Real Time Click Repair MiniPC Setup

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by krisbee, Jul 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. az5456

az5456 Active Member

Single-Band in iZotope has a much worse quality than Multi-Band, I would guess that it's just about on par with ClickRepair RT (but I never did a comparison with this setting), so I think if it's not possible to run iZotope in Multi-Band mode, it makes no sense to use it instead of ClickRepair. The real strength of iZotope over other declickers is the Multi-Band random mode, where an intelligent algorithm tries to separate unwanted clicks from music and even detect very small clicks at the same time. This leads to the fact that even on very high declick settings the degradation of the audio quality is comparatively small, while on simple, "dumb" declickers, the music becomes totally distorted and unlistenable if the strength of the filter is set too high.

2. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

I want to use the Multi-Band mode but would need some assistance. Is it possible to post screenshots of your settings so that I may replicate them? Right now, I'm having some difficulty in setting it up so as to take full advantage of it, as you are. :(

3. Strat-Mangler

A possibility. The aforementioned Atom CPU posts a rating of 1301 in the CPU benchmark tests by PassMark while the Pentium G2030T tests at 2470 on the same test.

However, Mintsauce, keep in mind that I just tried a variety of settings and have managed to make it work by using the MME input/output types instead of DS or ASIO. Try that and see if it works.

However, I'd be curious to know what the difference would be tone-wise if I were to somehow make it work with the DS or ASIO inputs/outputs.

4. Mintsauce

Mintsauce Forum Resident

I got it working on my main pc. The mini pc was maxing out, if you look in the bottom bar it gives you a %, it was running close to 100% all the time and still was garbled. Didn’t get much time to play with it on my main rig, but had it running on the top settings, set to 4 and in multi-band i could hear it was pulling out music when I isolated it, so this was surprising. I’ll revisit it when I have more time.

5. Strat-Mangler

Nice! And please let me know the input/output types you were able to use at 96KHz ; MME, DS, or ASIO.

6. az5456

az5456 Active Member

Did you set the buffer size in ASIO mode to 1024 in the VSTHost device settings and the Focusrite ASIO settings?
    See the screenshots (and please, use 48 instead of 96kHz)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  7. Strat-Mangler

I don't have a Focusrite but rather a SoundBlaster card capable of treating ASIO at 96KHz without an issue in other applications, hence my confusion in this matter. In a few hours, I'll post more info and screenshots to give more background.

8. az5456

az5456 Active Member

Sound quality wise, it shouldn't make any difference if you use DS, MME or ASIO, so take the one that works for you.
    And the 96kHz is mainly a question of faith, if I have the possibility I use it because I feel better then, but I don't think that there is any significant audible difference to 48kHz. So if you have to save processing power, it's much wiser to reduce sampling rate than switch from multiband to singleband declick, because that difference is huge.

9. Night Version

Night Version Forum Resident

Currently listening to the Opeth's - Watershed (RSD release) with RT at 24/96 via the Mac Pro. This is truly amazing.

10. Strat-Mangler

All right. I promised more details. Here's how it all goes.

First, the way my setup currently looks.

[​IMG]

No sound coming using ASIO with this bitrate.

[​IMG]

With 88000, only the left channel is audible and no clicks/pops are removed no matter what.

Other sample rates create some kind of repeating of whatever sample the program is digesting and adds it on top, creating a loop that eventually becomes nonsensical noise. Again, this makes no sense whatsoever as I use ASIO regularly when I play piano with sampling applications such as Synthogy Ivory and Quantum Leap Pianos. I'm at a loss.

Here are my ASIO channel settings within VSTHost.

[​IMG]

Deselecting any number of channels does not change anything. Removing the checkmark in "Load all output paths" doesn't change a thing either.

My ASIO Control Panel looks different than yours because of the devices we each use. Instead of the Focusrite, I use a SoundBlaster X-Fi Titanium HD sound card.

[​IMG]

Changing the Buffer Latency setting changes nothing, either.

These settings do work.

[​IMG]

11. Strat-Mangler

However, the ones I'm sticking with which also work are the following.

[​IMG]

So in the end, all is good but I'm really wondering what the differences are between MME, DS, and ASIO... and whether there are any advantages to using one versus the other.

12. ThinWhiteDuke

ThinWhiteDuke Forum Resident

All, Just thought I'd let you know I got my setup working last night, Behringher UCA202 and a mac air using a legacy version of java (6x i think) and a 2015 version of ClickRepairRT.

A big big thank-you to Mintsauce who provided the youtube wayback machine link, I was struggling to find the mac dmg for ClickRepairRT on the wayback machine snapshot and was starting to worry I'd missed out on my opportunity.

It's awesome, works so well with my CSNY records though I had to turn it off for Bobby McFerrin as he uses a surprising amount of 'mouth-clicks' in his beat-box style of a capella solo singing!! :D

Will now purchase a license and work out which headless PC variant I want sitting on my audio stack (been struggling to find a pc case that's 1 U high and bang on 430mm / 16.9" wide so it matches the rest of my audio gear stack ).

p.s. Strat-Mangler and Mintsauce, I'm pretty sure I got 24bits and some nice KHz rate (192?) with my setup despite the earlier assertion that ClickRepairRT "tops at 16-bits 96KHz" (though I can't confirm as I'm at work now).

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
    Mintsauce likes this.
  13. Night Version

If you install Oracles Java you’ll be happier. Enables hi-res.

14. Strat-Mangler

Kind of impossible as the author confirmed to me by email that he programmed ClickRepair RT to top out at 16-bit 96KHz. Always possible something else is upscaling it elsewhere but I'd trust the author's claim.

15. ThinWhiteDuke

I did install Oracle Java 10 first, then ran the dmg installer which promptly asked for Java 6 to be installed :cry:

16. ThinWhiteDuke

Thanks, yep entirely possible, just going from my memory of what I recall from the drop down menu option last night at home. I'll take a look tonight and take a screen shot if it is more, perhaps the on screen menu is reporting a higher figure than is actually being used.

17. krisbee

krisbee Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just use the java version, not the mac version...

Night Version likes this.
  18. ThinWhiteDuke

I just checked the specs on the Behringer UCA202 and it looks like it only supports max 16bit48KHz so I'm definitely wrong :D

Will be interested to see what the ClickRepairRT drop down box shows on screen tonight.

19. Mintsauce

Mintsauce Forum Resident

I set everything to 16/96 as that’s the highest that the program can set. I can set my playback device to 24/192 and my dac shows as such, but something else is converting it up to this (asio?)

20. Night Version

Now you can install oracle again over it.

21. Night Version

I’m going by what I’m seeing on the screen as the options available to me.

22. Night Version

I can set up to 24/96. If theres some upsampling going on, or if I’m really getting 16/24, is unknown to me.

23. Strat-Mangler

Is this within the ClickRepair RT window?

24. Night Version

Yes. I’ll post a screenshot when I’m back to my Mac Pro at home.

These 24bit options became available once installing Oracle Java over Apples legacy Java 6. On the dev’s recco. Prior to that I was limited to 16/44 or 16/48.

Mintsauce and Strat-Mangler like this.
  25. az5456

az5456 Active Member

@Strat-Mangler:
    So, let's see if we can solve your issues.

The first thing that irritates me is, why the modules are connected twice (yellow and orange lines), I only have them connected by one yellow line. Maybe the second line is something like a feedback or so, but I'm sure that shouldn't be there. So try to remove the connections (click on a module, and then in the PlugIn menu you should find something like break connections, I don't know how it's translated to the english version) and re-connect them manually just using the upper connection ports.

The wave device setup looks right to me, you must play with the buffer size to find out which value will work best for your setup (no dropouts), I know the optimal values for Tascam and Focusrite interfaces but not for Creative.

In the ASIO channel selector it's important to just select the input and output you intend to use (on my Tascam interface, it didn't work if I loaded all ports), so declick "Load all..." and select the ports you want, I think that for you it's the input "Aux L+R" and the output "Front L/R".

The ASIO Buffer latency should be selected as high as possible.

But, if MME works without any issues (dropouts, jumps, crackle), there is no reason to mess around with ASIO.
    The difference between the two audio transport protocols:
    With ASIO, the software communicates directly with the audio device; with MME, the communication between soft- and hardware is passed through Windows.
    So, ASIO has a much lower latency than MME (but that doesn't matter here), and has also benefits if you record more than two channels (stereo) at a time, but we also don't want to do that.
    The audio quality is exactly the same with both protocols, the digital data that is transported between the software and the audio interface is the same, just the way how the data is transported is different.
    Conclusion: For our purpose, it's completely irrelevant if we use ASIO or MME. If one of them works, everything is perfect, just use it and be happy ;-)
    As you use a regular sound card, I recommend to mute all in- and outputs in the windows sound mixer except the ones you use for the declicker, activated inputs that possibly are passed through to the output (e.g. microphone inputs) can lead to additional noise or interferences. You should also deactivate all windows sounds and close programs that could play some sound (it could be annoying if you suddenly hear some strange and loud sound from a messenger or security software update reminder while listening to your favorite record).

Mintsauce and Strat-Mangler like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.