Used CD market

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Joey_Corleone, Jan 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Yes, to this day Japan knows how to charge for them.:D

alexpop likes this.
  2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

And I yen for more. Very desirable they were.:)

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  3. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

It's nice that you picked this up and all, but not seeing why you're so surprised. Prices bottomed out long ago. That $1 tag has been common for quite some time.

Like others have mentioned, audiophile titles still fetch a premium, especially if rare. Really think this is "past peak" now. Chains have been closing and independent retailers are getting squeezed by Amazon.

4. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

fab buys but your conversions are off, 49p is more like 75 cents and 25 quid is more like 35 dollars. :)

5. Darryl D.

Darryl D. Forum Resident

For all of you who want to unload your old CD's and can't find a buyer, please consider donating them to your local library. You can enhance their collection and make this music available to countless people. You can also write it off on your taxes.

fastskillfulinjured and slop101 like this.
  6. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

Even if the CD is rubbish the case is good as a replacement. Quality new cases are expensive.

dalem5467 and Dave like this.
  7. lambfan68

lambfan68 Forum Resident

Not all libraries add donated items to their collections. Our local libraries turn around and sell all donations in their "Friends of the Library" store. They don't have the staff or resources to process the donations.

8. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Yes, every time I think the peak has passed, a whole bunch of stuff magically appears. I forget what I have bought so far this year. I know there were a couple of Madonna targets.

However, most of the CDs in my local charity shops are low value, common titles, Always have been. But there is the occasional gem that turns up. Makes it almost worth looking.

9. I think part of the problem with the good titles is that people like us hang onto them. So until we kick the bucket and our kids dump our collections finding the gems in charity shops will always be pure luck. I was talking with a vinyl dealer a little while back and he said something similar - he was concerned that the supply of good vinyl was starting to dry up as more buyers appeared but less collectors were getting rid of their collections.

PhantomStranger and Dave like this.
  10. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I think there's some truth in this statement. Also, people will buy up the good titles and leave the rest. I remember having a scratched up Van Halen disc that I replaced with a near mint version from a charity shop (it stood out a mile amongst the usual suspects). The scratched up disc got donated, and even in its poor state sold within a couple of weeks. One of these Madonna targets is a replacement for a poor copy that I got a refund on. I will probably give the poor copy to my sister who's a fan. Either that or it will end up in a charity shop. I expect the charity shop should be able to sell it.

Dave and Frederick Mars like this.
  11. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

wear gloves. ; )

If I find 5 for a buck I'm happy...

12. IanM007

IanM007 CDs, please!

On thing it IS possible to do, anywhere in the UK, is to visit 3 or 4 charity shops in a day and buy enough used Dido cds to build an extension on the side of your house...

eddiel likes this.
  13. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

You can do that with the Fifty Shades books.

IanM007 likes this.
  14. Malinky

Malinky Almost a Gentleman.

Or `TRAVIS`...`TOPLOADER`.....`ILL DIVO`....`KATHERINE JENKINS`......and that really rare `MONSTER` CD by REM!
    Or you could build the entire house with DVD copies of `THE ASHES` Box set.

IanM007 likes this.
  15. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I recently came across someone selling a collection of Japanese import CDs. I don't know if it was their collection or someone else's. Whoever's collection it was, they were selling it badly. I rarely see this level of cluelessness, but I love it when I do.

Frederick Mars likes this.
  16. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Here it is Lisa Stansfield Real Love. Even the Air Ambulance's 5 for £1 offer can't tempt me.

17. I'd feel guilty over finding something that good for next to nothing. But I'd soon get over it!

18. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Prices are so low stores aren't even stocking or buying to resell cds anymore! :)

It's a good time if you're picking up more common stuff. But a lot of what I try and find is OOP and quite expensive. People keep talking about buying vinyl in the 90's as it's gone up so much in price. I wish I had taken that route for some of the cds released back then e,g. some country releases or power pop stuff.

Recently a local shop took on a consignment of over 20K cds and 500 box sets of the Bear Family variety. Man it was a freeding frenzy. I tried to go back as much as possible. Good prices. Some were pretty much on the money but there was a lot of stuff under priced. I saw loads of people checking prices online before buying. I picked up quite a few cds over a few trips. I was buying based on label at one point as it was impossible to be able to check everything. It's been picked over now though. But the shop pretty much sold everything consigned. On average the discs were $10 each.

I toyed with the idea of putting a "Buying cd collections" ad on Craigslist or Kajiji (local online classifieds) but then figured I'd wind up with mostly junk instead of all the OOP stuff I've been looking for :)

19. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Plenty of really inexpensive CDs from the early 1990's into the early 2000s era. After that, there are slim pickings (No, not Slim Pickens! :) ) as buyers deserted the physical format and switched to iTunes and downloads.

20. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

I picked up 13 CDs yesterday between two thrift stores for a total of $16. Before that I got 12 CDs for $20 at a used CD store. The thrift shops are all $1 while the stores have some $1 bins, but hand pick the 'better titles' and sell them between $5 and $10. You can't really blame them for trying to maximize their profit.

There's a big store in Poughkeepsie that still stocks a lot of used CDs. Last year they purchased a huge private collection of around 40,000 CDs. They price them based on some combination of ebay/discogs listings. When the collection came in they put it out in 5,000 CD chunks unpriced. You brought them to the counter where they looked them up and priced them. If you chose not to buy them then, they went onto the shelves. I need to go back this weekend and see what they did with the rest of the collection. Surely some of them ended up in their $1 bin.

21. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

That's the peak production of CDs which is why you see so many of them from this era. Of course, it doesn't mean every CD produced in the 90s and early 00s will be easy to find.

stereoptic likes this.
  22. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

As I pick through thrift stores I often wonder who is the Montovani of used CDs? I'm saying Enya...

stereoptic likes this.
  23. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Allison Kraus
    Norah Jones
    Enya
    Big Head Todd & The Monsters
    R.E.M.
    Natalie Merchant

I could go on...

Dave, zongo and zphage like this.
  24. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

A lot of the CDs I buy are pretty scratched up...yet I've had zero issues with any playing.

25. Channel Z

Channel Z Forum Resident

In my area:
    Hootie And The Blowfish
    Indigo Girls
    Alanis
    Melissa Etheridge
    Sarah McLachlan
    Crash Test Dummies
    Titantic Soundtrack (this might be the king)
    Worthless 90s Movie Soundtracks
    Horrible Christmas Albums
    Enya (as mentioned above is very common around my parts also).
    Babs (not as common as vinyl though).
    Savage Garden
    Spin Doctors
    Bad 90s Country Albums (Shania is the queen).

Others that were common at one point but not so much now:
    U2 Joshua Tree
    Gabriel So

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
    Rodz42 and zongo like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.