyH Forum Resident

Hi,
    I'm new to this forum. I read this entire thread and have determined I have the "corrected" version of the 2006 Concord/Fantasy release based on the HUB number on the bottom of the cd. I was curious to hear the alternate versions of "Linus and Lucy" and "Christmas is Coming" on the "incorrect" version of the album. Does anyone here have any links where these can be heard or could someone somehow upload mp3 files of them? Thanks!

Keith V likes this.
  7. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

I purchased the recent remaster...the snoopy dog house edition, and like it very much.

8. BobbyH

BobbyH Forum Resident

Is this the "incorrect" version of Linus and Lucy that was on the first 2006 Concord/Fantasy release?

Duophonic and Keith V like this.
  9. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

So. This remix turns 10 this year. Anybody wanna revisit it?

10. Cornholio

Cornholio Are you threatening me?

Steve, have you seen this?

Jeff8086, Keith V and Steve Hoffman like this.
  11. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Yeah. The part I remember as a kid begins right after this clip ends..

Cornholio likes this.
  12. BobbyH

BobbyH Forum Resident

This might sound blasphemous, but listening to the original CD is kind of annoying to me. In some songs you hear the singing in basically only the left channel, and sometimes the piano, bass, and drums sound like they're only coming out of the other channel. So I feel like I'm listening to an a cappella song in one hear, and another song with piano and drums in the other ear. And the degree of separation is too extreme for me. It would probably sound fine on a stereo system, but it's annoying on my iPod.

Keith V likes this.
  13. Smartin62

Smartin62 Forum Resident

I just bought this off of ePray (chewed-up and a little pricey - as always).

You can add this matrix number, as well:

65389AM-01 FCD-30066-2 082506-09

Just FYI (to the uninitiated) how to quickly audibly identify the "incorrect" mixes are:

'Linus and Lucy' has just the piano intro (the "correct" version has both piano and snare drum w/brushes)
    'Christmas is Coming' is an alternate take (slightly-slower tempo).

Keith V likes this.
  14. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

I just listened to this today.

15. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

As soon as I heard that the first pressing of the 2006 reissue had the wrong versions of 'Linus and Lucy' and 'Christmas Is Coming', I went out and bought it immediately before it was pulled from the shelves. I could understand some people being upset that the original versions weren't on it but I was excited that alternate versions were accidentally released.
    I want to hear more alternates or outtakes!

16. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

See this post and several that follow, especially those by @Steve Hoffman.

BobbyH and Keith V like this.
  17. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

I like both. The 2006 is still enough of a change for me to appreciate an album I’ve heard many many times.

18. BobbyH

BobbyH Forum Resident

I read some of those posts, but I’m not sure what I’m supposed to be looking for...

19. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

The three songs with vocals are twin-track recordings, with vocals on one side and instruments on the other. So it's not possible to make a good stereo mix of them. The choices are either to have them sound like they do on the original album (which you don't like) or to make them mono or virtually mono (as they do on the 2006 remix).

20. MaestroDavros

MaestroDavros Forum Resident

Agreed. I was unfortunately not lucky and acquired the 2006 remix long after it had been "corrected", but I'd love for them to release a "sessions" set, assuming the mixing was faithful to the original album and not modernized like the 2006 remix was. I mean they've issued this album numerous times, and will continue to do so, so what harm would that kind of set be if marketed correctly, especially as last year Concord created a proper reissue division. I'm sure they'll come around to it eventually, once they've exhausted every other possible reissue variation they could come up with that is. ;)

rbichamp and Keith V like this.
  21. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

I just thought it was unfortunate that they didn’t stick to their guns and say “no, Linus and Lucy doesn’t sound the same because as part of the remix project we wanted to take some chances. This is not here to replace the original; it’s here to give you an alternate version of the album you know and love.”

22. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

Yes. This is alternate take.

BobbyH likes this.
  23. BobbyH

BobbyH Forum Resident

Are most people here not bothered by the twin-track recordings with vocals on one side and instruments on the other? When I listen to them with my earphones it’s annoying. Maybe I just have to get used to it. I’ve felt this way about other pieces of music too. I remember listening to the prologue music from Blade Runner and the synth melody that starts sounds like it’s more in the left ear than centered and it annoyed me. Maybe if there were other instruments it would sound fine to me, but that single instrument panned a bit to the left is a bit jarring for me. Maybe I’m just crazy!

24. MichaelXX2

MichaelXX2 Dictator perpetuo

I've heard the original 1988 CD, the 2006 CD, the Kevin Gray vinyl, and the HDTracks release.

The 2006 CD is horrendous. Even forgetting the fiasco with the alternate takes, the remixes don't do it for me, and pianos especially sound grainy and disgusting when subjected to no-noise. The HDTracks release is decent but it sounds a little messed with, like the strange stereo panning of the piano on "O Tannenbaum." The peaks are also clipped slightly. The Kevin Gray vinyl is lovely, no real complaints there. However, my favorite version of them all by a good margin is...

...The 1988 CD. :hide:

It just sounds right. It sounds like more or less a flat transfer. It's nice and warm and best of all, it's digital. I usually shut it off before "Greensleeves" starts. I like the original tracklist as is. I picked up a like new copy of it for four dollars! There are plenty of little values like that when collecting CDs.

25. jumpinjulian

jumpinjulian Forum Resident

I just picked up the green vinyl reissue. Anyone got this and can comment on the sound quality?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.