Predicting the Movie Hits and Bombs of 2017

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Dec 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Certainly better than the U.S. version but, even the different cut, doesn't make up for the fact that there isn't much there as far as narrative. Scott is a brilliant director who can tell a story well IF the narrative is constructed in advance but, as was discovered with Prometheus and Alien Covenant, if he's dictating the script changes (and this is true also to a lesser degree with Blade Runner as well), his films tend to be style over substance and a mess. I love Ridley's work he just needs to let the writer do the writing and follow the script.

2. benjaminhuf

benjaminhuf Forum Resident

I agree with this review!

"....Honestly, Scott seems like the wrong director for this project. He works better within a gritty environment, and the light airiness seen much of the time during Legend doesn’t suit him. Granted, even the darker bits still fall flat, but they seem less laughable than the parts where Lily plays Snow White and croons to the forest creatures.

Actually, though the Star Wars parallels seem strong, it’s clear that Scott wanted Legend to be his version of a Disney animated flick. All of the staple elements are there, but he fails to imbue them with the charm and life seen during Walt’s best creations. Legend feels forced and cutesy much of the time, and the script saddles the actors with some of the worst dialogue I’ve ever heard..."

As Oatsdad says, it's truly some of the worst dialogue I've ever heard. Beyond cringeworthy, and all the way to hide your face and cry in pain....

Oatsdad likes this.
  3. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I consider the Director's Cut (or Roadshow version) of KINGDOM OF HEAVEN one of my favorite movies ever. The film is as thoughtful and well-written as it is visually spectacular, completely justifying repeated viewings at its three-hour-plus length. Obviously Scott can contract almost anyone to write his screenplays, so why the huge disparity in the quality of his scripts and dialogue?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  4. I think in many cases a move was greenlit based solely on Scott's name as a director. The final script would come after Scott was attached to a project. That is how big-budget movies are often made. Attach a big director and/or star to a project, and Hollywood thinks they can wing the script.

benjaminhuf and sunspot42 like this.
  5. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Compare that film (which I do like) with God and Kings, especially the casting. You wouldn't think it was the same director.

6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

Getting back to films released in 2017, here's the nominees for the upcoming "Razzy Awards," given to the worst films of the year in various categories:

WORST PICTURE
    “Baywatch”
    “The Emoji Movie”
    “Fifty Shades Darker”
    “The Mummy”
    “Transformers: The Last Knight”

WORST ACTRESS
    Katherine Heigl, “Unforgettable”
    Dakota Johnson, “Fifty Shades Darker”
    Jennifer Lawrence, “Mother!”
    Tyler Perry, “BOO! 2: A Medea Halloween”
    Emma Watson, “The Circle”

WORST ACTOR
    Tom Cruise, “The Mummy”
    Johnny Depp, “Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales”
    Jamie Dornan, “Fifty Shades Darker”
    Zac Efron, “Baywatch”
    Mark Wahlberg, “Daddy’s Home 2” and “Transformers: The Last Knight”

WORST SUPPORTING ACTOR
    Javier Bardem, “Mother!” and “Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales”
    Russell Crowe, “The Mummy”
    Josh Duhamel, “Transformers: Last Knight”
    Mel Gibson, “Daddy’s Home 2”
    Anthony Hopkins, “Collide” and “Transformers: The Last Knight”

WORST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
    Kim Basinger, “Fifty Shades Darker”
    Sofia Boutella, “The Mummy”
    Laura Haddock, “Transformers: The Last Knight”
    Goldie Hawn, “Snatched”
    Susan Sarandon, “A Bad Moms Christmas”

WORST SCREEN COMBO
    Any Combination of Two Characters, Two Sex Toys or Two Sexual Positions, “Fifty Shades Darker”
    Any Combination of Two Humans, Two Robots or Two Explosions, “Transformers: The Last Knight”
    Any Two Obnoxious Emojis, “The Emoji Movie”
    Johnny Depp and His Worn Out Drunk Routine, “Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Careers Tell No Tales”
    Tyler Perry and Either the Ratty Old Dress or Worn Out Wig, “BOO! 2: A Madea Halloween”

WORST REMAKE, RIP-OFF or SEQUEL
    “Baywatch”
    “BOO 2: A Medea Halloween”
    “Fifty Shades Darker”
    “The Mummy”

WORST DIRECTOR
    Darren Aronofsky, “Mother!”
    Michael Bay, “Transformers: The Last Knight”
    James Foley, “Fifty Shades Darker”
    Alex Kurtzman, “The Mummy”
    Anthony (Tony) Leondis, “The Emoji Movie”

WORST SCREENPLAY
    “Baywatch”
    “The Emoji Movie”
    “Fifty Shades Darker”
    “The Mummy”

I've seen about 2/3 of them, and I think all of them firmly belong on this "worst" list. Haaaaaaarible movies.

The 2018 Razzie Award Nominees Are Here, And They Are Bad

budwhite, Dudley Morris and Pete Puma like this.
  7. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I've heard a few people say that the worst film they saw by far was CHiPs so I am surprised it has escaped a Razzie?

8. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

The only film I saw of that bunch was Mother! And while the movie was completely terrible, I thought Jennifer Lawrence gave an excellent performance!

Olompali likes this.
  9. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Saw none of them.

10. GlamorProfession

GlamorProfession Forum Resident

it's about time Johnny Depp gets a lifetime achievement Razzy

11. shokhead

Is it still a razzy for an actor if they still got paid millions?

12. Ms. Heigl in Unforgettable, was...well "forgettable". That was the only stinker on this list I watched.

13. shokhead

14. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

While polarizing, there's no way "mother!" belongs on that list. It's a weird movie but it has ambitions and depth that elevates it roughly 10,000 miles above the rest of that lowest-common-denominator list...

15. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Baywatch was better than expected. Life was an entertaining if derivative high-budget monster movie that would have been relegated to direct-to-video 20 years ago. Ghost in the Shell paled in comparison to the anime and shouldn't have been made. The rest I haven't seen.

"Business Insider" seems to exist to force me to look at Taboola ads and sponsored links to garbage sites.

16. I can’t comment on this specific movie, having not seen it, but: Sometimes it’s those ambitions that make for a truly rank piece of work.

17. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

It was definitely a polarizing film that had some critics cheering and others puking. I don't think it made a profit.

The worst film I saw on the list in terms of lost potential, a film that might have been interesting, was the Tom Cruise Mummy remake/reboot. Good god, that was awful.

That was real bad, too, and was a huge bomb as well.

Plan9 likes this.
  18. Agreed. 'The Mummy' had real potential to be a great creeper, but alas, it became just another Tom Cruise action-movie. A terrible Tom Cruise action-movie. Why this decision was made is beyond me. I mean I get the profit-mongering angle, but what a mistake...

19. Oatsdad

Maybe, but I'll defend "mother!" as something way too effective to be considered for a Razzie. I can't claim to love the film, but there's no way it belongs among those other crapfests...

20. Oatsdad

"mother!" bombed hard: $44 million WW on a $30m budget!

Reviews were generally positive, though: 69% at RT.

My own review is mixed, as I think it's good for a while but falls apart as it goes.

Still, it's a movie that creates a lot of thought and discussion - unlike the other movies on the Razzie agenda...

sunspot42 likes this.
  21. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Hmmm, I thought about it, but as it made no sense to me at all, I had to consult articles that explained the plot. Never a good thing.

22. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I haven't seen this one yet. Will it appeal to fans of Black Swan?

23. Aside from grit, Scott works best with a good script. Legend just wasn’t a well written script.

24. The thoughts and discussion we had “this is bad””it reminds me of the project two films I watched at UCLA””Goddard would be proud of this””that’s not saying a lot” “it deserves a Razzie” “I disagree. It should SWEEP the Razzie”

Alien Covenant had better ratings. There’s great skill on display but a crappy script

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.